Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD - Jackson Kelly - Need help identifying!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I don't understand is why on this guitar did they put the serial # on a sticker instead of stamping or something else?

BTW.. Hopefully already completed the crack repair. And it was definitely a glue joint and not a crack in the wood. Have it sitting now for 24 hrs before I do anything else to it..
    1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
    1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
    2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
    2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
    2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
    2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
    1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
    2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
    2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
    1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

2012 was the first year for Mexican, Indonesian and Chinese manufacture. They used the stamps in the earlier years, but they've changed them since, not sure what years the changes occurred.
      I remember think those stamps would get removed, which would result in a headache for dating them in the future. Glad they stopped that stamp foolishness.

2011 was the last year for Japanese and Indian manufacture.

Glad it worked out. It was pretty clear BlackRR was correct earlier.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yep... I actually waited until today to string it up, and so far so good. You can't even feel where it was. Going to let it sit for a few more days with tuned string tension to make absolutely sure, then I'll beat on it a bit. If all goes well, I guess I'm happy with it.. I was thinking about changing all the hardware to gold. I've always loved black guitars with gold hardware.. hmmm...

Comment

That is unusual. Not just the serial number but the fact that it's an X-Series with the back of the neck that isn't painted on a neck-through Jackson. I imagine the previous owner sanded the back of the neck and the put the sticker back on. While S does mean Samick on Indonesian guitars, who knows when it come to Chinese guitars. I haven't seen anything about Samick owning a plant in China under it's own name, which is a possibility of course given the size of Samick.

Comment

After digging some more, I realized it's a KEXMG Limited Edition:

https://www.gbase.com/gear/jackson-l...tion-kexmg-kel

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...E5jyrKunZgVsM:

I assume the oiled neck makes this guitar "limited" compared to the standard, painted-neck KEXMG. This is a pretty bitchin' guitar coming out of China! EMGs, TonePros bridge on the fixed bridge version, oiled neck.

Here are other KEXMG Limited Editions where you can see the combination of the whole unpainted neck with serial number sticker. Made in China.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=250626
            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-27-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Ahhh, I've always wondered what was LTD about those.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

That would be it! It's actually in almost brand new condition. The PO took really good care of it. For $200 I couldn't pass it up, even with the separation at the headstock (which I didn't realize till after the fact.). So far it's been doing great. I've still not beat on it with some hard rock/metal, but will be doing that in short order.

So now the question arises... Should I leave stock, or mod it? I really do not like EMG pickups and much prefer the SD JB and Jazz combo, and not a big fan of black hardware on a black guitar. I am seriously considering changing to gold or chrome hardware. What do you guys think?

Comment

As long as a pup isn't muddy I'm happy generally. Not a big tone chaser myself.

As for the hardware: I'm all about black hardware, though I don't mind looking at other people's guitars with chrome/gold etc.
                  Black work for me 99% of the time, but sometimes a guitar finish can look better with another colour.

The only colour I'd consider on that guitar aside from black would be the new Jackson black nickel hardware or something similar.

[IMG][/IMG]

Whatever you pick, I'm certain it'll look great.

Comment

That is a great deal for 200. What does the separation look like on the other side of the headstock? Personally I would leave it as is. I mean going from active pickups to passives, I don't know. If you don't have any other guitar with EMGs, it can be that guitar in your collection. I like all black guitars for the stealth look.

Comment

If you don't have an active guitar Its nice to have that flavor. If you really don't like the tone then definitely put what you dig in there. I do think gold hardware looks great on transblack guitars but I bet youd spend more on the hardware than the guitar itself ha.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                        That is a great deal for 200. What does the separation look like on the other side of the headstock? Personally I would leave it as is. I mean going from active pickups to passives, I don't know. If you don't have any other guitar with EMGs, it can be that guitar in your collection. I like all black guitars for the stealth look.
                        The Other side is actually perfect. No crack in the paint or anything.. It separated only on the back side. I actually had to open it a bit to make sure I got the glue in there good, but didn't ruin the front. You can still see the glue line but you can't even feel it running a fingernail across it. I used Titebond Original glue along with some suction cups to force the glue into the joint LIKE THIS. Thanks to Dan Earlywine and Stew Mac for the Idea! I also used utility knife blades as wedges to get the crack open a bit more. Here's the after pics..

Oh.. And yes.. This is the only EMG guitar I have..

Last edited by silar; 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Thanks. It took a little time, but for me it was worth it. The PO was willing to refund my money, but I figured it was such an easy fix there's no way I could pass it up for that price.

Comment

Well done, looks great.

Comment

Thanks..

I decided to keep it the way it is. It's my only active guitar, and it definitely sounds pretty darn good. I'd like to have some kind of contrast... chrome or gold or something, but it actually sounds and plays amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X