Some old import Jackson thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post

They are pretty, pretty, pretty rare indeed. As I said I didn't think I would ever see one, let alone own one. They have been on my radar forever but are like unicorns. I think one guy has two of them though.
    I do remember the bolt on Jackson limited dinky. Much rather have this with your 750XL. Is the limited soloist a short scale as well?
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Yes, it's short scale like the 750XL and Soloist Archtop Pros. Only the sharkfins are not reversed on these.

Comment

Yes, it's short scale like the 750XL and Soloist Archtop Pros. Only the sharkfins are not reversed on these.
        Yeah, I could see the fins weren't reversed but they look like their made from something cool. That's just badass again bro
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Woo-hoo!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Yeah, I could see the fins weren't reversed but they look like their made from something cool. That's just badass again bro
            It's strange compared to the other archtop 24 fret guitars with a short scale that these fins are not reversed. As a fan of the guitar I didn't notice that in the advert and write ups. I was like, up spec Soloist Archtop, cool. The fins are split, half abalone, half mother of pearl.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Woo-hoo!
              You said it Joe! The collection is very happy to have this one join the ranks, especially in tip top working order.

Comment

It sure is a looker. Can't go wrong with one of those or the Charvel 750XL.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm glad to have both, especially the 750Xl as I've had it almost 30 years now. I got it without knowing the model, just that it was amazing and spoke to me, and it was then my first Charvel.

Next rehearsal it's a toss up between this and the newly fixed SDX. Very different guitars in so many ways, but both great players.

Comment

So last night I took this guitar to the gig and I don't think I will again. Using it for practice at home, which is through my old POD into the computer, and rehearsal is my new POD but using the amp sims and the Marshall is the power amp, it has been fine. LOVES to play Metallica, sounds good and tight etc.

I haven''t even turned on my gigging Marshall, JVM410H, for months now, since the last gig and I gotta say it wasn't great. I didn't like the clean or distorted sound that much when the JVM was making the noises.

I got through the set and was thinking of putting in a spare set of EMG's I have lying around, like I have in the 750XL, but that was modded in the 90's and this guitar has stayed stock, with those interesting pickups for this long that I don't want to change it now. I'll just maybe play it at home, or not.

I fired up the JVM just before and did a test,. There is just something about the clean sound, I don't enjoy it, and the distorted tone is not focused. I plugged in the 750XL and it was so much better. EMG's would be great in this guitar too I'm sure but with so many other options I'd rather keep it as original as possible.

Comment

Here are some rare pics of the Jackson Archtop Limited 1991 in the wild.

Comment

Here are some rare pics of the Jackson Archtop Limited 1991 in the wild.

That's awesome!!!

Comment

So last night I took this guitar to the gig and I don't think I will again. Using it for practice at home, which is through my old POD into the computer, and rehearsal is my new POD but using the amp sims and the Marshall is the power amp, it has been fine. LOVES to play Metallica, sounds good and tight etc.

I haven''t even turned on my gigging Marshall, JVM410H, for months now, since the last gig and I gotta say it wasn't great. I didn't like the clean or distorted sound that much when the JVM was making the noises.

I got through the set and was thinking of putting in a spare set of EMG's I have lying around, like I have in the 750XL, but that was modded in the 90's and this guitar has stayed stock, with those interesting pickups for this long that I don't want to change it now. I'll just maybe play it at home, or not.

I fired up the JVM just before and did a test,. There is just something about the clean sound, I don't enjoy it, and the distorted tone is not focused. I plugged in the 750XL and it was so much better. EMG's would be great in this guitar too I'm sure but with so many other options I'd rather keep it as original as possible.
                          I find it is matching pickups to the amp. Sometimes you get lucky with a pickup that works well with anything, but like you I use PODs and Marshalls, I have many that sound fantastic in one but like shit in the other. Just the way it is I guess.

I'm running a Full Shred set in my 750XL (fixed bridge) and a Duncan Custom 5 and Jazz in my AT Pro *fixed bridge as well). I'd love to get one or the other with a Floyd but it just doesn't seem to happen.

Comment

I hear you, and there are those differences between guitars and pickups, but this is on another level. Reflex pickups had a reputation, which I thought was a bit strange, but yeah, into the Marshall and I was understandig it. Such a huge difference. Maybe if I had the time to change everything on the amp it could have been ok, but it was the only guitar I brought for that set (I do normally bring two but I was feeling safe) and I had to get playing quickly in between other bands, so the show went on.

I'm not even sure if anything on the amp would help, the distortion was just not tight at all, like it was in the POD, very strange. And the clean tone was just too crystally, if that is a way to describe it.

It's a lovely guitar and I'm sure an other pickups would be great in it but I don't want to be the one to change them.

Comment

Yep tough call. I don’t think I’d change out the pickups even though it is a reversible mod. I’d try pedals - a eq or similar. If it sounds good in the POD maybe investigate which amp models you like.

Comment

They are just sooo different into the amp. When I use the POD for practice I use the sims into the PC on my old XT Live, and again the sims in my current HD 500X, into my old Marshall. At the gig I use the 4 Cable Method with a JVM, so no sims and I was not prepared for the difference. My other guitars mostly have Duncans and EMGs, and this is way too different. Nothing at practice pepared me for the sound, clean and distorted.

I'll just practice with it maybe, but I have too many guitars, so we'll see. No drama keeping it original but bummed it doesn't sound good for live settings as it is. Great guitar, looks and playing. At least it got that one showing.

Comment

Working...
                                X