Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help to identify these 2 Jackson Dinky DK2, claimed made in USA ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help to identify these 2 Jackson Dinky DK2, claimed made in USA ???

Hi, all...

I'm newbie in Jackson (ibanez lover), but i'm looking to buy my first jackson USA guitar, then suddenly i found these 2 Jackson USA DK2 Dinky (so helpless, i didn't even know the finish name).

The Seller didn't familiar with jackson either, so he can't give me much information except these photos :

first dk2, price :

http://img126.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_223lo.jpg

http://img250.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_511lo.jpg

http://img232.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_243lo.jpg

http://img175.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_432lo.jpg

the second dk2 :
    http://img175.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_447lo.jpg

My questions :
    1. is it really usa made ? what year it is? can someone guide me to a reference about the spec of these guitars ? or it's japanesse and the seller just tried to fool me
    2. the first dk2 priced $1257 (good condition) and the second $1420 (very good condition), is it worth that much ?

I know it might be bothersome to help me ID these things, but maybe somebody here care to help me

Thanks for any help, good bless u
    Jackson Demon Custom Shop Black Cherry
    Ibanez RG5000SG
    Ibanez RGT3120TV
    Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
    Laney Cabinet 212 Lionheart
    POD Studio UX 2

I'm pretty sure DK2 always refers to the Japanese version of the DK1 (which is made in the USA). A DK2 has a rosewood fret board, an LFR and a serial number that begins with a 9 and is seven digits long--9XXXXXX. The DK1 has an ebony fret board, an OFR and the neck plate on the guitar pictured would not come on a DK2. Also, DK2's don't come with BL L500XL's in the bridge position. Ask the seller for close up pics of the headstock. The Jackson logo should be MOP--not white paint like a DK2--and I think it will have "USA" near the tip.

I've seen them go on ebay for around $1,000 (not more). IMO these are priced a bit high. For $1,200 you could get a USA made soloist.

The finish is called fire crackle.

Comment

None of those guitars are DK2s, and they do look like USA-made axes.

The first one, with the fire crackle finish, is most probably a Jackson "Fusion" (a short scale "super strat"). The combination of 24 fret neck and the unusual toggle switch between the knobs is a typical giveaway. This guitar is quite old; I'd say late 80's or early 90's. The singlecoils are Jackson J-200s, which haven't been in production for many years now. Also, the way the locking nut is mounted (with bolts through the neck), is the way they used to do it way back. Nowadays the locking nuts are screwed into the neck from the front, and there is nothing showing on the back of the neck.

I'm not sure what the second guitar is, but it looks like a more recent MIUSA Dinky. Maybe an older DK-1? I think the DK-1 used to have 22 frets and a H-S-S pickup combo before, but I'm not sure.

Comment

The second one is a 1997 DK1. They used to come with gold hardware, 22 frets, and H-S-S pickup configurations.

I don't know if it's necessarily worth $1420, depends on the condition I guess. Offer him maybe $1300 or $1200 for it.

Catalog scan:
        http://jacksonguitars.com/support/ca...97_catalog.pdf
        Last edited by MetalHeadMat; 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Here's a blue one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-DK-1-USA...item1e5cde9a12

Bloody hell I want one bad. The catalog I sent you (the DK1's are on page 4, btw), I played the quilted trans black one on the right, and god they're amazing.

Comment

Fusions (the one with the L500XL blade pup at the bridge) aren't worth as much as a DK1 even though the materials used to build it are just as good. $700 is a fair price for a fusion.

Comment

Hi all, thanks very much for the fast response

it's a very useful information for me

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              I'm pretty sure DK2 always refers to the Japanese version of the DK1 (which is made in the USA). A DK2 has a rosewood fret board, an LFR and a serial number that begins with a 9 and is seven digits long--9XXXXXX. The DK1 has an ebony fret board, an OFR and the neck plate on the guitar pictured would not come on a DK2. Also, DK2's don't come with BL L500XL's in the bridge position. Ask the seller for close up pics of the headstock. The Jackson logo should be MOP--not white paint like a DK2--and I think it will have "USA" near the tip.

