No announcement yet.

Trying to identify this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, check the pocket. Looks factory (even the paint/colour around the single coil look untouched), but a pro could do those mods to an M2.

Special dealer run is a possibility.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

https://imgur.com/a/hktiLUo# I've added some more pics of the electrics, neck plate and headstock. Have at it!!

Comment

Originally posted by martinkwangju View Post
        I'll take the neck off next time I change strings.
        Up to you, but you can remove the neck now even without removing the strings or waiting for the next string change. Simply slacken the strings a lot (block the trem if you want), remove the neck screws, separate the neck from the body, document the stamps on the heel and pocket, reattach, and tune up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          Yeah, check the pocket. Looks factory (even the paint/colour around the single coil look untouched), but a pro could do those mods to an M2.

Special dealer run is a possibility.
          Yeah, looks factory to me too. Pretty interesting guitar.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I decided to try to identify this guitar. I've always been basically a Fender guy (with the occasional Gibson and Ibanez thrown in for good measure). I was just amazed to see all the sites dedicated to identifying and dating Charvels.

Comment

Provided there are useable markings on the heel/pocket, there may be old threads here with some cool info.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

It looks like there is some exposed wood by where the switch is. That could have chipped when drilling the new hole. The neck pickup route (as stated previously) is not something I've seen from that era Charvel, however it is VERY clean. They didn't make pickups with angled bobbins like that, so far as I've seen at least?

edit: After looking again, what is that orange cap doing on the volume pot? It also looks like the hole for the wire to the neck pickup is pre finish as well. I opened up my model 5FX to see what it may have looked like after the factory modified it and I can see exposed wood for the neck pickup wire hole.
                Last edited by EntrailsOfU; 12-18-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X