Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The rarest Japanese-made Jackson? (Has anyone ever seen one?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jr. View Post

Yep. It's a bit of an odd one.
    Maybe 25.5 is a misprint?
    The other catalogues certainly contain plenty of errors.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post

Maybe 25.5 is a misprint?
      The other catalogues certainly contain plenty of errors.
      I own the tunomatic version from 1991. It's 25.5", as listed.

Comment

And here I thought the 550, 650 and 750XL's were rare...

NOTP is right. Pre-interwebz makes it very hard to research. As the OP stated being Japanese domestic market with virtually no import make it extremely hard to find a lot of information on them. When I first clicked the thread I figured it would be a Jackson version of the short scale XL's. At least I learnt something today...

One thing for sure if the guys on here don't have a lot of information that clues us in on their rarity in the States. They may be common as hell in Japan but here it appears to be a different story.
        Last edited by Razor; 07-13-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
          NOTP is right. Pre-interwebz makes it very hard to research.
          I haven't posted in this thread until now! 😅

It was pianoguyy who made that observation, in the tenth post of the topic. Credit goes to him.

Comment

And here I thought the 550, 650 and 750XL's were rare...

NOTP is right. Pre-interwebz makes it very hard to research. As the OP stated being Japanese domestic market with virtually no import make it extremely hard to find a lot of information on them. When I first clicked the thread I figured it would be a Jackson version of the short scale XL's. At least I learnt something today...

One thing for sure if the guys on here don't have a lot of information that clues us in on their rarity in the States. They may be common as hell in Japan but here it appears to be a different story.
            Isn't the only short scale XL the 750XL?

By the way, just in case anyone is after one of these XLs, there are currently two 650XLs available in Australia, a 550XL in Japan, a 750XL in the UK (way overpriced) and another 750XL in the US (probably a little overpriced, which is not to say it won't sell). Both 750s are trans/Schaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

I haven't posted in this thread until now! 😅

It was pianoguyy who made that observation, in the tenth post of the topic. Credit goes to him.
              My apologies to pianoguy. It's been a long day.

I thought all the XL's and Fusion's were short scale but I haven't paid attention to guitars seriously in a while. I used to own a USA Fusion Lightning Strikes. Tried my damndest to make myself like that guitar but after a year or so moved it down the road because I just couldn't make myself enjoy the short scale.
              Last edited by Razor; 07-13-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Isn't the only short scale XL the 750XL?

By the way, just in case anyone is after one of these XLs, there are currently two 650XLs available in Australia, a 550XL in Japan, a 750XL in the UK (way overpriced) and another 750XL in the US (probably a little overpriced, which is not to say it won't sell). Both 750s are trans/Schaller.
                Yes 750 is the only one of the XLs 24.75 scale. The archtop soloist Jacksons that were made for not japanese market are also 24.75 scale length. Which led to the question about the Japanese versions being 25.5 scale. Also all the Fusions Jackson or Charvel are 24.75 scale length.

Out of the XL guitars i think 550XLs are the most rare these days 650s and 750s pop out in reverb and ebay every once in a while. Mostly they are overpriced but thenagain if you really want something you will pay more.
                Last edited by ed; 07-13-2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I own the tunomatic version from 1991. It's 25.5", as listed.
                  Ahhh, I missed that.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

So I bought it. First impression: it will be spectacular, once I set it up.

Comment

Thats the one from ebay? Looks like it has a new schaller too. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                        Thats the one from ebay? Looks like it has a new schaller too. Very nice.
                        Yep, the same one - although I bought it directly from Japan. The eBay listing was your typical upseller - there are probably still a few on there trying to sell the same guitar.
                        Was very happy to find that it came with a newer Schaller with the hardened steel inserts.
                        Last edited by Jr.; 04-15-2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

My apologies to pianoguy. It's been a long day.

I thought all the XL's and Fusion's were short scale but I haven't paid attention to guitars seriously in a while. I used to own a USA Fusion Lightning Strikes. Tried my damndest to make myself like that guitar but after a year or so moved it down the road because I just couldn't make myself enjoy the short scale.

I was so knocked by the SCORE, could probably be called robbery, I got for my 650 Custom. But I gave the guy every penny he asked for it. Mine is the only 650 I've ever seen in person in my entire life! I have never seen a 750XL, although if I had, it would likely be residing at my house. Even more prized for me would be the '90 Jackson Soloist Archtop, and the ultimate would be a 25.5" version such as found in the OP. Something draws me to rare guitars, and other rare items for that matter...
                          '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                          '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                          '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                          '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                          '90 Charvel 475 XL
                          '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                          Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                          Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                          Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Wow, I did learn something new today, but the Japanese market has had some interesting guitar variations. Soloist Archtops in 25.5 scale and with the option of single coils is a new one on me.

I always found it strange that Charvel/Jackson, when they created the Fusion guitars (750 or bolt-on) why they applied the Gibson scale to the guitars with 24 frets and left the 22 fret guitars with the Fender scale?

And now we have these that have 24 frets and the Fender scale.

I've had my 750XL for almost 30 years and just got the Jackson 91 LTD Archtop last year, which is a rare guitar, especially in Australia. I wonder if these new long scale Soloist Archtops are that rare in Japan? Locally they might be rare, but not hens teeth rare, but overseas they are pretty, pretty, pretty rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                              Wow, I did learn something new today, but the Japanese market has had some interesting guitar variations. Soloist Archtops in 25.5 scale and with the option of single coils is a new one on me.

I always found it strange that Charvel/Jackson, when they created the Fusion guitars (750 or bolt-on) why they applied the Gibson scale to the guitars with 24 frets and left the 22 fret guitars with the Fender scale?

And now we have these that have 24 frets and the Fender scale.

I've had my 750XL for almost 30 years and just got the Jackson 91 LTD Archtop last year, which is a rare guitar, especially in Australia. I wonder if these new long scale Soloist Archtops are that rare in Japan? Locally they might be rare, but not hens teeth rare, but overseas they are pretty, pretty, pretty rare.
                              By new, you mean that you've newly discovered them, right? This is a 1990 model; my fixed bridge one is 1991. And by locally, you mean within Japan?

Put it this way.

So far, after posting this in eight Jackson Facebook groups, the largest of which has 16,000+ members, I've only managed to find one current owner other than myself and one former owner. I've also scoured the internet in English and Japanese and have found a grand total of one sale record other than that of my own purchase. Non-catalogue photos found: zero.

Yet, I'm getting the odd oddball trying to tell me it's not rare (and interestingly, never providing any backing for that opinion). LOL
                              Last edited by Jr.; 04-22-2021, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Yes on both accounts. These are new and rare to us in the western world.

Comment

Working...
                                X