Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Discuss: The import version of the Roswell Rhoads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Discuss: The import version of the Roswell Rhoads!

Here's the idea. Lets compile all information, both statistical and practical, and compile it for anyone who is curious about these elusive beasts. (I know I am for one).

Here is what I know about them:
    Made in Japan
    Single Volume
    Duncan Design humbucker
    String through body
    Rosewood board with Crop circle inlays.

So lets move to a few questions:
    What years were these made? What kind of wood was the body made of? How many were made? How do they balance and play ? (both sitting and standing)? Are they practical?

Feel free to add any more!

Discuss!

Re: Lets Discuss: The import version of the Roswell Rhoads!

I had 3 (USA, Jackson Pro, and Grover Jackson), and here's what I recall:

Balance was Rhoads-ish (I used a DiMarzio Cotton Cliplock, so it didn't move).
    DD Humbucker I thought was pretty good - better than the HB-102 (JB copy)
    Playability was USA-all-the-way
    Tall skinny frets
    Made *I believe* the year after the USA models came out (97 for the imports?)
    Practical? Not for me. It's a one-hum wonder, and you get only one sound unless you put a push-pull knob to split the hummer, and then you get a Strat tone, which is out of place for a Roswell.

The body is narrow, but that tip will get you in serious trouble on a crowded stage [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The only difference the Grover had was pointy head and plastic white dot inlays (moto at least looks pearly) - other than that, it was just like the Pro.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I sooo want a roswell rhoads that guitar looks wicked

Comment

Woops, probably should have proofread my own post before, well posting it. The downside to posting at work!

Thanks for the info Newc, do you have any other comments regarding the import version of the Roswell?

Comment

the body was poplar..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Ummmm lessee....coulda used some nice green binding on the neck and head [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A 2 hum version woulda rocked.

A 2-hum & Floyded version would have slain [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nearly impossible to sit with due to the long horn, the location of the jack, and the curve of the body. Big fellers might find them uncomfy to even wear (like me) but them scrawny runts might enjoy them [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Interestingly, the TOM was slightly recessed as the top of the body had a hellacious arch.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Also, you need a special stand for them - I've got an Ultimate 3-guitar stand (gallows-style - hang by the neck) and the head was too narrow, which means the long tip was INSIDE the neck hook (bad IMO). I left it in the case when not in use (or laid it on the bed till I put it away).

Newc

Comment

Did the import version have the LSR tuners?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel:
                  Did the import version have the LSR tuners?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

What more is there? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    Only Jackson would know exactly how many were produced. Personally I've seen about 10 in both Black and Metallic Blue.

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                      What more is there? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      Only Jackson would know exactly how many were produced. Personally I've seen about 10 in both Black and Metallic Blue.

Newc
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What about more players opinions? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Mine plays pretty good. I thought it'd be tough to hit the top frets 'cuz of the body shape but it's not really a problem since it is very thin.

This thing is light!

I didn't care for the Duncan Designed pickup though so I put in a Dimarzio Evolution:

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

-24.75 scale
                          -Recessed Tuna
                          -Very light in weight.
                          -Fuggin long and skinny case - looks like you should be carrying pool cues in it.
                          -Tunes down nicely.
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

So no one has more info about these rare guitars?

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] You sure it was 24 3/4"? I thought it was 25 1/2" [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X