Striped ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striped ebony?

I've noticed that many Jackson Stars model features a "striped ebony" board instead of the classic ebony. What "striped" stands for? It's some sort of ebonized rosewood?

Re: Striped ebony?

It's a species of ebony called Macassar Ebony. Same thing, just has lighter streaks through it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      It's a species of ebony called Macassar Ebony. Same thing, just has lighter streaks through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. While the ebony on Usa Jacksons is not from Macassar?

Comment

A lot of ebony is dyed black anyway. It doesn't necessarily mean lower quality, but generally people expect an ebony board to be black. In real life, ebony has a wide range of shades, and sometimes even prominent light colored streaks in it.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Macassar Ebony is not a bad thing, many prize it for its lovely striping. I prefer that over the boring black Gabon Ebony (or dyed to jet black ebony). The stripes are mainly chocolate colored.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            A lot of ebony is dyed black anyway. It doesn't necessarily mean lower quality, but generally people expect an ebony board to be black. In real life, ebony has a wide range of shades, and sometimes even prominent light colored streaks in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a good example of a light colored streak in the ebony. That isn't a glare or photo effect.

Comment

If you look at my KV in the other thread, you can see that the fretboard isn't uniformly black.

Comment

Here's another board where the ebony isn't uniformly black:
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Here's another board where the ebony isn't uniformly black:

[/ QUOTE ]

Where? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

D'oh! How'd that happen? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If you look at my KV in the other thread, you can see that the fretboard isn't uniformly black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice guitar, indeed. The sharkfin inlays are mother of pearl?

Comment

Macassar:
                        http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/necks/sn731A.jpg

Regular (sometimes called Gabon Ebony or Madagascar Ebony):
                        http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/necks/sn1233A.jpg

Preference I guess but I prefer the striped variety. I've never seen a one piece Gabon ebony neck, ever and I don't think I've ever seen a one piece Madgascar Ebony neck either. But you see Macassar Ebony necks occasionally, I wouldn't call it common but I guess maybe its easier to find a big enough piece of it to cut a full neck like this one:
                        http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/necks/sn935B.jpg

Comment

I prefer Macassar by a lot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice guitar, indeed. The sharkfin inlays are mother of pearl?

[/ QUOTE ]
                            No I don't think they are, they look the same as the ones on my WRXT Warrior.

Comment

Macassar Ebony is usually considered a step up from standard run of the mill ebony, and can be quite dramatic as well. And while Macassar is striped, that also doen't mean that all striped ebony is immediately macassar ebony. Ebony isn't perfectly black 100% of the time without any other color in it. "Striped ebony" may simply mean that it is genuine ebony, but not "Grade A" as it were due to it's color imperfections. Same warm sound, just not black as nite. That's what I would think you're getting when you see striped ebonby
                              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X