New guy with a Charvel Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with a Charvel Model 4

Hi everyone,got a Model 4 last week. My 1st FR guitar. Has been changed to an OFR & Sperzels. I was reading somewhere else and it was stated that these pups are passive,not active like I was told? again my 1st active pup guitar also.

Mid-boosted electronics, if stock.
    That looks like a beauty!

Welcome to the forum!

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks that answer was just posted in another thread I was reading. So basically the only avtive part is the mid boost. I find it kind of stale sounding. Thinking of a pup swap. It's in great shape,the OFR & SPerzels are brand new,no real dings in it exceot 1 very small 1 on the neck in nowhere important. I like the feel of it,just need to get it sounding the way I like

Comment

Sweet Model 4 you have there!

Welcome to JCF, you'll like it here...almost as much as your Charvel

Comment

I find that if you don't over-boost the mids, the pickups are kinda nice.

Tough to say though, since everyone has a different sound they are going for.

If you decide to rip out the pickups/electronics, they bring a pretty penny on E-Bay.
          --floydkramer

Comment

That is SWEET

Comment

My issue with it is this. Running the exact same settings on my pedals,it sounds thin if that is a correct term,then plug in my Swede & OMG it's like night and day. Sustain & sounds warmer/fuller. I know the Swede is a LP but my old Strat sounded warmer with a DiMarzio Fred HB. Even tweaking some I still haven't found the setting to fill out the sound on the Charvel. I'm using a HRD & a Crate V33H & V212 cab.
              Last edited by RobV; 01-01-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobV View Post
                My issue with it is this. Running the exact same settings on my pedals,it sounds thin if that is a correct term,then plug in my Swede & OMG it's like night and day. Sustain & sounds warmer/fuller. I know the Swede is a LP but my old Strat sounded warmer with a DiMarzio Fred HB. Even tweaking some I still haven't found the setting to fill out the sound on the Charvel. I'm using a HRD & a Crate V33H & V212 cab.
                you will need to play around with your eq settings....spikes right once you fill out the eq the boost can give you a randy sorta sound...think he used a whaa pedal to boost his mids though....but if you are into thrash metal or something like that....you can still change pickups and keep the midboost in[spike told me, so kudos to him] welcome by the way ...nice guitar..
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I'm more the classic rock/non cookie monster metal type. I like that even until cookie comes in if you get my drift? I even like all the crazy hair band guitar. I grew up in the 80's :P Thanks fella's I'll keep tweaking before I decide to change the electronics. The GF has a hang over so I can't fire up the rig

Comment

Welcome! that's a beauty. What I have found is that the pickup sounds good it is just not as high output. After 20 years i just put a X2N in my model 6. Needless to say there is a huge diffierence.

Comment

Rich,
                      I just got my first X2N a few months ago from FirebirdV, and man oh man are they nice.
                      I'm using it in my Warmoth mahogany body/Jackson USA neck mutt.
                      Didn't take long to become one of my favorite pickups!!!
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Nice piece Congrats.

I always ended up scrapping the Jackson Electronics

Comment

Very nice - reminds me of my first red Model 4 - I miss it so much... anywho:

I never liked the stock electronics and pickups in these Charvels. I pulled both the pickups and the mid boost for a set of EMG's - 81/S/S... very nice.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and advice,thought.
                            Next question I guess is it came with a couple set a new Dean Markley Blue Steel 10's so I decided to try them. I then watch a couple vids on setting FR up and they state you should only be using 9's? I have been using EB Hybrid 9's,the Charvel feels stiffer than just having new strings so I'm probably changing to Hybrids. Again my 1st dble locking trem so is it natural that it will be stiffer playing or is it those strings & should I just go to 9's?

Comment

10's will be stiffer than 9s for sure. I used to use 9s, and went to 10s for a little more tone and like them more.

Not sure why the videos would say to use 9s only tho. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X