Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD - Jackson Kelly - Need help identifying!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Jackson Kelly - Need help identifying!

Been forever since I've logged in here but I have a new Jackson and need some help. I'm trying to figure out what model Kelly I just bought. Here's what it has:

Black with trans quilt top.
    Neck Through with sanded neck (factory) and has the paint curve at the heel.
    Floyd Rose Special
    All black hardware
    Standard black Jackson tuners
    Binding around neck and headstock (white binding)
    1 Vol, 1 Tone, 1 3-way
    Truss rod cover is blank

There is a sticker where the neck meets the headstock that has "CSJ1200486"

Battery compartment is under the floyd spring cover on the back at the bottom of the guitar if the guitar was standing straight up.

I'll see if I can get some pics on here. It's literally like brand new. The PO took really good care of this guitar. I'm in love with It. Not a fan of EMG's but may actually keep them in there as it is the only guitar I have now with them.

Anyone have a clue? I've searched and can't seem to find this exact model.
    1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
    1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
    2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
    2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
    2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
    2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
    1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
    2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
    2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
    1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Here's some pics..

Comment

Jackson KEXMG http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitar...-white-bevels/

Comment

Thanks! I actually just came across the exact same guitar on Reverb and saw it was a KEXMG. Made in China. Seems to be a nice guitar though. Paid right at $200.. I don't think I did that bad. Also my first Kelly and have always wanted one..

Comment

I learn something new every day. Do you have a pic of the back of the headstock or wherever shows the serial number and/or country of manufacture? I had a neckthru X Series from 2016 (a Jackson SL3X: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/150...n-SL3X-Soloist) that was made in Indonesia, and I was always under the impression just the JS Series were made in China. They each have their own distinctive serial number systems that let you identify the country/factory of origin.

The EMGs alone, brand new, are worth $200. Not bad at all

Comment

Yes, I remember noticing early that the KEXMG and KEXMGT had Chinese serials initially, but they both ended up in Indonesia.

I don't know when the change occurred, but I just googled pics of a 2013 Indo KEXMG and a 2014 Indo KEXTMG.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Took a pic of the back of the headstock... and as if it was too good to be true, I see a hairline crack going down the grain. You can see it clearly in the pic. I may still keep it and repair it myself. I've done some repairs before, and this would actually be easy to fix. Glad I caught it before it snapped off and destroyed the binding!

Comment

Ah yes, Chinese serial number. Interesting. Thanks for that.

The crack, are you referring to the vertical line running between the G and B string tuners?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                  Ah yes, Chinese serial number. Interesting. Thanks for that.

The crack, are you referring to the vertical line running between the G and B string tuners?
                  Yep.. Unfortunately.

Comment

Ouch. Fortunately, fixing that should be a cakewalk for a handy guy.

It's my understanding the 'S' in the serial is for Samick.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Looks like it may be a glue joint not a crack, its much to straight to be a crack and that headstock was made from 2 different pieces laminated together

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                        It's my understanding the 'S' in the serial is for Samick.
                        I really want to believe you, since it is generally thought that China only makes Jackson's JS Series, and that Indonesia factories make neckthru imports for Jackson.

My limited experience and evidence below, and I'm ready to change my mind at any time, so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

The serial number on my JS32T Rhoads started with CWJ and was made in China. When I see serials starting with C, like the CSJ, on OP's Kelly, I assumed China too. I could be totally wrong.

The serial number on my SL3X started with ICJ. We can assume this means "Indonesia Cort Jackson".

Below is an Indonesian Jackson with serial number starting with ISJ, which we can assume to mean "Indonesia Samick Jackson".

Comment

Those letters could mean anything, never really thought about it. I read Samick on here and figured it sounded reasonable.
                          There are Indo JS's, too. A 7 string comes to mind.

I don't know a thing about the production. Are they assembled in the factory they're made? Do they ship the bodies/necks in from factories abroad? Are there multiple Samick, Cort, Wildwood? etc. factories? In multiple countries?

It's all over my head.
                          I'm just glad they finally make the country and year visible.

I- Indo, C- China, M- Mexico. We can be sure of this since the country is on a sticker along with the serials.
                          Last edited by Mudlark; 03-24-2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Things were much simpler when most of the imports were made in Japan by Chushin Gakki. Dammit.

Comment

They had a pretty good run from the late '90s-2011 with just Japan and India in simpler times.

Comment

Working...
                              X