DK2M pickup swap--suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M pickup swap--suggestions?

Hey guys--I have one of the older MIJ DK2M shredders in snow white and I love it. Only problem is, the previous owner went from passive to active with it, installing an EMG 81/85 combo. Not a bad deal, but I would prefer passives. How hard is it to go back? (complete novice here)

Also, I think they came stock with the JB/59. But I had an alder body Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod with the same combo and I wasn't sold on that tone. Suggestions for a new combo? I'm not in a band or anything. Basically I plug this into my Roland Cube 20XL, throw it on Metal Stack, and jam along with my favorite classic rock and 80s metal tunes on Pandora (Journey, VH, Boston, etc). Just trying to get something I like. Leaning towards a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge.

What say ye, DK2Mers?

I've put gravity storms in all my main players and I'm very happy with them......
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

If you can solder, it's not hard to swap back. You'll have more room in the control cavity due to not needing a battery.

The Dimarzio D'Activator X sounds great in my DK2 & the Super Distortion is pretty awesome as well. I'm an EMG guy
      but these 2 have made me realize what ive been missing out on.

Comment

"Leaning towards a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge."

Last edited by Jacksons Rock; 06-26-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

If I did go SD in the bridge, what's a good neck PU to pair it with?

Comment

I recently installed the Dimarzio Dominion set. Love 'em! Or you could try the Tonezone/Evo combo. Another good setup
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by jbird5150 View Post
              If I did go SD in the bridge, what's a good neck PU to pair it with?

PAF Pro

Comment

Super D and a PAF pro have worked well in every application I have put them in.
                Evo and tone zone are way too woofy in the neck.That Is JMO nothing more.
                Pick up choices are subjective at best everybody has different tastes.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'll throw my +1 in for PAF pro in the neck. I had one in my RR1 and it was a great neck pickup, more for leads than for clean tones but it still sounded decent clean.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Have you tried the 18 volt mod? Greatly improves the sound. Just solder another 9v connector on and add a battery. Its cheap too
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                      Have you tried the 18 volt mod? Greatly improves the sound. Just solder another 9v connector on and add a battery. Its cheap too
                      +1, the 18 volt mod makes a huge difference with EMGs.

Comment

Interestingly enough, I had one laying around from an ESP LTD EC-1000 I picked up that also had EMGs. But it was accidentally thrown away. I was always planning to get another one and try it out because I read some good things about the mod, but never did. Maybe that's where I should start. Certainly more affordable.

Comment

If you're going from active to passive, then you'll probably have to change the pots too. I would try the 18V mod first, i've never done it but apparently it adds more headroom.
                          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I did it to an 81 in an RR and it brought the guitar to life, it became the best sounding of all the guitars I had.

Comment

EMG's are good. Tried a Dominion, didnt like it. Didnt like the stock JB. 81 sounded great, now back to passive with a Tone Zone. Screamin Demon sounded fine as well. Not sure what all a the passives have in common that I thought sound decent though.
                              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Working...
                              X