Stupid Kelly questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Kelly questions

Sorry to fly the newby flag so high here, but I've taken a liking to these guitars and am having a problem piecing all of the info I want together to make an educated purchase. So...
    I've noticed some appear bigger than others, with the bigger ones more like an Explorer. I believe I've also heard these refered to as "King Kellys". Is that correct or was that the cough medicine talking? If correct, are these semi-easily available? Neck through, sharfins and such? Model numbers? Was there a USA and an early 90's Pro version?
    Of the non-King versions, was there an early 90's Pro version, like the Soloists? If so, what would the model number be and how difficult would it be to find a neck through one?
    Thanks everyone

jim
    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Re: Stupid Kelly questions

ok, only 20 King Kellys made in 1984. I guess I won't be getting one of them!

Comment

25 made for the 25th Aniv. too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

There's 3 different size Kellys... the King, a medium size, and the smaller one of today that got that way due to Marty Friedman. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What kind of quality could I expect from this one? Is this one of the mediums?
          Thanks guys!

Comment

That's probably one of the smaller ones, as it's a Professional so it's from the 90s. It is made in Japan, but I never got into the Stds because of the dot inlays.

The "medium" or "Regular-sized" Kellys were from the 80s, before MF was into 'em (before he was in Megadeth).
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Are they difficult to find? Is there any chance in hell there's a pic of the three of them side by side somewhere on the Internet? lol (Playboy bunnies should be holding them, of course....)

Comment

Yeah, the Standard is the smallest size. My first Jackson was a deep metallic blue Kelly Standard I bought from MF in the early '90s.

Comment

Most of the King Kellys had cutouts on the body. Here's a King Kelly (maybe the only one?) that didn't have them.

Check the Gallery at the top of the forum for other Kelly and miscellaneous Jacksons.
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/kellys.html

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

That thing is massive. The standard Kelly is heavy enough as it is, I can only imagine what that would be like.

Comment

The standard Kelly isn't that heavy. My Soloist is much heavier.

Comment

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but this thing is comically large. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I am sorry if this offends anyone, but this thing is comically large. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Hey! You don't have to worry about neck-heaviness! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Did they make Professional versions of the Standard Kelly, with neck through, ebony, sharkies, and such like they did for the Soloists? I see KE1 a lot, what's the difference between a KE1, KE2, and KE3?

Comment

Working...
                              X