X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Randy Rhodes Pro value

Hey everyone,

I have a 91 Randy Rhodes Professional (Pro) with the following specs -

22 fret quartersawn maple neck through body, ebony fingerboard with Mother of Pearl (MOP) sharkfin inlays and MOP sticker logo, cleared over just like the USA RR1 Rhoads. Poplar wings (sides), active Jackson® electronics with Reflex logoed humbuckers (Made In England).Schaller JT-590 tremolo, metal back plate and a control layout just like the USA RR1 Rhoads.I am trying to find a valuation but living in the most isolated city in the world(Perth) the guitar shops/Luthiers don't have a clue about it. I have tried Fender Australia but they just ignored my follow up calls and emails. I tried Jackson USA but they said they don't do valuations.

Can anyone recommend a shop/website/luthier that is well versed in Jackson imports and can confirm the rarity of my guitar and give me a ball park value?
    Last edited by Andyteeman; 01-11-2017, 12:56 AM.

Value is tough and opinions will vary. A motivated buyer with deep pockets will throw money at something they want. It's always possible to catch a big fish...so to speak.

Being in North America I expect prices and market conditions will differ greatly from Australia.
    In the US now, used USA Jacksons can be had in the $1000 ballpark quite easily in many markets. It's not terribly uncommon to see bolt on USA's go for well under $1000, even neck thrus occasionally. Being patient is key.
    Japanese imports (NOT the PRO models) can be had any day for $300, even MUCH less.

The Rhoads PRO had a $1595 MSRP when new and I expect they went out the door in the $1-1200 range.

In my opinion, a realistic selling price in North America with case would be $600-fair condition-$800 great shape. Mint condition could bring in more. That said, I've seen them priced $1500-2000 even more!! I don't know if they actually sell for that or not.

Those Rhoads PRO's were made from '90-'95, so I wouldn't use the word 'rare'. True, they aren't available everyday.

There's was a Kelly PRO with hard case in my area for sale for $600 for many months. The ad just disappeared recently, but I'm not sure if it sold or the guy gave up after 8-10 months. The Kelly was only made in '94-'95.
    Location has a bit to do with it. The Kelly and I are in rural Canada. At $600 in Toronto or Montreal it may've sold quicker.
    Last edited by Mudlark; 01-11-2017, 01:54 PM.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I bought it new in the UK early 92 for 1300 pounds which at the time was just over $3800 Australian.....not sure what that was in USD at the time. About 9 years ago a major guitar shop here valued the body at $8,000 to $10,000 AUD but had no idea about the specs of the guitar.

As far as me saying it's rare, I haven't seen another with these specs, not even a picture on-line and all the "guitar guys" and "Jackson guys" that have looked at it say they have never seen or heard of one like mine before.

Thanks for the info....although it has deflated my bubble a bit haha

Comment

The specs sound like any other Rhoads PRO aside from the pickups. The MSRP I gave you came from the Jackson price list. Wow, those are wild prices.

Got a pic?
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

As soon as I can work out how to add from my laptop! It only gives me a url option

Comment

1300 pounds would be almost $1600 USD according to my numbers, so you paid full MSRP or thereabouts. 8000 Australian is about $6000 USD? That's beyond absurd.

Here's a '93 catalogue with the specs. What's different about yours?

http://support.jacksonguitars.com/ca...93_catalog.pdf

Comment

You first need to load pics on a site such as photobucket etc. then copy the link here.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Reflex pickups didn't come on that model. Jackson used them on a few guitars, but not on the Rhoads Pro, unless someone from the factory decided to do that.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

From a North American standpoint, I'm thinking $1500 for a used PRO model would require a guitar in almost new condition. Again, a motivated buyer with deep pockets will go crazy for something they can't live without.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I was told years ago that the pick ups were experimental but not sure about how true that is
                          Last edited by Andyteeman; 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

There's another member or two from down under that visits from time to time...hopefully they'll show up with their take.
                            So, you bought the guitar new with the Reflex pickups? That's certainly not the norm, but I could only guess as to why that would happen.

Comment

It came with the Reflex pick ups new.

J101646 It's a 1991.

Years ago I was told it might be a one-off spec guitar

Comment

Working...
                              X