Model 6 ???????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 ???????????

I have a question about the model 6 series. I know they were supposed to be somewhat similar to the Jackson soloist but were they the only thru neck model series guitars and what were the years that they were made? Also what tremolo systems should be on them? I own a model 1 and love it but I have run across a model 6 but was just wondering what is a fair price for one and is there anything to look out for? Thanks in advance for any help .

The Model 5 (and it's variants) and the Model 6 were both neck thru guitars.
    In 86 they came with Kahler trems and in 87 and 88 they had Jackson JT-6 trems.
    In 89. they became the 550 XL and 650 XL and got Jackson JT-590 (Schaller) trems.
    The 750 XL (short scale archtop) was also introduced.

Price depends on condition and year it was made. I've seen a super clean 88 Model 6 fetch close to $700. But as with anything, it's worth as much as you are willing to pay for it.
    The 86's don't tend to sell real well due to the Kahler.
    -Rick

Comment

The 750 is a contoured set-neck as opposed to being neck-thru.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

^^^ Yep... I forgot to mention that aspect of the guitar.
        I've never seen one up close and in person.
        -Rick

Comment

Model 5s are neckthru but have dot inlays and no binding. Plus, they are H/H with a blade switch (3-way?) as opposed to H/S/S and the on/off toggles.
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I haven't either. They've been rather elusive for me, then again, I've kinda got a phobia of necks that are not easily replaceable. I've seen pictures and the body looks flat up until the neck/body joint and then it just tapers around that area.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Model 5 had a 5- way switch.......

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
                Model 5s are neckthru but have dot inlays and no binding. Plus, they are H/H with a blade switch (3-way?) as opposed to H/S/S and the on/off toggles.
                Model 5 variations also include the 5A (one hum) and the 5FX (H-S)
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Yep.......but Iwas refering to the H/H model. They had a 5-way blade switch.........

Comment

Is it true, that model 6 has nut width of 1 3/4 (~44 mm) opposed to soloist`s 1 11/16 (~42 mm)? I did not find specifications of neck dimensions for model series of 86-88. 650 (and that series) has soloist nut width according to catalogs.

ps. Mine has 44 mm width.
                    psps. By searching the forum I found that nut width is 1 11/16 on most import charvels (my Fusion has this width).
                    Maybe my model 6 is some kind of custom made: http://malefice.fatal.ru/files/Caparison/MyGuitars.htm
                    Last edited by deLuther; 11-15-2007, 04:51 AM.

Comment

My Model 6 neck measures just a tiny bit wider at the nut than my other Model Series necks (about 1/32" or ~.5mm). I think the difference is probably due to the binding + the thickness of the clearcoat. The string spacing is identical, and to me it feels like any other 1 11/16" neck.

Comment

WOW this disscussion is great. I Do not know a great deal about the Charvels. But after reading this thread it gives a lot more information as far as tech about the Model 6. I was always told that the Charvel Model 6 is the closes you can get to a SL1. My one friend says he actually prefers the Model 6 to his SL1. I had not heard to much about the Charvel 650 how do they compare to the Model 6?

Comment

The 650 and the Model 6 are essentially the same guitar.
                          Different trem and nut, but the rest of it is pretty much unchanged.
                          -Rick

Comment

Cool like I said my friend would never give his Model 6 up. He has a SH1 and a SL2H and the Charvel gets way more play time.

Comment

The M6 and the 650 are both really close to a Jackson Soloist, but they have an old-school heel, and more importantly; a non-recessed trem. It's like they're patterened after a typical mid-to-late 80's Soloist. Except - they have rosewood boards instead of ebony.

Comment

Working...
                              X