No announcement yet.

Fabulous neck, crappy guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron I don't think he got that.I would pass on that guitar.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

:ROTF: (Ron / newb)

Keep searching. Check out pawn shops and craigslist. No need to rush into a bad decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
        If you place the guitar on your leg between the V, it sits there nice. You don't have to angle your arm, but since the lower leg of the v is shorter, it makes for a nice angle and the best of the both worlds. Then, when you eventually stand up, it balances nicely and looks sick.
        Tried that. It was a little hard for me to reach the top frets sitting like that. Not bad, but a little awkward. It didn't have a strap so I don't know how good the balance is while standing.

I play in our church praise band sometimes. I'd LOVE to show up with a Rhoads one week. Hee hee hee -- the kids would love it but the blue-hairs would faint.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Rhoads...
        Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
        Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
        Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
        Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
        Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
          Tried that. It was a little hard for me to reach the top frets sitting like that. Not bad, but a little awkward. It didn't have a strap so I don't know how good the balance is while standing.

I play in our church praise band sometimes. I'd LOVE to show up with a Rhoads one week. Hee hee hee -- the kids would love it but the blue-hairs would faint.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Rhoads...

You must've thought about that the first time you saw a BC rich. I'd so go in there with a Kerry King tribal warlock and do it Red hot chili peppers style. Nothin' but a sock on my john

Comment

so the grannies like to color their hair blue in the US as well?
            I never got what the idea behind this is, but they look the same here anyway...

the rhoads (IMO) is by far the most comfortable shape sitting down.
            I have to say I started out with a rhoads, so I can't really say what it feels like for a rhoads-newb, but anyway, any non-rhoads-shaped guitar feels kind of weird for me.
            actually I have to stand up to play my model 5...
            I never know wether I should put it on my left or right leg sitting down...

well; if you play a rhoads; you most likely will get used to it anyway.
            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
              You must've thought about that the first time you saw a BC rich. I'd so go in there with a Kerry King tribal warlock and do it Red hot chili peppers style. Nothin' but a sock on my john
              OK, the sock is probably going too far. But I just found a Jackson Rhoads hardtail with an EMG 81/85 combo for $175.

It's about 3 hours away. I might have to start a new thread...
              Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
              Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

That's a sick deal man. The pick-ups are worth a bit less than that new, so all said and done that's a good price.

Comment

Crap. Just saw a pic. The fret markers are dots, not shark fins. According to the Jackson site that means the Indian JS model. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So someone put $200 pickups in a $200 guitar?

I'm waiting for serial # info from the seller.
                  Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                  Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

I am not a pro at this, but i believe since Fender took over, only the Indian models have the dot inlays, with the exception of some signature models. I do remember seeing some older Jackson Performer series with the dot inlays. I've seen a couple with maple boards and dots inlays to the left side of the board. I am pretty sure that's a JS. A friend of mine put the 81/85 in his X series King V. Just a step above. The guitar was worth 300-400$ at the time and the pickups were about 200$ so it puts things into perspective. He liked it and still has it. This other guy changed his mind. At worst, buy take the pick-ups, swap some passives if you have any lying around and you can probably make your money back. That way you can start looking around for about any guitar you want if you have the pick-ups you need.

Comment

who said it's a post fender?

could be anything, JS30, PS-3, JRR-94, dot inlays don't automaticly mean india in my book.
                      does it have 24 frets?
                      if it comes with 22, chances are it's MIJ.

other than that; if you really need active EMGs in your guitar, the choice will be quite limited.
                      you could snap this rhoads for 200 (or even less if you talk him down), see if you like it, and if not, you could always get another guitar, without beeing limited to EMG equipted ones.
                      swap PUs, sell the rhoads with the other PUs for 100 bucks and have a decent deal.

as fender said; the EMGs alone are worth quite a lot.
                      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Dang, it sold yesterday. That would have made a nice toy while I kept searching for a US/Jap Jackson.

It was a 24 fret.
                        Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                        Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

So it was a JS30RR, made in India. Meh.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            So it was a JS30RR, made in India. Meh.
                            Yeah, but for $175 and active EMG's I'd bite hard. I'm up for project guitar, esp in tough times like this.

The reviews in Harmony Central indicate that these have merit if you're willing to finish the setup work that the Asians skip AND replace all the electronics. Especially inviting if someone already went to the trouble of adding EMGs. Probably won't find THAT again tho.

Reminds me of my Home Shopping Network Esteban acoustic. I nursed that thing into playability.
                            Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                            Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Working...
                            X