Kelly XLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly XLR

I recently got a 98 kelly XLR 2 hum, 1 vol, 1 3-way.Bound neck and headstock VERY nice pearl sharkfins( a lot nicer than some USA jacksons)JT-580 trem.The thing that struck me right away is the acoustic resonance of the body.There are lots of chips in the paint but there is absolutly no primer on the body.Looks like the wood was sealed lightly then painted dark metallic violet.Was this standard operating procedure at the japanese plant?I've seen so many with the thick paint jobs this just had me thinking. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Re: Kelly XLR

First of all: Where the hell are the pics???? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Second: Actually, I see a lot of bodies chip this way. It almost seems that the primer they use doesn't adhere to the wood as well as the paint adheres to the primer, hence pulling it from the body when chipped. Did that make sense? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
      First of all: Where the hell are the pics???? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yea! What he said. Where are the pics?

Comment

The XLRs were made in '98? I had one, and I thought they were only made in '95 or '96. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Anyway, those are kick ass guitars! Gotta love the reverse sharks and reverse headstock with the binding!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My bad on the model year TJ.first 3 digits are 000.Blue book says mfg 94 to present.This one has no neck plate just the counter sunk neck screws.Serial no.is stenciled on the back of the headstock.This one is probably 94-96, 98 they dicontinued this finish.I would post a pic but the software to my camera won't load completly and is a POS!!The body is kind of rough but the neck is so nice,the sharks have lots of color.
          I'm thinking of putting a quilt top on it and shooting it in pavo purple.I havn't had it apart yet to see which pickups are in it because it just sound so incredible I can't quit playing it!!.

Comment

A guy just reported a Kelly XLR to me. Serial J0059XX. Same specs as stray's above. Weren't these built in 1990 which the serial indicates? They are not in any catalogues. I have pics but will await the guy's permission to post. He may register here himself.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Pics!

I love the Kelly Xlr, hate the neck but other than that it's my favorite looking guitar next to an RR1 if the fins were reversed, Wants to see it.

Comment

'94 Kelly XL here.. Not a fan of the reverse on the kellys but as it's basically the same exact guitar, I'll say it is my favorite neck I've ever played. Mines the same color, Deep Metallic Purple, rear corner is broke off about 1/2 inch, and as well, my sharkies are stunning!! Pretty dark rosewood too. Mine has the 580LP with the squared floyd style plate. I love that guitar. And I've thought about the same thing as you. I want it quilted, the wife-ish likes the purple. Maybe going quilted purple... Enjoy it!!
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Weren't these built in 1990 which the serial indicates?
                  Henrik

Comment

Yup. Sweet guitars. I have a twin to the XLR in question. I should really bust it out more often than I do.

Sharkies on it blew me away - looked better than the ones in my old USA Dinky that was hanging next to it.

Comment

I'm sure these were out of production around the same time as the other Professional models with the XL designation, because they still had MOP inlays and binding, which was absent on the KE3. So, probably none made after `95.
                      sigpic

Comment

Pics of a few are here now:
                        http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?/...son_Kelly_XLR/

Facts: They are not in any catalogues. And this one below is from 1990, right? Were they perhaps only produced in early 1990? Show me some more XLR serials, please.

Henrik

Comment

I wish i had taken pics of the serials on the xlr's ive owned. Damn me.

Comment

I know my Kelly XL is a '94. I may be completely wrong here but if I remember correctly the SN is J004XXX. So Henrik, I think that's a '95.

The production Kelly shows up for the first time in the '93 catalog only as a Standard. And the XL is only in the '94-95 catalog. But you're right, no XLR's.. (Except the SWEET trans green reverse Custom shop in that catalog..)
                            Last edited by warlok; 02-13-2011, 01:00 AM.
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Wow you revived a really old thread I started in 04 that must be a record.

Comment

Working...
                              X