I've seen them go on ebay for around $1,000 (not more). IMO these are priced a bit high. For $1,200 you could get a USA made soloist.

The finish is called fire crackle.
              I just contact the seller to post a close up picture of the headstock, can't wait

For this past 6 months, I have been monitoring my local forum where usually good & rare guitars being sold, and yet i never see a USA made soloist, the only cool soloist is this (price is $1035, in very good condition, and it's MIJ) :

http://img111.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_423lo.jpg

http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_109lo.jpg

http://img16.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_467lo.jpg

http://img164.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_437lo.jpg

http://img262.imagevenue.com/img.php...7_122_75lo.jpg

http://img172.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_361lo.jpg

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              None of those guitars are DK2s, and they do look like USA-made axes.

The first one, with the fire crackle finish, is most probably a Jackson "Fusion" (a short scale "super strat"). The combination of 24 fret neck and the unusual toggle switch between the knobs is a typical giveaway. This guitar is quite old; I'd say late 80's or early 90's. The singlecoils are Jackson J-200s, which haven't been in production for many years now. Also, the way the locking nut is mounted (with bolts through the neck), is the way they used to do it way back. Nowadays the locking nuts are screwed into the neck from the front, and there is nothing showing on the back of the neck.

I'm not sure what the second guitar is, but it looks like a more recent MIUSA Dinky. Maybe an older DK-1? I think the DK-1 used to have 22 frets and a H-S-S pickup combo before, but I'm not sure.
              then the seller just give me a false information then, or just like he claimed that he's also newbie in Jackson...

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
              The second one is a 1997 DK1. They used to come with gold hardware, 22 frets, and H-S-S pickup configurations.

I don't know if it's necessarily worth $1420, depends on the condition I guess. Offer him maybe $1300 or $1200 for it.

Catalog scan:
              http://jacksonguitars.com/support/ca...97_catalog.pdf
              thanks very much for the info & catalog, hehe... downloading now

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
              Here's a blue one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-DK-1-USA...item1e5cde9a12

Bloody hell I want one bad. The catalog I sent you (the DK1's are on page 4, btw), I played the quilted trans black one on the right, and god they're amazing.
              At first glare, i also fall with this DK 1, but the only thing that consider me, is the 22 fret, i usually play 24 though

Fusions (the one with the L500XL blade pup at the bridge) aren't worth as much as a DK1 even though the materials used to build it are just as good. $700 is a fair price for a fusion.
              then i may let go the fusions and just fight for the second one
              Ibanez RG5000SG
              Ibanez RGT3120TV
              Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
              POD Studio UX 2

Comment

Already see the catalogs n looks like the second guitar is Jackson DK 1 1997

Does anyone know what the thickness in first and 12 fret is ? actually i'm used to play 18mm at first fret and 20mm at 12 fret in my ibanez, so i wan't to know will this be a slightly change in feel for my playing, because i don't quite comfortable play a thick neck
                Ibanez RG5000SG
                Ibanez RGT3120TV
                Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
                POD Studio UX 2

Comment

I'm not sure where you live so my USA prices might not apply. An MIJ soloist--in this case an SL3--might only be worth between $500--700 USD used. New would be more. Current MIJ soloists have rosewood finger boards and no binding. US soloists have ebony boards and binding. Might be an MIK OFR in the pics you posted. Good luck...

Comment

I'm not sure where you live so my USA prices might not apply. An MIJ soloist--in this case an SL3--might only be worth between $500--700 USD used. New would be more. Current MIJ soloists have rosewood finger boards and no binding. US soloists have ebony boards and binding. Might be an MIK OFR in the pics you posted. Good luck...
                    I live in Indonesia, where it's hard to import guitars, because of the carding issues and other scam, ooohhh... crap....

and the only agency that i know can import guitars might add $900-$1100 for its cost (tax and the agency fee).

