No announcement yet.

small question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its really cool to see, how much interest u guys have in solving such a (small) problem . I own 4 jackson guitars, 2 are recently bought. My SL3 was bought in 2005 and i never had problems with the neck (in face of excessive using the trem). I really did not care about the guitar, I just played (like crazy), but the only part with symptoms of fatigue was the trem. The neck really did not bend much, just a "breath". Maybe i have to rethink my tremolo technique to get the maximum of it. Current a RR24 has to hang on. I will look out for some changes. To get back to the question (excuse me for my bad english, i hope its possibly to brush it up a little while using this forum ) on my new Elite Soloist i recognized a detuning while using the trem. The g-string note shows an upward movement while all other strings are tuned down. I think this shows perfectly how much one has to stretch the string before locking it, even on a 9-42 setup. By the way: cool forum!

Comment

Yep, even on my non trem guitars, i'll stretch the heck out of them. I stretch, tune, stretch tune, stretch, tune, and keep doing that until they don't go out of tune from stretching. Then lock if it's a locking nut. Another thing i do with locking trems is to lock it and find out if any of the strings went sharp or flat from locking. Sometimes a particular string will always go sharp. So instead of adjusting with the fine tuners, i'll detune the string just a bit before locking it. That way the locking will make it go sharp and it will be much closer and you won't have to fine tune it as much. I had an old Charvel model 2 that had that problem with the B string and it used to drive me nuts.
      2011 Godin Summit CT
      2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
      2006 Jackson DK2 TB
      1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
      2000 LTD H-307
      2003 LTD MH-301
      2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

What method are you using to stretch the strings on a non-trem guitar?
        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I just lay the guitar in my lap, pinch the string with both hands with a few inches between my hands and push and pull the string back and forth between them a few times. Not so hard that you break the string. Some people pull them up and away from the fret board, i like to do it sideways across the fret board, feels like i have more control that way. Obviously you want to be gentle with the unwound strings.
          2011 Godin Summit CT
          2006 Jackson DK2 TB
          1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
          2000 LTD H-307
          2003 LTD MH-301
          2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

That got me thinking, there has to be a vid of this on youtube. So here's a slightly different version of what i do. I like the part where he added in stretching behind the nut and behind a bridge if you have a stopbar tail type setup on a non trem.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvDdYYs0Zc
            2011 Godin Summit CT
            2006 Jackson DK2 TB
            1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
            2000 LTD H-307
            2003 LTD MH-301
            2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Working...
            X