Fabulous neck, crappy guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabulous neck, crappy guitar

Hey guys. I'm currently shopping for my 2nd guitar (see my other thread) and need some help. I've been playing tons of guitars lately, and by far my favorite neck is on a used $149 Dinky at a Guitar Center.

Serial #01060332

Pros:
    1. Perfect slim neck shape
    2. Good fret finish & binding
    3. Liked the finish on the back of the neck
    4. It feels fast and I can hit all my notes

Cons:
    1. Guitar was beat to hell
    2. Non-locking trem, no lock nuts, corroded tuners
    3. Action was high toward the bridge

I've been playing lots of guitars, but I keep coming back to this one. Guitar Center has no idea what it is. The scale length is 25" (I had them measure it). It looks EXACTLY like a cheap JS1 to me, but the Jackson site lists the scale length for a JS1 as a 25.5". I have some pics from my phone if that would help anyone.

Jacksons are almost impossible to find around here (new or used), so I need help from you guys: Is there a US or Japanese made Jackson with this neck design?
    Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
    Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
    Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
    Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
    Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

AFAIK Jackson has never made a 25" scale guitar. 25.5" and 24.75", but never a 25". So they either measured it incorrectly (measure from nut to 12th and double it) or it's not a Jackson.

If it is a Jackson, then the serial number makes it an import. I'm not a serial number expert, but I believe 8 digit numbers starting with 0 are the JS series.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post

So they either measured it incorrectly (measure from nut to 12th and double it) or it's not a Jackson.
      Heh, I wondered about their aptitude, so as a test I had her measure a Rhoades (also over the phone) and she came up with the correct 25.5". :\
      Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
      Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
        Jacksons are almost impossible to find around here (new or used), so I need help from you guys: Is there a US or Japanese made Jackson with this neck design?

I've seen few at some local Pawn shops down here by Evansville.. May give them A look if you haven't already..
        Yo Kramer Infinity Sustainer
        Kramer Focus 3000
        Jackson DR3
        Washburn SB-8 T-Bird

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
          Heh, I wondered about their aptitude, so as a test I had her measure a Rhoades (also over the phone) and she came up with the correct 25.5". :\

She could've just read the pamphlet on that one. It's not impossible, especially when they stock and sell them. Can you get pictures of it ? also if i were you i'd deal it a bit. Tax in or anything. They'll probably comply. If it was such a deal, it wouldn't still be in that shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
            She could've just read the pamphlet on that one.
            Yeah, I know. That was part of the test. I KNEW the Rhoades was 25.5, so I had her check as a test. She passed. Some of those kids can't find their arse with both hands...

Here's a picture of the "Used Dinky" with an awesome neck.

Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
            Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

JS-1 with stock JE-10 in the neck, looks like an SH-8 Invader in the bridge. 22 fret neck, Indian cedro body, metallic red. JE-10 is stock, SH-8 isn't.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                JS-1 with stock JE-10 in the neck, looks like an SH-8 Invader in the bridge. 22 fret neck, Indian cedro body, metallic red. JE-10 is stock, SH-8 isn't.
                Great, thanks! Now that I know what it is, what better-quality Jackson is the same size and feel? Another Dinky, I presume?
                Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  It's not a real Invader. It's the lower Duncan Designed model.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd say the DXMG is the next step up. Can't comment on the neck similarity though.

Honestly, if you really like the feel of this one, buy it.
                    Scott

Comment

Neck shapes can get all over the place. If you like this one, offer them $100 for the guitar.

Comment

RHOADS

dude

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Neck shapes can get all over the place. If you like this one, offer them $100 for the guitar.
                          Yeah, I hear you. I even when there last Friday with cash, but couldn't bring myself to buy it. The guitar is just junk and doesn't play well on the upper frets. I wouldn't enjoy it. Liked the neck tho.

That's why I'm looking for a better quality guitar of similar design. If I could get my hands on more than TWO Jacksons I'd be able to make my own decision, but that's why I'm here looking for help from you guys.
                          Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                          Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            RHOADS

dude

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Rhoads a lot. There's even a sig model that fits almost all of my requirements. The Matt Tuck model has

Ebony
                            EMG 81/85
                            Hard tail
                            H-H config

It's just kind of hard to play sitting down. And the volume knob is so close to the strings that I keep hitting my knuckles on it. They might grow on me tho. Love the look too.
                            Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                            Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

If you place the guitar on your leg between the V, it sits there nice. You don't have to angle your arm, but since the lower leg of the v is shorter, it makes for a nice angle and the best of the both worlds. Then, when you eventually stand up, it balances nicely and looks sick.

Comment

Working...
                              X