Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got EMGs installed, but Tone pots are backwards, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got EMGs installed, but Tone pots are backwards, why?

I just got a set of EMGs for my Jackson DKMG (81 and 60) and got one of the techs in my town to install them (I don't know much about guitar wiring).

I told the tech that I'd like a Master Volume (closest to strings), and then the other two controls to be tone controls (similar to a strat setup with 3 knobs).

Well he just called saying that the pickups are installed, but due to the configuration that I wanted (1 volume, 2 tones), that the tones had to be installed backwards, meaning you turn them counter-clockwise instead of clockwise.

He said that he checked EMGs website and there weren't any wiring diagrams showing how to install 1 volume and 2 tones, only 2 volumes and 1 tone, (or other combinations involving 4 knobs).

Just to add, I told him to pull out the Turbocharger booster thingy and put a tone pot in its place as the third knob.

Basically my question is, is there a way to remedy the situation, or am I stuck with backwards tone pots? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for your time,
    Meaty

Re: Just got EMGs installed, but Tone pots are backwards, why?

What?! Pots don't have the changable openning and closing direction! If you buy clockwise, then it is clockwise. Otherwise it is not.

I will check my schematics with two tones and one volume, okay?

Comment

Here you are:

This is actually a strat configuration, but it is very similiar. Just ignore the 5-was switch and the middle pickup. You solder the braid just exactly to the switch like HZs were.

Remove the "-med" in the url for a bigger picture.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Woops, another issue.

You have to specify, which knob for which pickup. When having one tone knob, it is wired on the main pin and both hots from the pickups go to that pin (from switch). You will have to do this:

solder the desired tone pot on pin of the switch you like! But just make sure you solder it on the right pin. Either left or right.

Don't forget to connect both of the grounds of the tone pots to the volume pot.

Comment

EMG's website should have diagrams for any kind of wiring configuration. Your tech sounds like an idiot anyway for having the knobs work backwards! [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Email EMG directly and Rick will be able to help you out.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Immortal got to the pic before me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Do what he said! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I actually just got my Les Paul back today with the ZW set, and I had the 85 in the bridge with the 81 in the neck, but that's got V/T and V/T. My Hamer's got two chrome 81s with V/V/T, and my Dinky has the 85/60 with V/T. There's any number of ways you can wire up EMGs.

Comment

What is that damn little thing on a pot called, that makes it a tone pot? I can't remember, damn!

Help somebody.

Comment

Capacitor? Resistor? One of those.

Comment

Actually, the knob itself is a resistor afaik.

Comment

Yes, it is a capacitor.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. A thought just crossed my mind. Is there a chance that my tech used tone pots from a left handed guitar? Would that cause the tone pots to be "backwards" per se?

Time to go looking for a new tech......

Comment

"Pot" is short for "potentiometer," a variable resistor.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Sounds like your tech is clueless when it comes to electronics, or he just didn't bother to fix it. To reverse the "direction" of the pot, you'd just need to wire it in reverse: The leg that is soldered to the pot casing should be soldered off, so it's not grounded, and then ground the opposing leg instead. Not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
                            Sounds like your tech is clueless when it comes to electronics, or he just didn't bother to fix it. To reverse the "direction" of the pot, you'd just need to wire it in reverse: The leg that is soldered to the pot casing should be soldered off, so it's not grounded, and then ground the opposing leg instead. Not that hard.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right! Ignore my upper post about the openning direction. Damn ... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks again for all the information people, you've all been really helpful. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

As I was browsing EMGs wiring diagrams, I saw the option of having 2 volumes and 1 master tone and made the decision that I'd rather have my guitar wired up that way (so each pickup has its own volume control).

I called him up today and told him I wasn't happy with the situation of having a "backwards" pot. I told him to rewire it with the 2 volumes/ 1 tone and to look at EMGs website for directions on how to do it (at least this way he has instructions in front of his face and can't mess it up.....or can he [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] )

He seemed kinda pissed that he had to "completely rewire my custom job he spent all day doing" but at the moment I don't care.

This will be the last business I do with this tech AND his store. All my friends who play guitar and all have bands already know about this situation. They all agree that if this tech can't wire a guitar properly, then they aren't bringing their guitars anywhere near him.

Thanks again everyone, next time I upgrade my pickups in my other two cheap guitars, I think I'm going to try to solder them in on my own [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Laters,
                              Meaty

Comment

Working...
                              X