Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rhoads Pro in the house! (pics)

[ QUOTE ]
    Most appreciative of any help, no rush...

Reflex pickups were an upgrade option. 8)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, here are some pictures and a wiring diagram. When I mention the pickup cavity grounding in the pictures/diagram, I'm referring to the little grounding points my guitar has in the PU cavities. I suspect they're nothing vital, just a "gathering point" for the wires so that you don't have to route all of them on to a back of a pot. Or at least that's what I think they're there for.

Anyway, I hope this helps [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

http://www.cc.puv.fi/~e0300583/pics/...ronics_wiring/

(I won't post them here cos they're so damn big they would stretch this page way too much horizontally.)
    -Janne

Comment

holy crap, that wiring looks like a NIGHTMARE!

Comment

Thanks for the huge pics, and the effort put into the diagram is much appreciated. Nice job.

Another question.

Does one of your pots (either boost or tone) have a center detent?

I ask because I have only 1 vol, and then a choice, and am considering adding a quik connect for ease of switching from boost to tone, or reverse. However, I think I should stick with whichever pot of yours has the center detent and just pick one.

Unless I add a stacked pot. 8)

Comment

Now that I look a bit more in detail I can see your Boost/Cut has the center detent (little hole/mark) on back of pot. But appears the tone does as well...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Now that I look a bit more in detail I can see your Boost/Cut has the center detent (little hole/mark) on back of pot. But appears the tone does as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, both the tone AND boost/cut -pots have the center detent. When they click onto center position, that's the zero point right there. From there you can either boost or cut the signal and boost or cut the highs with the tone pot.

[ QUOTE ]
            holy crap, that wiring looks like a NIGHTMARE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's just what it is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Whoever put the reflex-circuitry in there didn't do a very clean job with it.
            -Janne

Comment

Oh yeah, one more thing. I tried to check the values of the pots but without removing the solders from the back of the pots, this is all I could come up with:

Volume: 10Kohm
              Boost: Linear
              Tone: Linear
              -Janne

Comment

Very nice guitar! She looks especially good in the "blue-light" shots..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Very nice guitar! She looks especially good in the "blue-light" shots..

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] The white balance was in a wrong setting in my camera so all of the pics came out rather blue-ish.
                  -Janne

Comment

Got another question for you.

If you could only have 2 pots, would you choose the tone or boost.

I was gonna go boost, but the old pot has remnant of the tone connection. So I'm torn, go to original, or tones are boring try something else.

I may even consider putting in a mini toggle, and mounting inside the cavity, so I could connect both. Switch as the mood fits.

Heading over to Tech Q/A for some other education...
                    Thanks a bunch for the support. I am nearly ready to complete.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Got another question for you.

If you could only have 2 pots, would you choose the tone or boost.

I was gonna go boost, but the old pot has remnant of the tone connection. So I'm torn, go to original, or tones are boring try something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmh, that's a tought one. They both affect the sound greatly, and I think it's the two pots working in conjunction what rocks most in this set. The one wouldn't be as great without the other. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But if I had to pick either one, I'd take the boost/cut, mainly because the pickups sound so great when they're "coil-tapped".

Now if I could have only two pots in whatever combination, I think I might replace the volume with a killswitch and keep the tone+boost [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      -Janne

Comment

Wow.. Thats such a nice cleanup job by you.. I should clean my guitars, probably look alot better!

Comment

Thanks Nick! To tell you the truth, the frets and the board were in such a lousy condition that even a sloppy cleanup would have looked nice [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          -Janne

Comment

Working...
                          X