Striped ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Striped ebony?

Yea, though you have to ask John I would imagine when you see "striped ebony" on NAMM spec sheets that usually isn't Macassar Ebony. Madgascar Ebony is not completely jet black as jim said, thats the most common ebony used on guitar fingerboards. I am not positive but I believe the much more expensive Gabon ebony is always jet black. I don't even know that its necessarily a lower grade if its striped madgascar ebony, it may just be that it has some slight color variation that its not used in the standard "all black" fingerboard production. I dunno though, striping in that type of ebony might be considered a "figure imperfection".

Whats great about Macassar Ebony is that despite it being "a step up" its not all that unusual of a wood and its not particularly expensive unless you are getting a one piece neck or something. Unless it was absolutely necessary that the fingerboard be jet black for color matching purposes I would definitely always take Macassar Ebony as far as customs go.

Comment

Working...
    X