Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional with Case for $650 Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those pickups actually sound pretty good in my opinion. I left those stockers in my '94 reverse up until a couple years ago. I would leave them in and play it for a while to see if you like them.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Agreed. Those pickups are certainly worth giving a shot.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I heard they are USA made Jackson pickups aswell same as the American guitars that come with Jackson pickups.

Comment

Hey it's been a while since I've seen a stone-finish one.

I remember when they first begun producing the imports that finish was everywhere, but they seemed to just vanish shortly later.

BUT my opinions of those early imports (except for the neck-through RR's which were so good Jackson cancelled them to keep them from messing with USA-model sales) is a bit lower than the apparent average here. I wouldn't give more than $250 for one because (I know it's shallow) I loathe dot inlays, especially in Jacksons. Everything else is workable. Hardware can be swapped, and the stone finish didn't really excite me but at the same time it doesn't put me off.

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          I wouldn't hesitate in changing anything that would make it a more solid, dependable guitar.

I had gotten a black one which I didn't keep long because of the dots.

But I changed out the jack and the X2N-clone pups from a mid-80's Ibanez I had that ended up dying on me, and it sounded awesome. First came the jack, which made it both louder and brighter. And the pups gave it a fatter gain that made it sound like something that was a lot better than Jackson's entry-level import.

I would have kept it if it weren't for those fuggin dots.

Yeah I know my reasoning's stupid, but everyone has that one thing they expect on a guitar, and for me the one thing I try to avoid is dots.
          Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM.

Comment

LOL, well when you get a Jackson you expect the Shark Fin inlays, that makes a Jackson a Jackson guitar. Did you think the stock pickups sounded good? I am thinking of just swapping them out with emgs.

Comment

Well I just picked it up tonight. The pictures I posted did not do it justice. The thing is mint, no rust, screws missing, it even has the original allen keys and allen key holder and tremolo bar. The guy traded his student an acoustic guitar for it back in 1993 and played it a few time and has not played it since. Sat in the case most of its 23 years of life. The tremolo is a Charvel Branded Schaller Floyd Rose made in germany. Its a very solid unit, just like my original 80's Floyd on my 1987 Kramer. I thought the finish was just painted on, but you can actually feel the stone like finish. Good score I think for $350 with case.

Comment

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
                LOL, well when you get a Jackson you expect the Shark Fin inlays, that makes a Jackson a Jackson guitar. Did you think the stock pickups sounded good? I am thinking of just swapping them out with emgs.
                They weren't the worst for a guitar in the price range, but there's better.

Comment

I heard these were built better then the USA models, that why Jackson pulled them shortly after.

Comment

A very common misconception is all models with a 'Professional' logo are the guitars often compared to USA models.

The models that were on par, spec-wise and quality-wise were the Pro's from '90-'95 with an ebony fret board. The ebony board'd models had many USA specs, including: JT590 Schaller trem, quarter-sawn necks, pearl inlays/logo etc.

The other Pros were made by the same people to my knowledge, and are just as good quality-wise. It was the specs that gave those Pros their reputation. That's my take.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Mine has the Schaller trem, its branded Charvel , and made in Germany.

Comment

Those 590 tremolos were available on more models than just the Pros with an ebony board.

Comment

Working...
                        X