Need your advice on this Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your advice on this Rhoads

Hello, sorry to start a new topic for this but it's kinda important to me to know a few things:

1. I'm planning on buying this used rhoads professional

It's a MIJ 1992 neck-trhu with dual EMG 81s

and I'd like to know what's a fair price for one of those?

it comes with hardshell case, leather strap and straplocks
    Note: I live in Europe and guitars are expensive here

Seller is asking 900 euro

2. This is a good guitar right? I read somewhere that the 1990-1994 pro's were the best..

3. If I try out the guitar, any particular things I should look at/check out?

thanks!
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Re: Need your advice on this Rhoads

Great Guitars.... They are made identical to the RR1's. But $900 euros is alomost $1200 U.S. That is quite a bit of money for a Professional. Depending on how expensive these things are in Europe, how hard they are to get, and how bad you want it, you definitely have a decision before you.

Comment

They are about 5-600 US dollars. I don't know what they go for in euros though. These are GREAT guitars. Equal in quality to the USA models, just cost less now. Check it out as you would any other guitar that you are buying. Tuning stability, finish dings and chips, scratchy pots etc. Good luck, it looks nice.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

where do you live in europe?

i would say, that this is too much for the RR. i think max. 700,- euro would o.k. with case.
        the rhoads pro is hard to find in europe but i wouldn´t pay 900,- for it because for about 200,- more you can get a used USA made RR-1.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I always wanted a Rhoads, and this one is extra cool because of the ebony/mop fins and the neck-thru..

They're pretty rare over here.. This is the second one I've seen in a long time..

I talked to the seller and I could get it for 800 euro (1,017.99 USD)

More thoughts/advice/things still welcome
          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            where do you live in europe?

i would say, that this is too much for the RR. i think max. 700,- euro would o.k. with case.
            the rhoads pro is hard to find in europe but i wouldn´t pay 900,- for it because for about 200,- more you can get a used USA made RR-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply

we were typing at the same time haha

I'm from the Netherlands

Used RR1s are ultra rare over here.. you can get a new one for like 2200 euro.. and I don't want to buy overseas..

Comment

on the classified section, there is a red rhoads pro for sale and the seller asks about 650.- USD if i remeber correctly.
              take a look

Comment

that looks sweet, but I think I'd get bored really soon with a red guitar..

talked to the seller again.. for 750 it's mine..

really really hard decision..
                pro's:
                1. I always wanted a rhoads
                2. it has ebony en mop fins/logo which looks really classy
                3. neck-thru
                4. dual emg 81s
                5. I think this one will hold it's value better than a new import jackson

cons:
                1. it's black.. all my guitar are black
                2. 750 euro is still a lot of money (to me it is anyway)
                3. don't really like the pickguard but I guess it will grow on me..

I'll think on it some more..

thanks again for the replies, appreciate it

Comment

It is a kick ass guitar but that is a bit high, the EMG's may account for some of the sellers hike in the price. Neck through and MOP inlays kick ass on that guitar. Make sure you looks for dings and chips especially around the points and edges. Rhoades are kind of awkward to move around in and they're prone to bumps. You could take it to a tech and ask what they think of it before buying.

I wish the picture was better, is that rust on the bridge?

900 is a bit high IMHO but guitars can be sentimental purchases. If you like it, buy it I say.
                  Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

I can get it for 750..

now that you mention the bridge... hadn't noticed that before, I'll be sure to check it out.. thanks

rust on the bridge can't be a good thing right

Comment

ok I got some more pics..

http://www24.brinkster.com/tropicana...ckson%20RR.htm

what do you think?

Comment

The 750 Euros is $1000, or about $150 to $200 more than you'd pay for one from US in the range of $600 to $700 plus $150 to $200 shipping to get to you.

There definitely is rust on every screw and on the trem, so either this guy sweats a lot or has spilled a lot of beer on it. You can clean up the rust with clear light machine oil and a toothbrush/rag and get things looking more normal again.

Also, check out the 2nd to last pic of the EMGs, look at the bridge saddles, they are all parallel to each other. Usually a correctly intonated guitar has them staggered. I would venture to guess that this guitar desperately needs an intonation set-up.

Have you been able to play it? Bottom line is that the rust and intonation are fixable, and if the neck feels good and the vibe feels good to you, then that would tell you a lot. A guitar in hand that plays and feels good is probably worth spending extra for vs. buying sight unseen over ebay and worry about it getting damaged in transit!

Comment

Also, you've gotta watch those Schaller trems. I've had two with stripped out saddle intonation screws holes on the plate, making it unusable.

Comment

I recently replaced alot of the hardware on my Rhoads due to rust and stripped/broken string locking bolts and fine tuning screws. Is that an original floyd rose bridge? I would get the seller to come down even more because of the rust.

Do a search for floyd rose parts, there's a site the sells parts for originals and licensed trems. He got all my replacement parts at a good price and spoke with the seller, he knows is stuff and gives good service.

here's the link.

http://www.rexc.com/parts/bridges/floyd_rose_parts.htm

I also didn't notice the finish is metallic. Looks like a really unique guitar to me. Def. needs a professional setup though. I'll bet it plays like but.
                            Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

thanks a lot!

I hadn't really noticed these things before, I was too busy drooling over the fretboard and inlays [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I hadn't got the chanche to play it.. I will november 5th

thanks for the link joblo.. can't wait to play it and check it out.. I agree it's still too pricey, especially with the rust..

I'll keep you updated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X