For example, last year my friend imported Ernie Ball Musicman Special Edition Dargie Delight II, price $2700, the total price that he had to pay $4350 (tax and agency fee)

Hmmm... the seller still didn't give me any responds yet
                    Ibanez RG5000SG
                    Ibanez RGT3120TV
                    Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
                    POD Studio UX 2

Comment

Originally posted by donnykbs View Post
                      For example, last year my friend imported Ernie Ball Musicman Special Edition Dargie Delight II, price $2700, the total price that he had to pay $4350 (tax and agency fee)
                      Yikes!!!!!

Comment

Yikes!!!!!
                        Same reaction too

BTW, after i did some reading, i got some information that jackson golden era was pre fender or before 1996, so this dk1 must be post fender era and from what i read, suffer downgrade in playability and sound. Do you ever compare the quality of jackson from, San Dimas (1983-1986), Ontario (1986-1991), High Shred (1992-1995) and Modern Era (1996-NOW) ?

Hope u have a nice day Truss
                        Last edited by donnykbs; 07-08-2010, 02:15 AM.
                        Ibanez RG5000SG
                        Ibanez RGT3120TV
                        Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
                        POD Studio UX 2

Comment

Same reaction too

BTW, after i did some reading, i got some information that jackson golden era was pre fender or before 1996, so this dk1 must be post fender era and from what i read, suffer downgrade in playability and sound. Do you ever compare the quality of jackson from, San Dimas (1983-1986), Ontario (1986-1991), High Shred (1992-1995) and Modern Era (1996-NOW) ?

I've never compared, but from what I've read here the differences are overstated. I have a DK2 (1999) and a DR3 (2003) and I can feel the quality every time I pick them up. After 30 years of playing around with a variety of guitar makes and models I can't image a guitar sounding better than my DR3. It's just a question of finding the right guitar for you. Good luck and hope you have a nice day, too.

Comment

Same reaction too

Post-Fender Jacksons aren't any worse. People who want to sell their older Jacksons say that so they can try to get more money.
                            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

BTW, after i did some reading, i got some information that jackson golden era was pre fender or before 1996, so this dk1 must be post fender era and from what i read, suffer downgrade in playability and sound.
                              That's shit talk, started by people who want to get more money out of their old, beaten-to-crap guitars.

1: First of all; Fender bought Jackson, but they never "took over" or assimilated the brand. While the Jackson USA guitars are now made in the Fender Factory in Corona, they are not made by Fender employees, and not from Fender parts. Jackson have their own wood storage there, their own production line, their own staff (of which many moved with the company when it was bought), and they run their business their own way.

2: There have been hits and misses quality-wise with the USA Jacksons, but as far as I'm told, quality has gone up since Fender's buyout. Apparently it was at its worst during the last months of AKAI ownership.

3: The reason that there is a "golden era", has to do with the imports, not the USA-made guitars. "The golden era of Jackson imports" was 1990-1995, when there were import guitars (made in Japan) with the same features and level of build quality as the USA-made guitars, but at a lower price. I've not heard of any such "golden era" when it comes to USA-made guitars, although many speak fondly of the Jacksons and Charvels that were built in the "San Dimas" factory, in Glendora, California.

4. The Japan-made imports have suffered a downgrade in features since 1996, so they wouldn't compete directly with the high-end USA guitars. Bound ebony fretboards and high quality trems disappeared, but they are still made in the same factory (where the Charvel Model series started being made in 1986). They kept on building high-end Jacksons for the Japanese market but they were never actively exported to the west. In recent years, it is under Fender ownership that new high-end MIJ imports have started to make a comeback; take the RR24, or the Signature series for example.

5. I'm sure people would take the introduction of the JS-series (made in India) as a sign of "watering down the brand", but it was started before Fender was in the picture, and prior to those, there were the Korean-made Performers. However, even the JS series have gotten better since Fender took over.

The only negative thing I can think of right now that Fender have done to Jackson, is that they told the Jackson staff to stop building custom guitars with Gibson body shapes. This is due to a "Gentlemen's agreement" between Gibson and Fender, to not copy each other's body shapes. This is why the Y2KV disappeared, and there are no longer any Jackson Explorers or Firebirds being made.
                              Last edited by Sunbane; 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X