No announcement yet.

a dilemma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the thing is, most of my guitars have jb's in them in the bridge. so i'm looking for variety. i have about 4 guitars with emgs.... they all sound the same--that compressed digital sound when i played the black one i felt like it was my dxmg, except the neck thru neck heel allows for easy access to the upper fret. i think they have the same compound radius neck profile as well. felt that way.

decided on the parallel axis b'cuz i played it once and it sounded different--less output than a jb but still sounded good. any ideas for a neck pup? i was planning to leave the stock one... or replace it with a '59.

Comment

still on back order... getting impatient with musician's friend to send me the green slx.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
        still on back order... getting impatient with musician's friend to send me the green slx.
        Sucks that you're still waiting, we all know that feeling. I'm sure it's going to be worth it though, hang in there brother!

Comment

saw a white one today on their website. almost went for it.... but in the end decided to wait for the kawasaki green one.... have the pups ready for it too.... just don't have the guitar.

Comment

I had a guitar with the parallel axis. I think it might have been the patb2 but I liked the sound just cant remember how it sounded ha ha

Comment

In that case, just get an Invader
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

it finally came! stayed home just to wait for the ups man.

here it is:

first impression:
                i now see what some of you guys say about the finish flaws. yep, got them on this one. but just a spec here and there. one is a tiny tiny spot of darker shade of green; the other is a tiny tiny black dot. binding is perfect. no other cosmetic issues except some of the fretboard around the higher frets (beneath and right up against the higher frets) have tiny bit of grime, which is strange :think: i waited a month for them and was given the impression that the manufacturer in india is delaying the shipment. but the fretboard looks like it's been sitting for a year personally i'm not fussy and don't mind these issues.

playability wise the neck is just super. i was able to lower the action so low with out fret buzzing anywhere. the neck also feels very smooth--d shaped. compound radius board 12-16, so thin but not that thin. very comfortable for me.

the contour at the neck heel/joint is carved back and thin, so getting to the upper frets is easy. although i must say it does feel a bit "dangerous".... it's awfully thin... and ti's just basswood (soft). gonna have to be carefully handling this guitar. the stock pickups sounds better than i expected. does anyone know if there were some improvements over the years on the duncan design pickups? they are hb102 pups. but are there other kinds of duncan design pickups? cuz my other guitar (mid 90s) with duncan design pups sound like s**t. i'm guessing that "duncan design pickup" can't be the same everywhere throughout its history. there must be some changes or sub-models? :think: well, i already got a parallel axis bridge pickups and a sd '59 for it so i'll swap the stock ones out soon. still just curious of these duncan designs.... not sure if i would want to put a sd invader in a basswood (relatively thin) body. the windows in my house might break if i turn up the volume.

obviously no issues with the floyd rose specials. only time will tell if they hold up or not. i'll be changing the trem block too when i change the strings. basswood body is fine with me. but i wish the wings were mahogany or something to thicken/tighten the tone.

overall i'm very satisfied, especially given that i paid the price of a blem one and (due to them remedying their mistake) they sent me a brand new one. i now have a lot of respect for musician's friend. i highly recommend the slx soloist for those who would like to have a descent quality neck thru guitar without breaking the bank. compared to an ltd neck thru, with similar features, i would prefer the slx.

i'll do a youtube video review in a few weeks...
                Last edited by moku; 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Sweet!!
                  Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                  2007 Jackson DK2M
                  1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                  2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                  2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Congrats! That sure is a bright green!

Originally posted by moku View Post
                    a descent quality
                    Hmmm, I hope you meant decent quality!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

decent!

Comment

Awesome dude, that thing looks killer! I'm sure it was worth the wait.

Comment

Working...
                        X