Jackson JTX value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson JTX value?

I have a Jackson JTX that I am planning to sell or trade for a few reasons including me not wanting to deal with a Floyd Rose bridge and the neck being ridiculously thin (17mm 1st 20mm 12th). I am having trouble putting a price to it.

Using the website http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ofessional.php, I found that the JTX Std released the year after the JTX was discontinued was $695 new in 1995 dollars. Using the difference between the cost of the Rhoads EX and Std I came up with a ratio between the two to be 139:199 and used the ratio between the JTX and JTX Std to price the JTX at $485. Using a site to account for the inflation between 1993 dollars and today's money I found that $485 then is around $750 now, so if the JTX was released today I calculated the price to be $750. Using Guitar Center's policy of selling used guitars for 60% of the new price I found my JTX to be worth $450. Am I on the right track or did I waste my time with a lot of bogus math?

tl;dr lot of fancy math tells me used Jackson JTX is worth $450 now. Am I right? If not, how much?

And with that math, what traditional-shaped guitars is the JTX equivalent to?
    Gear:
    Ibanez RG421 - Jackson JTX - Peavey Vypyr 15

Gear I want:
    Korina Flying V in Alpine White - Les Paul flame-top in heritage cherry sunburst - Silverburst SG - Mockingbird STQ in trans purple

You know, I saw one just like this in Craigslist. He was asking $500 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      You know, I saw one just like this in Craigslist. He was asking $500 for it.

That's some pretty mocking laughter.

I saw a guy with an Epi LP Standard Plustop that he put Duncans into and expected $500.

Of course with a guitar as rare as it is, the CL guy probably just made a very rough estimate without all the math.
      Last edited by jjfeu662; 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM.
      Gear:

Gear I want:
      Korina Flying V in Alpine White - Les Paul flame-top in heritage cherry sunburst - Silverburst SG - Mockingbird STQ in trans purple

Comment

Is that a double locking Floyd or that single one that the ball ends slip through?

I can not see a detailed pic.

Comment

Originally posted by jjfeu662 View Post
          That's some pretty mocking laughter.
          Meh, not really. I just thought it was funny I saw your CL ad then saw your post earlier. Just like all the thought you put into how you think your guitar is priced, I think you put too much thought into my reply.

I don't know how much a JTX would go for. The neck looks sweet, but the body is a little funky in shape. I was trying to think of something I could trade you, but I don't really have anything you would want.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Quick question though - you say you want an Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V in Alpine White. If it is painted white, does Epiphone really use Korina? I was told even with the Korina Flying V's they just use a Korina veneer over alder or basswood. I don't know much about Epiphone flying V's so let me know if this is correct or not.

Comment

Meh, not really. I just thought it was funny I saw your CL ad then saw your post earlier. Just like all the thought you put into how you think your guitar is priced, I think you put too much thought into my reply.

I don't know how much a JTX would go for. The neck looks sweet, but the body is a little funky in shape. I was trying to think of something I could trade you, but I don't really have anything you would want.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Quick question though - you say you want an Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V in Alpine White. If it is painted white, does Epiphone really use Korina? I was told even with the Korina Flying V's they just use a Korina veneer over alder or basswood. I don't know much about Epiphone flying V's so let me know if this is correct or not.
            I often find myself over-analyzing things to nonsensical magnitude. My whole family is that way. Not sure how to turn it off or if I want to.

I'm just looking for a guitar with a good doom tone and a neck that isn't cripplingly thin. I don't really care about value either; I got this guitar for significantly less than its worth and feel kinda guilty. I'll probably accept a $300 LP copy with a veneer maple top if it's decent to play. But I would like a white Flying V or a cherry sunburst flame-top Les Paul. Or some other guitar with a carved quilt top and a trans-color finish.

And I hadn't heard about the korina veneer rumor. But at $600 new it had better be real korina.

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
            Is that a double locking Floyd or that single one that the ball ends slip through?

I can not see a detailed pic.
            It's a double-locking floyd. It just needs lock nut clamp things and it wasn't made with a retainer bar.
            Gear:

Gear I want:

Comment

All I know is that real korina Gibson's or Jackson's go for huge money (thousands), so I think it is a big upgrade over mahogany. I'd think if you could get a flying V made of solid korina for $600, that would be the steal of the century. But why cover it up in white? It's so expensive they usually come in clear coat only.

I just saw a JTX in black on ebay for $450. You may want to watch it to see how it goes. I'd think yours would be an upgrade over the black, but you'd have to find a buyer in love with that color.

Comment

All I know is that real korina Gibson's or Jackson's go for huge money (thousands), so I think it is a big upgrade over mahogany. I'd think if you could get a flying V made of solid korina for $600, that would be the steal of the century. But why cover it up in white? It's so expensive they usually come in clear coat only.

I just saw a JTX in black on ebay for $450. You may want to watch it to see how it goes. I'd think yours would be an upgrade over the black, but you'd have to find a buyer in love with that color.
                I certainly was when I first got it, but I didn't account for how much of a pain floyds were, and I had an epiphany of how big my hands were compared to the spindly neck.

The Korina Flying V comes in natural and black, the white being a limited edition finish that I became drawn to after seeing Sawa-chan with it in K-ON!. I have no idea what Korina is to mahogany but I heard it has better mids. If there's a guitar with the non-pointy flying V shape that is made of mahogany and comes in a readily available white finish with gold hardware, that would be great too.

