Refinished Model 2 eye candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
    Very cool! Too bad that the pickup isn't painted though...
    That's just the eye patch!!!

Comment

By the way, killer!

Comment

I like it,but 5 months?.......
        Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I didn't worry about the time that much. I knew that he was slow on the turn around times from Bengals threads about his.

How did they clear coat turn out? He never levels mine. I ended up re-wet sanding and polishing the finish to get it to a "factory" job. The one before I re-cleared my self and buffed it out.
          Since you mentioned it. I took it out of the case and looked it over. I had put it up after I put it together because the input jack needs resoldered, and metaljunkie is going to fix it for me. Now that I've looked at it closer, the clear coat job doesn't appear to have hardened properly to me. I initally saw a two small pen tip sized imperfections in the clear coat that could only be seen holding the body up close.

Three things I've just noticed is that the clear coat/paint has bulged up where I tightened the pick-up ring down. Another thing I noticed, is that I always put a spare trem cavity cover under my floyds so I don't scratch the finish when I put the bridge in and the springs on it. There is a small indention about a half an inch long where the trem spring cover dug into the finish right at the upper and lower trem posts. Also, when I took the neck plate off the finish was mashed up at each bolt area of the neck plate. Could this be because it hasn't cured properly?

Comment

Razor,

Was Big Head ever able to get that issue worked out for you? Paul has my guitar at the moment.

Comment

Awesome mate! har har har!

Do you have to take special care of the graphics? The factory models that come with graphics have a lacquer coating on them right? Does the guitar have this lacquer on?
              Last edited by emperor_black; 04-10-2007, 05:00 PM.
              Sam

Comment

I did "by the book" rattle-can finish of a guitar I built. A year later, it still hadn't cured properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  Razor,

Was Big Head ever able to get that issue worked out for you? Paul has my guitar at the moment.
                  Paul currently has the guitar. He said he was sure the clear coat had not cured properly, and that he would get it fixed for me. He was totally professional and nice in talking to me about the clear coat issue.

Time is not much of an issue for me as I would rather see him take a reasonable amount of time and get it right. I'm fortunate that I have a few other guitars to keep me patient while I'm waiting.

I'll give him credit where it's due, he did a great job with the graphic. Everyone else that I contacted about doing it said they would not be able to get the worn fabric look.

It took him around five months to get it to me the first time, but again, I wasn't in a hurry and pressing for it. If I had to guess, I'll be without it another couple of months. I have heard he stays pretty covered up with work.

When I get it back, it'll be getting a Musikraft birdseye neck that I ordered for it, and an original Floyd. I'll also being posting the final quality control review and pictures once I receive it.

Comment

thats a cool graphic

Comment

Well...I have the guitar back from Big Head Guitars. The clear coat is still soft. It's not quite as soft as it was, but still soft enough for the clear coat to still bulge up around the pick up ring. He had it for right at three months, and it appears to me that all Paul did the second time around was buff it. For the time being I'm going to leave well enough alone.

I've put the new Musikraft neck on it, and with Metaljunkie's help she's been rewired, set up and ready to rock. The neck is downright awesome, with very good fit and finish.

I've changed the pictures in my original post to reflect what it looks like now so it's time for a BUMP.

Comment

Beautiful guitar!
                        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                        X