small question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small question

I got a new dxmg, worked great until yeasterday when I changed my strings. now low e buzzs badly on most of the frets. I'm familar with floyd roses and the steps in changing strings. I always changed strings on new guitars when I played back in the 80's and used ernie balls. now local music shop only had fender 250l's and I wanted them now. my question is could it be that smiple or someone told me jackson necks are unstable and always messing with the truss rod. my guitars where bc richs. thanks

Are they a lighter gauge string? Is the back of the trem now angled back into the body? Also stretch the strings out really good before locking them in the nut.
    2011 Godin Summit CT
    2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
    2006 Jackson DK2 TB
    1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
    2000 LTD H-307
    2003 LTD MH-301
    2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

I have a DXMG and had one in the past. No issues. Plenty o Jackson's too. I never really mess with the truss rods on any of my guitars.

Were the old strings really big like 12's and you downsized to 9's?

Comment

Whoever said Jackson necks are unstable is full of shit end of story.I have some from the 80's I have never had to adj the truss rod and I play the shit out of them.
        If you changed string gauge to a lighter gauge I could see that causing a problem.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Jackson necks are stable as hell. It could possibly be an badly produced string? Take a look on the string, may you can see or feel some meanderings.

Comment

I think you can't say that all Jacksons are good or bad considering their neck stability.

For example: Experiences with 3 of my Jacksons:
            I like to play with really low string action btw.
            My Stealth Pro is absoluty great in holding tune and string action. It only needs slightly retune after weeks and that with massive use of the trem. And i rarely get to see the truss-rod of it.
            My RR3 gets out of tune by only looking at it. Playing live isn't really possible. I have to tune and adjust the trussrod all the time. Little temperature or humidity changes and it's done.
            Maybe a lemon i don't know.
            The SLSMG needs some readjustment from time to time to keep the low action. But really not bad.

On youtube is a video of someone who compares a Jackson KV2 with an ESP M-II i think.
            He also states that the Jackson neck of his particular King-V is softer than the one on the ESP, so it needs more readjustment.

Also, most of the time, the quartersawn necks on the USA-Series, the early 90s Pro models and now the elite series are supposed to be more stable than the ones on your DXMG for example.

For your guitar i'd recommend to put the new strings on it, stretch them as jackhamer said and readjust the trem and neck. Maybe do the same with an other set of strings.

Comment

Thanks guys. I believe it was a stretching problem after reading posts I realize I never stretched them. How easy to overlook the small things until a fresh mind catches it. The guitar back to normal. Thanks again, this great how people here at jcfonline are helpful Big or Small.

Comment

I found the same problem when I sent a guitar away to have its pickups upgraded. At first, I thought it was the pickups or the wiring. It was the setup and the non-stretched strings that made it sound shrill and lifeless.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by StealthPro View Post
                  My RR3 gets out of tune by only looking at it. Playing live isn't really possible. I have to tune and adjust the trussrod all the time. Little temperature or humidity changes and it's done.
                  Maybe a lemon i don't know.
                  Yet I could dropkick mine and throw it off the balcony, go down and pick it up and it would probably still be in tune. I haven't went that far on it but honestly it's remarkable how well it stays in tune. At least in my experience Jackson necks are rock solid.
                  In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/truss.htm

Really good site for guitar set-up. Also, NEVER adjusting your truss rod is just pure laziness. I don't care if it's a Custom Shop with a 7 Piece Rock Maple neck. It's still wood. Granted, high end guitars with maple necks tend to be playable for far longer without the truss rod needing a tweak, but it never hurts to keep an eye on your relief. I do it every few weeks when I'm tuning up/letting the tubes warm up. At most, I give a 1/4 turn tweak, but again I keep up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                      NEVER adjusting your truss rod is just pure laziness
                      How is it laziness to not adjust something that doesn't need adjusting? In my experience adjusting anything for the simple sake of adjusting usually does more harm than good. If my neck stays where it should be and doesn't need adjusting why should I do it?
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                        How is it laziness to not adjust something that doesn't need adjusting? In my experience adjusting anything for the simple sake of adjusting usually does more harm than good. If my neck stays where it should be and doesn't need adjusting why should I do it?
                        I should have said never checking it is pure laziness. If you live in an area where the climate doesn't change very much like a southern state, it may not need adjusted. So I stand corrected. Never CHECKING your neck relief and adjusting if necessary is pure laziness.

Comment

climate is always a factor. That was one of my concerns since I live in a southern state (florida) even only keeping the guitar indoors humidity at 90-100% is hard on any wood. however good practice looking down a neck doesn't real hurt.life is good now back to reading lou's thread can't get enough. that just good therapy

Comment

I don't even look down the neck really. Just fret the first and last fret of my low E and look at the gap around frets 7-9

Comment

Neptoess. The gap around frets 7-9 should be about half the thickness of say credit card yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X