Listening to Death Devil, where it is implied that Sawa-chan was the lead guitarist with her V, and assuming that they used the V in the recording (do they normally do that with virtual bands? I know they do in Metalocalypse but I'm not sure if K-ON! is the same), it definitely sounds like some middy mahogany, at least from what I can tell with my first-semester AP Theory ears. But maybe I'm hearing basswood (known for high-mids) and guessing at the low-end with my crappy laptop that can't handle youtube.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Des...-Flying-V.aspx

Or maybe I underestimated the mid power of mahogany. What does "SlimTaper" mean though?
                Last edited by jjfeu662; 12-22-2013, 11:01 PM.
                Gear:

Gear I want:

Comment

Most of your tone comes from the amp to be honest and what pedals you color it with.
                  I see you are south of Cinci I am too.How far south ?
                  I know a few doom bands that use pure junk low end guitars and they get excessively doomy tones.
                  The JTX with the original case a fair price is $300 to $350.IMO.
                  Yes you did way to much math LOL
                  Last edited by straycat; 12-22-2013, 11:59 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Most of your tone comes from the amp to be honest and what pedals you color it with.
                    I see you are south of Cinci I am too.How far south ?
                    I know a few doom bands that use pure junk low end guitars and they get excessively doomy tones.
                    The JTX with the original case a fair price is $300 to $350.IMO.
                    Yes you did way to much math LOL
                    Amp tone, yeah, but an ash guitar through an orange amp will still sound bright.
                    If you made a triangle with points at Newport, Alexandria and Florence Ky, that's where I am.
                    I could get an Epi G400 and a nice doomy amp, but where's the luminosity in that?
                    I've seen RR3s go for that, but I've also seen them go higher, and they're easy to get. And you won't get one of those in ash and that trans purple. Or maybe you're just saying that in order to get a deal.
                    Yes, I am insane, as exemplified in the math.
                    Gear:

Gear I want:

Comment

I'm in Lexington Ky so no sense in being ambiguous as to where you are really.
                      FT Thomas,Erlanger or Covington I guess LOL.
                      Depends on if you use your tone control on the amp or guitar as to the brightness does it not?
                      I'll bet I can get doom out of a maple or ash guitar just by EQing the amp.
                      Last edited by straycat; 12-23-2013, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I'm not trying to be a smart ass just being honest with you.
                        What you read in magazines or what your friends think is true may just be misinformation.
                        I see you are a wise 16 year old and I give you major kudos for being smart enough to join here obviously you have great taste in guitars.LOL
                        I'm glad you are here.

Comment

The JTX typically has a very small audience - most people who want a Tele-style Jackson want a Tele style head with a Charvel logo, made in 1983 or before, without a Floyd, for $250 so they can flip it for $2500 the next day.

I had one several years ago in that same color, and still have the neck (on a WRMG body). Mine had the traditional wood screws to mount the neck, and other versions used threaded inserts and machine screws, which makes neck swapping a PITA.
                          Not to mention the heel of the JTX neck goes all the way to the end of the fretboard with no overhang over the body.
                          And then there's the lack of fins or binding.

$450 is definitely a stretch, though the guitar is a true shredder with excellent tone, especially if you put an OFR on it. If it's set up right, one could wail like a motherfucker on it, since it has some hefty frets (jumbos, IIRC, not medium - one of the few production models to have such huge frets that wasn't a bass). The higher you go, it feels almost scalloped. Plus you've got a lifetime of fret-dressing before you need to replace them.

I'd say put it on Ebay or your local CL for $300 and hope for the best.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm in Lexington Ky so no sense in being ambiguous as to where you are really.
                            FT Thomas,Erlanger or Covington I guess LOL.
                            Depends on if you use your tone control on the amp or guitar as to the brightness does it not?
                            I'll bet I can get doom out of a maple or ash guitar just by EQing the amp.
                            I'm not trying to be a smart ass just being honest with you.
                            What you read in magazines or what your friends think is true may just be misinformation.
                            I see you are a wise 16 year old and I give you major kudos for being smart enough to join here obviously you have great taste in guitars.LOL
                            I'm glad you are here.
                            Wilder-ish, I think. I live in a really ambiguous area.
                            The JTX doesn't have tone control and my other guitar is basswood. But I'd imagine that the tone control on an ash guitar would suppress the brightness on the ash, but it will still sound brighter than a mahogany guitar with tone control down.
                            I could too, but I don't have an EQ.
                            So it turns out I am significantly less insane after a half-decent night's sleep. I still think that $300 is a little low considering guitars in the price range, but then again I wasn't around in 1993.
                            Why thank you. This is a nice place, and Jackson is a nice brand. Do Jackson make a mahogany single-cut LP-type guitar?

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            The JTX typically has a very small audience - most people who want a Tele-style Jackson want a Tele style head with a Charvel logo, made in 1983 or before, without a Floyd, for $250 so they can flip it for $2500 the next day.

I had one several years ago in that same color, and still have the neck (on a WRMG body). Mine had the traditional wood screws to mount the neck, and other versions used threaded inserts and machine screws, which makes neck swapping a PITA.
                            Not to mention the heel of the JTX neck goes all the way to the end of the fretboard with no overhang over the body.
                            And then there's the lack of fins or binding.

$450 is definitely a stretch, though the guitar is a true shredder with excellent tone, especially if you put an OFR on it. If it's set up right, one could wail like a motherfucker on it, since it has some hefty frets (jumbos, IIRC, not medium - one of the few production models to have such huge frets that wasn't a bass). The higher you go, it feels almost scalloped. Plus you've got a lifetime of fret-dressing before you need to replace them.

I'd say put it on Ebay or your local CL for $300 and hope for the best.
                            I'm probably gonna list $400 and accept a $300 epi-tier guitar.
                            Last edited by jjfeu662; 12-23-2013, 11:06 AM.
                            Gear:

Gear I want:

Comment

I can get a doomy tone out of my Xaviere XV-820 tele copy using the neck pickup and the tone rolled off...but I don't like it
                              I know..not helping the thread at all.
                              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
                              X