Trying to identify this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to identify this

I purchased this guitar recently. I have been trying to identify exactly the model and year. The serial is 280102. I think it was made in Japan in 1992.

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/ma...Id=YMailNorrin

Thanks for any help.

It's a '92 Japan neck serial from what I gather, but I can't see the pic. Neck thru? Body shape? Some specs?

You need to post pics on a site such as imgur and copy the link here.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      It's a '92 Japan neck serial from what I gather, but I can't see the pic. Neck thru? Body shape? Some specs? You need to post pics on a site such as imgur and copy the link here.
      https://imgur.com/a/hktiLUo Bolt-on neck. Strat body. Single volume pot. 3-way toggle pickup selector. 2-pickup. Floyd Rose. Thanks for your help.

Comment

88 Charvel 3dr body or possibly a later Jackson predator body. Only way to know for sure is to check the neck pocket. The neck is not original to the body as it would have been a reverse headstock but is probably 87/88 model 1/2/3 neck. Charvel six digit serial numbers don't indicate the year. 92 charvel neck would have toothpaste logo!

Comment

Best way to know what you have is to check the neck pocket stamp and heel of the neck model stamp.

Comment

Keep in mind that the body may be modified or aftermarket because the neck pickup cavity rout not correct for 80s charvel and the only ones I've seen have a blade switch and yours has toggle switch. if anyone knows different than please don't hesitate to correct me cause I'm just trying to help!

Comment

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...hddtb5xtwj.jpg It definitely looks like this 80s Predator body, but the pickup selector is different and it doesn't have the reverse headstock.

Comment

Yes but it has a recessed bridge and the neck pickup cavity rout is not the same as yours. Your guitar has a Jackson jt6 top Mount bridge with no recessed bridge rout.

Comment

Go to www.charvelusa.com it has all the charvel guitar model series from 1986 to 1992. You will see similar guitars to yours except for the differences I've pointed out (bridge, pickup rout, blade switch etc.) But like I said before, if you check the neck pocket and heel stamp you will know exactly what you have.

Comment

This is a model 2 with a neck pickup and pickup selector added after the fact.

Comment

That would explain the neck pickup cavity rout being different. It's definitely possible that the neck and body are original and has been modified. Great job! Mystery solved? I still say check the neck pocket. Only way to know for sure IMHO.

Comment

Definitely check the neck pocket. Seeing the inside of the control cavity would help the switch mystery!

Comment

Originally posted by EntrailsOfU View Post
                          Definitely check the neck pocket. Seeing the inside of the control cavity would help the switch mystery!
                          Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll take the neck off next time I change strings. Could this have been a custom order for the original purchaser?
                          Last edited by martinkwangju; 12-17-2018, 01:59 AM.

Comment

What's on the neck plate?
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              what's on the neck plate?
                              p.o. Box 2344 fort worth tx 76113

Comment

Working...
                              X