No announcement yet.

Which jackson import? help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been a great week for me i bought this DK2 and a Sterling AX- 40 that is absolutely mint for a good price,gotta get a case for that one though. I have the custom wound dimarzio axis set to put in the ax-40

Comment

Nice score. A Schaller trem might not fit, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Nice score. A Schaller trem might not fit, though.
        ahhh i was afraid of that how about a OFR? i have a black one i can use

Comment

The 580lp is not a bad trem. Give it a try first. By the looks of the guitar I doubt that the trem is all worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            The 580lp is not a bad trem. Give it a try first. By the looks of the guitar I doubt that the trem is all worn out.
            good to hear! thanks,i set my trem to dive only,dont go for floating trems.

Comment

The JT580LPs are pretty decent. An OFR should fit, though.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a 580lp on my DKMG and I also block it for dive only. The only thing I could imagine as a "problem" would be you can't use a D-tuna on it. But that's not a big deal I just fine tune to where the adjuster is almost all the way tight for E and then just tune it down to go to dropped D. I have a few different guitars and the 580lp is just as easy to play on as any of them. I would leave the trem on it and upgrade the pots, pups, jack and switch. That is a great looking guitar. The Ibanez necks I've played have had the same thickness' as a couple of my Jacksons, just cut different, if that makes any sense.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                  I have a 580lp on my DKMG and I also block it for dive only. The only thing I could imagine as a "problem" would be you can't use a D-tuna on it. But that's not a big deal I just fine tune to where the adjuster is almost all the way tight for E and then just tune it down to go to dropped D. I have a few different guitars and the 580lp is just as easy to play on as any of them. I would leave the trem on it and upgrade the pots, pups, jack and switch. That is a great looking guitar. The Ibanez necks I've played have had the same thickness' as a couple of my Jacksons, just cut different, if that makes any sense.
                  thanks for the info,i agree everyone that i talked to here and elsewhere that own the older and newer DK2's said their neck is the same as a ibanez wizard II
                  i guess don P who said they are fatter got a fluke?may be a second? i dont know but he was the only one that said that.
                  the jackson spec's has the neck size the SAME as the Wiz II .079 at the 1st fret and .084 at the 12th so that is the same as the wizard it even has the 43 mm nut and flat D shape

Comment

Originally posted by CHARVEL_strat_81 View Post
                    thanks for the info,i agree everyone that i talked to here and elsewhere that own the older and newer DK2's said their neck is the same as a ibanez wizard II
                    i guess don P who said they are fatter got a fluke?may be a second? i dont know but he was the only one that said that.
                    the jackson spec's has the neck size the SAME as the Wiz II .079 at the 1st fret and .084 at the 12th so that is the same as the wizard it even has the 43 mm nut and flat D shape
                    My DK2 would make someone who likes a Gibson USA 50s neck happy. It's similar to my 1998 SG Standard that has the 50s neck. NOT the Historic R2-R8 neck size, those are much fatter. It was my first Jackson I bought, was pretty much brand new from ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      My DK2 would make someone who likes a Gibson USA 50s neck happy. It's similar to my 1998 SG Standard that has the 50s neck. NOT the Historic R2-R8 neck size, those are much fatter. It was my first Jackson I bought, was pretty much brand new from ebay.
                      don i guess you did get a fluke or maybe the very first run of the DK2's had that neck? i honesty dont know but all i can say is the later dk2's went to a super thin charvel san dimas type neck.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        NO. The first Jackson I bought was a DK2 and it has a fatter neck then almost all of my other J/C guitars have thinner necks. Only my 550XL and 5FX have similar necks. This makes for a lot of confusion.

I strongly suggest try before you buy.
                        You were right this DK i bought has a fatter neck and i am finding it dificult to bond with it,i think i am selling it to my bud that has been drolling over it and buy buy myself a SLX in black.

Comment

Did you change the strings and polish the frets? Freshly polished frets can make a big difference in feel and bending. A guitar with a trem should be one of the easier guitars to bend on, did you check to see how many springs were in the back? 3 springs seems to be the norm, but you could set it up for 2 springs and get a really slinky feel. Also make sure the trem is level to the face of the guitar, if it tilts back into the cavity, it could feel stiff i think. As far as necks go, i like my DK2, it is not Ibanez thin, but the Ibanez I have is really really thin.
                          2011 Godin Summit CT
                          2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
                          2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                          1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                          2000 LTD H-307
                          2003 LTD MH-301
                          2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Originally posted by jackhamer View Post
                            Did you change the strings and polish the frets? Freshly polished frets can make a big difference in feel and bending. A guitar with a trem should be one of the easier guitars to bend on, did you check to see how many springs were in the back? 3 springs seems to be the norm, but you could set it up for 2 springs and get a really slinky feel. Also make sure the trem is level to the face of the guitar, if it tilts back into the cavity, it could feel stiff i think. As far as necks go, i like my DK2, it is not Ibanez thin, but the Ibanez I have is really really thin.
                            Yeah i did a a restring and a complete set up.

Comment

IMPORT NECK PROFILES? DK2M vs DK2

I have found out the hard way that jackson has a few different neck profiles on the imports, the used DK2 i bought has a chunky neck, but i have played a few dk2's that had a super thin neck as well? i cant bond with this DK2 necks profile,because all of my other necks are really thin from front to back.
                              How about the newer DK2M's? what are the necks like on these? I may buy a all black DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by jackhamer View Post
                                i like my DK2, it is not Ibanez thin, but the Ibanez I have is really really thin.
                                This crimson swirl i bought has a very rounded C shape and is far from the way another DK2 neck felt i tried in the past. Jackson even listed the spec on the necks on the dk2's as .745" or 19mm at the first fret and .795 or 21mm at the 12th thats exactly the same thickness as a ibanez wizard II.

Comment

Working...
                                X