No announcement yet.

DK2M pickup swap--suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just go to radio shack and pick up some connectors. They're pretty cheap and really easy to install. Also try the 85 in the bridge. Never a huge fan of the 81, hear it's great as a neck pickup.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

If you go passives, try a Duncan Custom or Custom 5 in the bridge, but put a JB in the neck and wire that for parallel-only (red+black to hot, green+white+bare to ground).

If you want a distortion-class bridge pickup, try the Duncan PATB2.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hope I'm not hijacking but I have the same guitar and thought id avoid starting a completely new thread. Any suggestions for tuned down death metal?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          If you go passives, try a Duncan Custom or Custom 5 in the bridge, but put a JB in the neck and wire that for parallel-only
          Agree 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Dannibal Corpse View Post
            Hope I'm not hijacking but I have the same guitar and thought id avoid starting a completely new thread. Any suggestions for tuned down death metal?
            Sure, don't do it.

Oh, you meant PICKUP suggestions...I don't play that, but I've one guitar with Blackouts and it seems like it could get infinitely heavy.

Larry

Comment

Ha, thanks man. I actually love the blackouts but was hoping for suggestions for a passive

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                If you go passives, try a Duncan Custom or Custom 5 in the bridge, but put a JB in the neck and wire that for parallel-only (red+black to hot, green+white+bare to ground).

If you want a distortion-class bridge pickup, try the Duncan PATB2.
                That ESP LTD EC 1000 I had came with EMGs and I got this great idea to change it over to passive with a Custom Custom in the bridge and Pearly Gates in the neck. After all the money and time spent getting it there, I was somewhat underwhelmed. The PG sounded amazing, but the CC sounded muddy in that mahogany body. Never could get it to my liking. Ended up trading it to a buddy of mine for a .45 semi automatic. He loves it.

Comment

A Custom Custom has subdued highs. No wonder it sounded muddy in a Les Paul style guitar. I would have gone for any of the other Customs (a $5 mag swap could have got you there) or maybe even a JB.

Comment

I had no idea. I was trying to get a Neal Schon type tone and read where that was one of his faves in the bridge of his LPs. So I figured what the heck. Obviously, it didn't work out. Probably because I was missing the thousands of dollars of gear he runs his signal through... :O

Comment

I have a DK2M that I put the Tone Zone and Evo in and it screams. Sounds awesome. For the really heavy stuff go with the SD Blackouts EMTYs...those are brutally heavy but surprisingly articulate when played clean. I was impressed with that set but I have them in a Damien 7 string...those are active though. The heaviest passives I have found are the Bare Knuckle Nailbombs. I have that pup in a Model 2 and wow! Magic! They come in calibrated sets but are expensive.
                      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                      ENGL Powerball II
                      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                      1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                      1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                      2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                      2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                      2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                      2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                      2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                      2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                      2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                      1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Update: I just did the 18 volt mod and I think it's helped some. I'm using a crap amp which probably buries all the best tone, but I'm about to say "see ya" to my bedroom amp blues and pull the trigger on one of those Yamaha THR10X deals. Everything I read about them is stellar, and the tones they get are right up my alley.

Comment

Update #2: Yamaha THR10X on the way and should be here Thursday--YES!

However I did have another pickup question...

If I did do the switch to passive and go Super D in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck, what size am I looking at? F spaced or regular?

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                            EMG's are good. Tried a Dominion, didnt like it. Didnt like the stock JB. 81 sounded great, now back to passive with a Tone Zone. Screamin Demon sounded fine as well. Not sure what all a the passives have in common that I thought sound decent though.
                            The guitar I put the Dominions had this hollow midrange that always bothered me. Loved playing the guitar unplugged, but didn't love to the tone of the stock J50/J80 set. The midhump in the Dominions perfectly addressed the issue & now the guitar sounds great.

The Tonezone is also a great option. Been using it for years.

Originally posted by jbird5150 View Post
                            If I did do the switch to passive and go Super D in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck, what size am I looking at? F spaced or regular?
                            it doesn't matter that much, but get an F-spaced Super D. Neck p/u doesn't matter at all
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Update #3: I think I'm going to like the 18v mod. I couldn't really get a feel for the difference until I got a decent amp. And the Yamaha THR10X fits the bill. WOW what an amp. I'm a big fan of Ed's brown sound, and this one nails it tight. Plus there's other high gain settings that totally rock the 80s metal vibe. For $300 it's a steal. I've been dinking around with modelers for a while now, swapping this one for that one, trying to get the tone I wanted. But the Yamaha brings that search to an end.

As for the pickups, I may still go SD and PAF Pro at some point. But right now the 18v mod isn't bad. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X