Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got EMGs installed, but Tone pots are backwards, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just got EMGs installed, but Tone pots are backwards, why?

Originally posted by M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L:
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. A thought just crossed my mind. Is there a chance that my tech used tone pots from a left handed guitar? Would that cause the tone pots to be "backwards" per se?

Time to go looking for a new tech......
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I owe you an answer. To get your pots working in the right direction (which is clockwise for you), then resolder everything on both two pots. You have three pins on each pots. Take a tone pot 1. What's on the right pin (from your point of view), solder on the left, and what's on the left, solder on your right. Do the exact thing with the tone pot 2.

Since you can turn the pot however you want, before soldering turn the pot around, so the pins will be pointing at left. Now, the upper pin is connected to the housing, right? And the lower one goes to the switch. Change these places, so the lower gets soldered on the housing and the upper goes to the switch. You basically leave everything as it was, you only take out the wires from the pins and reverse-connect them.

I hope you understand... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L:
      He seemed kinda pissed that he had to "completely rewire my custom job he spent all day doing" but at the moment I don't care.

This will be the last business I do with this tech AND his store.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a wise decision. It's rather obvious the guy is a doofus. Firstly, installing EMG's doesn't take "all day", even for a home hack. Secondly, if he was a pro, he would have been able to wire them right in the first place - or at least rewire it to make it work correctly before handing the guitar back to you. Thirdly, someone with a professional attitude wouldn't be bitching back when you say you're not happy with it, but just redo it to keep you happy. A happy customer is a returning customer...

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
        A happy customer is a returning customer...
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True.

And this guy could admit his mistake. It is not the end of the world if you don't connect the pots right.

Comment

Immortal, what you said about reversing the pots makes complete sense, if I had brought the guitar home, I would easily attempt what you said. I thank you for your time in explaining on how it works and how to fix it.

Being that the guitar is already there, I'm just let him deal with it, as I wouldn't have time to look at it until the weekend anyway. But for next time when I'm doing this on my own, I'll definately look back to this thread for reference.

Over the next few months, I was planning on purchasing a brand new guitar, pickups for my ibanez, pickups for my strat, AND about 4 or 5 effect pedals through them.

Due to this incident, I'm going to the other shop in town, where I have have never had problems with. They are usually a little more expensive, but I'm willing to pay the extra price and know I'm being dealt with by a competant person.

Just to add, he asked me yesterday how my selector switch was when I brought it in. Being the guitar is brand new I told him "perfect why?". He said that it broke when he was doing the first install, blamed it on "being a crappy plastic switch" that must of snapped when he placed the guitar on its front. Luckily he said he put a new one in, free of charge.

Comment

Working...
          X