1990's "Professional" necks VS Today's Japan built necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990's "Professional" necks VS Today's Japan built necks

I remember back around '96 '97 GC was having an end of year sale and was BLOWING out the quilt top Professional Kelleys, Dinkys and RR's... (DK3,RR3,KE3 models)

I remember those particular guitars having the skinniest and fastest necks I had ever played on an import model.

In recent years I have played numerous import Jackson models and I'm always disappointed to find the very mediocre necks they put on the jap made Jackson..They are NOTHING like those mid-90's Professional series guitar necks..

Why the change? Are they built in different plants nows or has Jackson just tried to please the masses?
    John 3:16

There's tone in a thicker neck. Maybe that's what they're after.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonluvr View Post
      I remember back around '96 '97 GC was having an end of year sale and was BLOWING out the quilt top Professional Kelleys, Dinkys and RR's... (DK3,RR3,KE3 models)

I remember those particular guitars having the skinniest and fastest necks I had ever played on an import model.

In recent years I have played numerous import Jackson models and I'm always disappointed to find the very mediocre necks they put on the jap made Jackson..They are NOTHING like those mid-90's Professional series guitar necks..

Why the change? Are they built in different plants nows or has Jackson just tried to please the masses?
      The answer is simple. Stick to the old ones. The mid-90s import didn't impress me, I prefer PRO's or earlier.

Comment

Didn't Caparison make the Professional guitars? Maybe you should get one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
          Didn't Caparison make the Professional guitars? Maybe you should get one of them.
          I thought it was Samick

Jackson have their own plant, the same one that made the 80s import Charvels and the 90s import Jacksons. The same plant that makes their current Pro series.

I don't notice a huge difference between the necks on my 90s Professionals and my 00s KE3. The KE3 neck has a satin finish, the older guitars have gloss. Beyond that I can't tell much difference beyond subtle changes in shape & thickness.

jacksonluvr, maybe your rose coloured glasses have you remembering the necks as more awesome than they really are. Maybe they were compared to whatever else you were playing at the time. maybe the Japanese Jackson factory used up their allocation of mojo some time around '98.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

The JTX and dinky HX have the thinnest fastest necks of any of the imports I have played. The rest seem to vary wildly.
            Haters gonna hate
            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
              The JTX and dinky HX have the thinnest fastest necks of any of the imports I have played. The rest seem to vary wildly.
              Yeah.....what he said.
              Throw down or fucking bite your own bullet.....

Comment

I've always failed to understand why "thinnest" always is coupled with "fastest", I don't find a thin neck any "faster" than a thicker neck and maybe the opposite.

Comment

Mid 90's professional necks are amazing. I've played quite a few different models from the era apart from what I own and they always feel like home. These days the Pro series still has great necks. I prefer the neckthru models as far as necks go. My slsmg is perfect, as is my 7. My mates rr24 is killer too! Perfect, perfect necks. Puts other manufacturers in a substandard league for me alot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                    Former employees of Jackson started Caparison.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                      I've always failed to understand why "thinnest" always is coupled with "fastest", I don't find a thin neck any "faster" than a thicker neck and maybe the opposite.
                      Same here. Playing fast is a technique that can be learned on any guitar. Thinner necks tend to make your hands cramp up faster anyway.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think that equating playing speed with neck dimensions is just a matter of marketing jargon rubbing off on customers. Look no further than Jackson's "Speed Neck" profile as an example. To me, the type of finish (or lack of) on a neck will have the most effect on playing speed.

As far as the variation in Jackson necks, it's certainly there, but it's nothing new. I have imports from the same series (JDX-94 Concept) made in the same year, one with an oiled neck and another with gloss. I have two very similar models (Dinky RVS and Dinky Rev) that are a year apart, one with a thinner neck. The necks on my 2005 and 2008 DK2Ms are the same, and quite a bit thicker than my old Dinky XL that is in most regards the same guitar with a different fretboard.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                          +1
                          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I've played all the new import Jackson necks and they are nice, just NOT the same as the Professional neck.. No rose colored glasses either... You like what you like, and I like the older professional necks versus these new ones..
                            John 3:16

Comment

I'm confused. Are the current Japanese necks nice, or very mediocre?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X