KVX10 and RR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVX10 and RR3

I'm basically torn between these two models, and I can't decide which one to get. The RR3 is $70 more, and is this because of the chrome control plate, tremolo and pickups? Or is there something else to this, such as build quality, wood or something like that?

Thanks!

Re: KVX10 and RR3

Depends if you want the offset Rhoads shape or the King V shape. Can't go wrong either way.

Comment

Build and component quality really mean more to me than the shape. I've played both the standard and offset V shapes, and neither one of them were a problem. What it all comes down to basically is quality.

Comment

Also, the King V features 24 frets in addition to the string thru bridge, whereas the RR has 22 frets and the JT580 licensed Floyd Rose. Do you use the bar much? Is having 24 frets important? BTW both of these models are made in the Japan factory and so will have similar great build quality and hardware. I own a 2004 KVX10 and love it, even with the stock pickups.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I don't use the bar much at all really, only because the last guitar I had with one (MII RX10D) always went out of tune when I used it. The number of frets doesn't matter either. If I were to get an RR3, I'd simply block the tremolo, which would help as far as tuning stability went. I just wasn't sure if one was better constructed with better parts than the other. If both of them are truly equal, I'd go with the KVX10, assuming they are indeed the same, but there is a price difference between them.

Comment

The only other difference worthy to mention, is that with the RR3, you get the jack in the upper wing - whereas on the KVX10 you get it in a the lower wing. =)

Comment

Thanks for your input guys, KVX10 it is!

Comment

Cool, let us know when you get it...and post pics! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Should be soon and I certainly will! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Well....I didn't get the KVX10, here's why......

The store had 5 Jacksons in my price range, 3 of which were the JS Series, which I wasn't considering. The other two were the MIJ KVX10 and a MIJ RR3. I thoroughly looked over the KVX and one fatal flaw was the nut. Not only did it look really cheap, but it looked like a 6 year old cut made it with a piece of plastic and a hacksaw, it was ugly. I tried to play it, but it was unplayable, the strings would barely move. I checked the bridge and it looked like it was okay, so I assumed it was the nut that was the source of the problem. As truly heartbroken as I was, I put it back and never looked at it again.

So, I was left with a DCB RR3. I checked it out, played it, wrenched on the tremolo bar a bunch of times, played it again, unlocked the nut, repeat, repeat, repeat. I was offered the RR3 for the price of KVX10 plus a set of strings, and the rest is history. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

In the end, this RR3 is WAY better than the RX10D I used to own. Pickups sound a lot better, the LFR is way better for stability, and the sustain is a lot better too, I could not be happier with my purchase.

In closing, don't bother with the RX10D, go right to the RR3.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i was pretty sure that the only difference between the RX10D and the RR3 was the pickguard

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          i was pretty sure that the only difference between the RX10D and the RR3 was the pickguard

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus the other vol/tone knob. Other than that, it IS the same guitar..........
                          "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

My RX10D was made in India. It had a JT500 tremolo and HB102 and 103 pickups in it. Other than that, they were the same. As far as fit, finish and overall build quality, the RR3 is hands down better than the RX10D.

Comment

I have no complaints about my RX10D, but I've never played a RR3.

Comment

Working...
                              X