No announcement yet.

Old #1 back up and playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom 5 is great in alder or basswood but not in these guitars from all the experimenting I have done on mine.
    I have found the combination that sounds good to my ears anyway.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Sweet. A Custom 5 is too scooped in the mids and sounds too thin in alder but sounds decent in mahogany.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree TJ to some degree but it sucked goat ass in mine.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          Custom 5 is great in alder or basswood but not in these guitars from all the experimenting I have done on mine.
          I have found the combination that sounds good to my ears anyway.
          That's all that matters. I have a Duncan Designed HB103 set still in my Kelly KE3 w/ DK1 neck because it sounds awesome. No need to mess with it.

Comment

I agree Don if it sounds good leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              I agree TJ to some degree but it sucked goat ass in mine.LOL
              LOL I thought the C5 sounded like goat ass in my alder Charvel Star, but a swap for a Tone Zone definitely made it come to life. The C5 sounded much better in my old mahogany Hamer with thick maple top, but it still was lacking in the mids since it's a little scooped.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                LOL I thought the C5 sounded like goat ass in my alder Charvel Star, but a swap for a Tone Zone definitely made it come to life. The C5 sounded much better in my old mahogany Hamer with thick maple top, but it still was lacking in the mids since it's a little scooped.
                The C5 I used was in the bridge of my now sadly gone Hamer Special FM. It was very crushing in that guitar. I think I preferred the Rio Grande BBQ bucker a little more though. Similar but with more mids.

Comment

The C5 was also in my Aztec Gold Special FM I bought from Pete. It originally had the JB/59 when I got it, but I put in a set of 25th anniversary chrome EMG 81s, then took them out when I sold the guitar to Travis. When I bought it back, he had the C5/A2 Pro in it which sounded decent but not really spectacular. I wound up owning it for another couple years then selling it again. I still have a black all mahogany Special with JB/59 that's real nice, but the Aztec Gold FM I do miss.

Comment

Toe, I had to Special HB`s at one time. One thin necked 1992 all black with gold hardware and a 1994 trans cherry with the medium neck. I am an asshole for selling the cherry one!!

Comment

Mine both had medium necks, '94 and '95. The one I still have is the '94, but it will be refretted soon and get the neck stripped and oiled and the JB swapped for a DiMarzio Norton.

Comment

Working...
                      X