1990's "Professional" necks VS Today's Japan built necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    ...maybe the Japanese Jackson factory used up their allocation of mojo some time around '98.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

My Soloist Pro from 1990 and my KV5FR from 2010 have about the same shape. Not too thick and not too thin.
      But my Dinky XL that I sold last week had a neck thinner than an Ibanez Wizard neck. It was from 94. Seriously. KREZY!

Comment

The 4 90's pro necks i've had were very thin, the Kelly xl was easily as thin or thinner than a piece of 3/4" plywood. But whatever someone likes is all that matters
        I find it feels unatural and quite uncomfortable.

Comment

To me, the thinner the neck, the easier it is to play. I don't know why, but, to me a "fast" neck is one with a pretty flat radius 12 to 16 inch radius, coupled with super low action and no string buzz. Getting the neck perfectly straight and having the string leave the nut pretty low and keep it to the bridge low therefore your fingers actually travel a microscopic lesser distance resulting in faster lead playing. Your fingers magically become more efficient. My action is as low as you can get it, so I would have a "fast" neck................I guess. Here is the drawback to a flat radius..... Harder to sweep pick. It's easier to sweep pick a fender than it is a jackson. But I'm no Yngwie, so it doesn't matter to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
            The 4 90's pro necks i've had were very thin, the Kelly xl was easily as thin or thinner than a piece of 3/4" plywood. But whatever someone likes is all that matters
            I find it feels unatural and quite uncomfortable.
            The thing I liked about my old Kelly XLR was the neck was thicker than the two Dinky HX models and two Dinky Reverse models I owned. I only own the one HX now, but I sure do miss the Kelly.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonluvr View Post
              I remember back around '96 '97 GC was having an end of year sale and was BLOWING out the quilt top Professional Kelleys, Dinkys and RR's... (DK3,RR3,KE3 models)

I remember those particular guitars having the skinniest and fastest necks I had ever played on an import model.

In recent years I have played numerous import Jackson models and I'm always disappointed to find the very mediocre necks they put on the jap made Jackson..They are NOTHING like those mid-90's Professional series guitar necks..

Why the change? Are they built in different plants nows or has Jackson just tried to please the masses?
              I see what your saying. And I have to disagree with the "neck thickness is not relevant to playing fast" idea. If you feel that way than it is. To me it isn't but if you feel that way it is.

And I know the necks you're talking about, I've always thought they are comfy too. After some point those necks started having more meat (I'm not complaining I like 'em both, some of the newer necks are the best though imo) From the current pro series, the SLSMG has a neck similar to those old xx-3 necks.
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Yeah the neck carves of todays bolt on imports are pretty bad. Theyre chunky, and that annoying clear "satin" finish. Makes it feel like a toy! I was really disapointed with just about every bolt on Ive tried in the past 5 years. Especially the DK2M's, they were just now what I expected. Now the neckthru models, well thats a different story... theyre great, I havent felt a bad one yet!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                X