No announcement yet.

Import Serial Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, that would be cool but I don't think I'll ever part with it. Too many stars aligned when it fell into my hands. It has certainly convinced me that Jackson/Charvel guitars are the bomb!

Comment

I totally enjoy my 2 Charvels.. got an 86 model2 kahler trem... and my 375 deluxe which I LUV!

Comment

Regarding my thoughts (above) about starting a page listing as many import Charvel guitars that we can......And the additonal idea regarding starting another page doing the same with import Jacksons....I would like input as to what information we should gather for this list?

I also think that the only way it will happen is if someone starts it.....But I would like more "input" from everyone.

I completely realize that after we do this, we may find that there is - in fact - not rhyme or reason to the serial numbering - however, in putting all in "sequential order" we will create a "catalogue" which will have value, if only, as a "point of interest"....however, the fact remains that of all the '86 - thru 90, there is a limited number of guitars made (even though it may be in the tens of thousands)...I think it would be fun to see them all and make such lists ? ! ?

In creating the list of questions we should get answered - here are my sugestions:
        Model # ?
        Color:
        Serial # ?
        neck plate has gasget or not?
        Fingerboard - maple - rosewood - ebony?
        Neck scale:
        pickup configuration ?
        Pickguard - no pickguard ?
        Tremolo - Yes - no?
        Tremolo type?
        Year purchased?
        Where purchased?
        Price?

Can anyone come up with any more ideas?

Comment

Type of metal used for
          Celebrity owned?
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What if the japanese Fujigen guitar plant has logged every single one and has a list already?
            Nice wishful thinking, eh?
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

To the above list, I'd add "TM or R on headstock/neckplate?" just to see if that issue can be nailed down better. Fingerboard wood, trem or no, scale length, pickup config, & pickguard or no are all known for each model & didn't change year to year. If any of those specs changed, the guitar got a different designation.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                What if the japanese Fujigen guitar plant has logged every single one and has a list already?
                Nice wishful thinking, eh?
                I and all of us would only wish such would be so !

Comment

Originally posted by dg
                  To the above list, I'd add "TM or R on headstock/neckplate?" just to see if that issue can be nailed down better. Fingerboard wood, trem or no, scale length, pickup config, & pickguard or no are all known for each model & didn't change year to year. If any of those specs changed, the guitar got a different designation.

I agree, however, I am seeing this "redundancy" as a means to "double check" the information being offered....as someone may be confused as to their correct model number and this would be a means to correct it?
                  If you have a better idea on how to "check" our info, please let me know....I am completely open to all ideas.

OK, So at this point we have:
                  1. Model number:
                  2. Color:
                  3. Serial number:
                  4. Neckplate has a gasket or not??
                  5. "TM" or "R" on headstock/neckplate:
                  6. Fingerboard - maple - rosewood - ebony:
                  7. Neck Scale:
                  8 Pickup configuration:
                  9 Pickguard - no pickguard:
                  10. Tremolo - yes - no:
                  11. Tremolo type:
                  12. Year purchased:
                  13. Where purchasd:
                  14. Price:
                  15. Celebrity owned:
                  16. Type of music used for:

Any other ideas ?

Comment

Two thoughts:

Do we really care about #16?

If we're thinking of this as a registry, where someone ten years from now will go to look up a pawnshop prize or whatever, shouldn't we have something saying whether the guitar has been modified?

Comment

Here's an alternate list for consideration:

1. Model:
                      2. Color:
                      3. Serial number:
                      4. Neckplate has a gasket?
                      5. "TM" or "R" on headstock/neckplate:
                      6. Fingerboard material:
                      7. Fingerboard inlay shape and material:
                      8. Pickup configuration:
                      9. Do pickups say "Jackson" on them?:
                      10. Trim ring(s) around humbucker(s)? (Y/N/NA)
                      11. Pickguard? If yes, describe:
                      12. Bridge type:
                      13. Year purchased by current owner:
                      14. Celebrity owned?
                      15. Other details that seem unusual?
                      16. Does it appear to have been modified?

And here I'll supply answers for one of my guitars:

1. Model 4
                      2. Black cherry
                      3. 247554
                      4. Has neckplate gasket
                      5. TM in both places
                      6. Rosewood
                      7. Abalone dots
                      8. H/S/S
                      9. Yes.
                      10. Yes.
                      11. No pickguard
                      12. Kahler 2320
                      13. 2006
                      14. Unknown.
                      15. No.
                      16. No.

What's missing? What else would you want to know?
                      Last edited by jacflash; 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

while this is a great idea, the problem is that a lot of us received most of these second hand so you have no idea if they've been pieced together. I think this will only work if you've purchased this originally or know for a fact it has not been altered. Quite frankly, there are very few people here that had actually bought them new but there are definitely some out there. Not that it would make a huge list though.
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Well, you can look at screw heads and solder joints and get something of a clue, not 100% certainty but an idea. Most of the time, when a guitar in this price range has been modded it's not exactly hard to detect.

Comment

Originally posted by jacflash
                            Two thoughts:

Do we really care about #16?

