Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone own or played a Jackson JS22 Dinky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own or played a Jackson JS22 Dinky?

JS22 Dinky

I was looking around at lower end guitars, just something to add to the collection for fun. I've liked the other Jacksons that I've played, but I've never gotten my hands on any of the low end models. I'm not looking for a Floyd Rose (I'd actually prefer a hardtail) I'm mostly curious about the fit and feel, and how they compare to the mid-range Jacksons
    https://soundcloud.com/benjammin420/funkapus

I'm no fan of lower end guitars so my opinion might be a little strong.
    Yeah they look nice but they sound and feel thin. Compared to other same price guitars? yeah they probably are cooler looking as I'm a Jackson fan and owner but I'd never ever own such a low end guitar. I find it a total waste of money. I'd rather have 3 or 4 badass higher end models then own 8 or 9 lower end one.
    I gotta a friend who loves buying guitars, he has like 18 of them but some of them are lower end models and they look cool like this one does but sound and play awful.
    It's your call man, if you can except the lower quality sound feel fit and finish yet still look cool doing it I'd say go for it. Or save you money and get a higher end model and really feel how a Jackson is supposed to feel.

Comment

would rather buy a used DK2,DK2M,DK2FF,ect that a new js model
      GEAR:
      #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
      #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
      #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
      #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
      #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
      AMPS:
      1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
      ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

It's obviously better to go for a higher model but I can say the last few years of the JS series have been outstanding. Huge improvement in quality& playability. I have 21 guitars & my 2013 JS Warrior has my favorite neck. For the price, they're impossible to beat.

Comment

There've been mostly good reviews on the forums about the JS models for a few years now. The move to China from India in 2012-13, coupled with many new specs, have really brought that line to life.

That said, the pic above appears to show the high E almost off the board.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

buy used, usually get a hell of a lot more guitar. nothing wrong with a used guitar if it isn't beat.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I can't find any locally, but I'm curious enough that I might just roll the dice put down a deposit on one. If it get it in person and its a real POS, I won't be losing that much. Unfortunately there isn't a strong used market in my area, and most shredders seem to go for Floyd Rose guitars, which I specifically don't want.

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              That said, the pic above appears to show the high E almost off the board.
              good call

Comment

I have a few High End USA Jacksons, a few mid range Jacksons all of which I love. Last year I was in the market for a cheap 7 string to learn to play with the extra string so I bought a JS22-7 and I have to say it totally outperformed my expectations. Fit and finish was really good, the frets didn't have any sharp edges and really didn't need much more than a set-up. The pickups which I though I'd replace, I did not and really do like the tone thru my Bugera for stuff like Slipknot and Korn. The hardtail bridge is kinda cheap, but has no issues. I was so impressed with it that this year I bought the Musician's Friend JS22-7M with the maple fretrboard. This one, the fret edges are a little sharp and the frets could use a little love, but the tone is great and they upgraded the hardtail to the nice Fender strat/tele style.

For the money you are not going to beat these sub $200 guitars. Are they consistent in build, probably not, but they are indeed way more guitar than you'd expect.
                Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

yea, best bet is line up 5 and play them all and pick the best out of the bunch. these aren't man made materials so there are a lot of variables. wood and craftsmanship is rarely equal across the line.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
                    yea, best bet is line up 5 and play them all and pick the best out of the bunch. these aren't man made materials so there are a lot of variables. wood and craftsmanship is rarely equal across the line.
                    I concur.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Hi, first time poster here. I just got the same model JS22 in the original post and it's my second import Jackson, both made in China 2015. The other one is the JS32TQ with string through tune-a-matic bridge.

The JS22 has a Poplar body, whereas the JS32 is extremely lightweight Basswood. I bought the JS22 as I was particularly interested in the 2-point trem. First the good news, trem has a full sized steel block not the usual skimpy zinc affair. Now the bad, cutout in the body was incompletely routed so the trem wasn't connecting with the pivot posts. Half hour with Dremel and files fixed that.

Pickups on these guitars are quite nice actually, cleans are rich and bright and dirty tones not muddy at all. Just maybe slightly overdriven tones would maybe not satisfy players picky about mild crunch tone.

Both guitars have excellent necks, binding and fretwork with low action. Finish is definitely not cheap looking.

If the OP wants a hard tail, I would recommend the JS32. My JS22 came setup like a hard tail but, from past experience with Poplar bodies, there are sustain issues with the G string in particular (a problem somewhat related to stratitis).

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorboy View Post
                        The JS22 has a Poplar body
                        are you sure? the site says basswood

Comment

The site says the white JS22 is poplar. Black and blue JS22s says basswood. I have a white JS22 and it's heavy as alder, no way is it basswood.

My JS32 is light as a feather, and I don't think it's just the trem on the JS22 making it so much heavier.

BTW, the JS32 came with the most beautiful flamed maple neck. I guess that would just be the luck of the draw. Just got finished playing the JS22 after setting it up, it came on Thursday. It does the job for me, I wanted a trem that would stay in tune better than my strat and not as sensitive as my Charvels with Floyd Rose trems. Tone is more crunchy than the JS32.

All in all, I'm happy with both guitars. Bit of a hobby of mine turning 'Guitar Shaped Objects' into musical instruments, although the JS32 didn't need anything doing. Both guitars were bought online from box shifter type dealers.
                          Last edited by mirrorboy; 03-13-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorboy View Post
                            The site says the white JS22 is poplar. Black and blue JS22s says basswood. I have a white JS22 and it's heavy as alder, no way is it basswood.
                            ah, thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't looking at the white model specifically, but that does make a difference.

Comment

Jackson has been historically consistent in errors being found in their catalogues/website offerings.

Comment

Working...
                              X