SDX Truss Rod Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDX Truss Rod Adjustment

Does anyone know if you can adjust the truss rod on an SDX by removing the pickguard and using something like an offset screwdriver or do you have to completely take the neck off? Not sure what the benefit is of having adjustment there.

Nope... you have to pull the neck.
    You could dremel out a pocket to access the truss rud nut, or convert it to a wheel adjuster like the Charvel Pro Mods.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Nope... you have to pull the neck.
      You could dremel out a pocket to access the truss rud nut, or convert it to a wheel adjuster like the Charvel Pro Mods.
      Thanks for the info. I was afraid it was going to be that way.

Comment

I hear ya.
        I'm on the fence about carving mine up.
        Fortunately my guitars stay in a controlled climate all year round, so I rarely have to make adjustments after the initial setup.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Fortunately my guitars stay in a controlled climate all year round, so I rarely have to make adjustments after the initial setup.
          I'm not so fortunate. I'm in Wisconsin where winters are cold and dry but summers are hot and humid. The thing is, I haven't had to tweak the truss rod on my DK2M since I originally set it up. My Squier '51 I need to tweak a couple times a year--nothing major but it would be if I had to take the neck off.

Comment

I modified my neck, i routed a 3/8 wide notch below the last fret in the center to be able to gain access without removing the neck. I got the idea from Adrian's green guitar, his is cut out.

Last edited by Startingline; 02-28-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Startingline View Post
              I modified my neck, i routed a 3/8 wide notch below the last fret in the center to be able to gain access without removing the neck. I got the idea from Adrian's green guitar, his is cut out.]
              Yeah, I'd just hate to have to get a guitar knowing I'll have to take a Dremel to it. I'm sure that would void the warranty.

As an aside, which Fender noiseless pickup is that and how do you like them?

Comment

I don't think it would void your warranty at all. As it doesn't affect the playability or function of the guitar at all. And the neck and middle pickups are Fender Noiseless Hot Stratocaster Pickups, they've got a great sound to them. And i have a Dimarzio Super distortion in the bridge.

Comment

I'm not so fortunate. I'm in Wisconsin where winters are cold and dry but summers are hot and humid.
                  In Chicago this happens on the same day or week. lol

Comment

And the neck and middle pickups are Fender Noiseless Hot Stratocaster Pickups, they've got a great sound to them.
                    Yeah, I've been thinking about those too. I can only seem to find them in sets of three instead of individually. I assume you are using the stock 500K pots?

Comment

I swapped the volume pot for a better 500K, the stock pot was too stiff for me. And yah, i had to buy the set of 3 pickups. So i have a bridge pickup still sitting in the box. I might upgrade my friend's Squire strat with it.

Comment

I don't think it would void your warranty at all. As it doesn't affect the playability or function of the guitar at all.
                        I emailed Jackson about this just to verify. Still debating between an SDX/SDXQ and one of the new snow white SL4Xs.

Comment

Originally posted by marnold View Post
                          I emailed Jackson about this just to verify. Still debating between an SDX/SDXQ and one of the new snow white SL4Xs.
                          I got a response back from Jackson. Apparently routing it like that does indeed void the warranty.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for finding out.

Comment

Don't the newer models have the truss wheel? Since 2018 I think

Comment

Working...
                              X