If we're thinking of this as a registry, where someone ten years from now will go to look up a pawnshop prize or whatever, shouldn't we have something saying whether the guitar has been modified?
                            Dear Jac,
                            Thanks for the great ideas.....I like it! Regarding # 16 - Many years ago (to many) I purchased a 1952 powder blue telecaster in a pawnshop. The wear on the neck seemed very strange and inside the pickguard, I found someone's name. I found that the player/previouse owner had been a country music artist - which explained the neck wear......Personally I found that interesting....I later put that info inside the pickguard, along with my name and sold that guitar to Jeff Beck's roadie on the first Jeff Beck Group tour of the US. I personally like the "history" value of #16. I would like to keep it.

Budman,
                            I agree that most of us may not know if the guitar has been modified or not....especially since this brand of guitar seemed to "thrive" on offering a whole list of "options"....However, I don't mind putting forth this question....I always feel, the more info, the better.

Also, I have a question about "Price". I am mixed about having this on the list. On one hand I am always interested in what someone paid for their used/new guitar.....I guess it is the old "guitar collector" in me.....But on the other hand, I wouldn't want people thinking that because I paid $130.00 for my black Model 7, that it is should be considered "worth that today" ? What are your feelings....what are everyone's feelings? I am torn, but leaning towards leaving "price" in .

Also, I have added a new question....That being..."Headstock - lacquer - thin plastic cap - thick plastic cap":
                            I added this because I have a model 2 with a lacquered headstock, two model 3's with "thin plastic caps" on the headstock and a Deluxe Fusion and a Model 3-A with "thick plastic caps" on the headstock.....The "thin caps" serial numbers start with "2" and the "thick caps" have serial numbers starting with "3"? Any thoughts?

Anyway, here is where we are so far.......Please everyone offer suggestions and let me know what your thoughts are. I want to be as thorough as possible, because once you start something like this....it is a "bitch" to try to go back and change or alter the questions......Sooooooo Check it out and let me know what cha think ! ! !

1. Model:
                            2. Color:
                            3. Serial number:
                            4. Neck-plate has a gasket: (Y/N)
                            5. “TM” or “R” on the headstock/neck-plate:
                            6. Headstock – lacquer, thin plastic cap – thick plastic cap:
                            7. Fingerboard material:
                            8. Fingerboard inlay shape and material:
                            9. Pickup configuration:
                            10. Do pickups say “Jackson” on them:
                            11. Pickguard – If yes, describe:
                            12. Trim ring(s) around humbucker(s): (Y/N/NA)
                            13. Bridge type:
                            14. Tremolo type:
                            15. Year purchased by current owner:
                            16. Where purchased:
                            17. Price:
                            18. Celebrity Owned:
                            19. Type of music used for:
                            20. Does the guitar appear to have been “modified”:
                            21. Any other details that seem unusual:

Comment

I think, for purposes of these guitars, 13 and 14 are redundant. I hear you about being thorough but if you make the list too long and imposing you won't get anyone willing to complete it.

My objection to the "celebrity owned" thing is that, for 99% of these guitars, the answer will be "no", and most of the 1% will be the usual music store bullshit stories... y'know, "I've been told that Steve Vai owned this, but we can't prove it", that sort of thing. The "any other details" entry can catch the few legit examples.

Also, as far as headstock caps, I think we'd need to nail down the total number of variations. The cap on my Model 3 LOOKS slightly thicker than the one on my Model 4, but I'm not sure it's enough of a difference to call it a variation, but given that they're both Kahler-equipped I'm willing to believe that it's just an insignificant variation -- or a trick of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by jacflash
                                I think, for purposes of these guitars, 13 and 14 are redundant. I hear you about being thorough but if you make the list too long and imposing you won't get anyone willing to complete it.

My objection to the "celebrity owned" thing is that, for 99% of these guitars, the answer will be "no", and most of the 1% will be the usual music store bullshit stories... y'know, "I've been told that Steve Vai owned this, but we can't prove it", that sort of thing. The "any other details" entry can catch the few legit examples.

Also, as far as headstock caps, I think we'd need to nail down the total number of variations. The cap on my Model 3 LOOKS slightly thicker than the one on my Model 4, but I'm not sure it's enough of a difference to call it a variation, but given that they're both Kahler-equipped I'm willing to believe that it's just an insignificant variation -- or a trick of the light.
                                I agree with you regarding 13 and 14....I screwed up and actually meant to only go with your "heading" of "Bridge Type".

I would also conceed that "celebrity owned" will bring forth exactlly what you are stating and therefore should be "deleated".

Regarding the headstock "cap" - a part of me is also agreeing with you that "to many questions will make this questionair too cumbersome to get answered"....So I am also in agreement that it should be left off the list as well.

Sooooo, I guess that gets us here:

1. Model:
                                2. Color:
                                3. Serial number:
                                4. Neck-plate has a gasket: (Y/N)
                                5. “TM” or “R” on the headstock/neck-plate:
                                6. Fingerboard material:
                                7. Fingerboard inlay shape and material:
                                8. Pickup configuration:
                                9. Do pickups say “Jackson” on them:
                                10. Pickguard – If yes, describe:
                                11. Trim ring(s) around humbucker(s): (Y/N/NA)
                                12. Bridge type:
                                13. Year purchased by current owner:
                                14. Where purchased:
                                15. Price:
                                16. Type of music used for:
                                17. Does the guitar appear to have been “modified”:
                                18. Any other details that seem unusual:

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X