Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
    http://atlanta.listlux.com/a,55,7329...50-Cumming.htm
    I saw this one a while back. Same one, or is this one the 2nd prototype?
    The one and only. Since they never released the model, I'm assuming there was only one functional proto, but who knows. As far as I know, I've got the only one "in the wild". If there is another, it's still with Jackson, or Lachman.

I did notice the neck wasn't seated fully in the pocket, and upon taking it off, it seems the inserts have worn out their holes, letting string tension pull the neck forward slightly. As well, the inside of the neck pocket has deep divots from the screws being tightened to compensate, which resulted in pulling them into the wood.

I cut a thin piece of brass shim stock and made a plate to go between the neck and pocket, and removed and rotated the inserts (massive fish-hooks to hold them in, not the fine-ridge stuff like bridge post inserts), and fixed that problem.

Still having trouble with the body bevels, though, but I'm getting closer to figuring out what went wrong.

I can play it comfortably sitting down, with the body over my "fretting leg", and the neck angled upwards a bit. The upper edge of the body where the arm bevel should be is a lot less obtrusive, and my arm rests in a more natural position.
    Still getting stabbed in the ribs by the back of the upper horn, though, so that would have to be rounded.

I put the strap pin back under the horn, but it goes back to feeling like my arm's being ripped out, so there's possibly an issue with the belly cut.
    If I prop my right foot up a bit so the guitar body is tilted slightly, it's more tolerable.

And of course, it's an SG, so it dives if I let go of the neck. Gonna need a cotton ClipLock on it.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thats pretty awful I agree.Give you $10.00 for it.....................wait maybe not.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So it's MIJ? What's the ser # ?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Newc, you glorious nutjob!
          I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            So it's MIJ? What's the ser # ?
            Definitely MIJ. Not sure if the serial numbering format is exclusive to protoypes. It's a sticker on the head like the mid-late 90's non-plated imports (JTX, etc).

Serial is "J 019680" (my birth year!) (and yes, there's a space between the letter and numbers. The J is slightly larger, and bold).
            The Halford's JTX neck has the same sticker, with the same format, and the same "bold, bigger letter, space, numbers" (J 000594).

The sticker serials, from what I've seen, do not follow the same convention as the plate serials. I know the JTX is not a 1990, and the PL-2 was made long after 2001.
            The funny thing, though, is that non-plated models usually had machine screws with threaded inserts (I have another JTX neck with the inserts), but the one on the Halford had regular screws, and thus *should* have had a neckplate, but I can't recall if it did or not. IIRC, I bought the JTX whole (I think it's the one from the "The JTX arrives" thread someone was bumping a couple of years ago), and sold the body. It's also possible I sold it whole and found a neck on Ebay later. I do know the 2nd JTX neck was bought loose, as I would not have parted out a guitar that required such a specific attachment system.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Man, I seen that guitar on ebay a few years back and wanted it bad. If you get tired of it... give me a shout. Would be interested in it for sure. Congrats on getting it back!!!
              I like black and white guitars

Comment

Gain some weight... thatll take care of you getting jabbed in the ribs!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yeah, but then it'll jab me in the moob

Comment

which is almost as bad!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Unless youre wearing it Petrucci-ish high, there should be no guitar-moob interaction!
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

nice, matt. after you sold it to me, i kept it about a year or two ans sold it on ebay to tony g in new jersey.
                        does anyone remember tony g? the "bad man " i always liked that guitar, just needed some coin
                        at the time i sold it...
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          So, now you may be asking yourself the same question I've been asking myself all week:

"If you hate this thing so much, why buy it again?"

1. I'm a fucking idiot. I have documentation that proves this scientifically.
                          Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                            nice, matt. after you sold it to me, i kept it about a year or two ans sold it on ebay to tony g in new jersey.
                            does anyone remember tony g? the "bad man " i always liked that guitar, just needed some coin
                            at the time i sold it...
                            That's who I got it from. Guess he's been stuck with it since then

So 3 owners total - me, you, and TonyG.

Comment

That's cool... I remember that one, and I saw it on eBay. Good to see that you brought it back!
                              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Working...
                              X