Model 4 Fire Crackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model 4 Fire Crackle

Yes I agree it is a 3DR without seeing the headstock it was hard to tell I found a blue one identical to yours like I said I'm new at this and only had seen the HSS config. Thganks for the education. Post your pics tonight then I'll download them and tweak them up and post a group shot of the 3 sisters ok GF.

Later BB

Comment

10-4 BB. I'll take those pics tonight at some point and get them up here for you. That'll be pretty cool seeing all three of them in the same collage together.

I'm not sure if you know this yet, so I'll tell you just in case. On all the model series Charvels that are bolt-ons, you can take the neck off and look in the neck pocket. There you will see a stamped description of the guitar which tells you exactly what model it is. The stamp in the neck pocket of my Firecrackle reads "3DR." Also, the 3DR was replaced by the Predator in about 1990. It was the same guitar, but had the toothpaste logo and was sculpted at the neck-joint for easier access. Just trying to give you some info you might not know. I can also show you pics of any of these guitars as well. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Here's a pic of some of my other Charvels. (I know some of you have already seen this one)
        Dana <~~~
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

OK DANA, THAT'S JUST CRUEL AND ROTTEN TO SHOW ME THOSE! Man what agreat collection of the model series. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
          That is a portrait suitable for framing. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

OOOps almost forgot to ask. What is your Model 88 numbered at? I would love to find one of those.
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Sorry Budman...I was just trying to share my stuff. heheheh [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And...that's not all of them. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Actually there are 2 Model 88's there. On one of them I had to replace the neck, because the headstock had been broken off. That's why it's missing the correct reverse headstock. Only one of them has the original neckplate, and the serial number is 04 something. 412 or something like that...can't remember exactly without looking at it.

Also there is a candy apple red Predator (right next to the 3DR) which replaced the Model 3DR. You can see that they are the same guitar with a different logo.
              Dana <~~~

[ February 14, 2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] OMFG!!!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Now that may be an considered a bit obsesive. Next time my Wife cracks to me about how many I have I'll just call up this pic for her and say that this would be normal. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Nice lookin bunch o ladies you have there. Yeah I was aware of the neck pocket stamping mine Model 4 is stamped M 4-6 what does the 6 mean? Also seeing that you know this Guitar line far better than I what is the history behind the Fire Crackle, how many were made, were they special order, what models were available in this finish.

Thanks Man I'll check for your pics later then give me a day.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] BB [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Here are some better pics of the 3DR. I hope they are good enough for the collage, because that's about the best I can do. Sorry, I suck at photography.

BB, I really don't know any history about the Firecrackle series...if you can call it that. They were not special order guitars...you could walk into a shop and buy them off the rack. All I know is that the one I have is the ONLY one I have ever personally run across. As I said, I found it in a pawnshop by calling a whole bunch of them and saying "Uh yes, do you guys have any Charvel guitars in your shop right now?" One guy goes "Yeah, we have this one that's like orange and black and looks like lava." I knew exactly what he was talking about and drove out of town and bought it right away. I'd like to have a couple more. I never play this one because the condition is near mint and I can't stand to put any wear on it...especially since I have others I can play where it won't matter if I wear them out. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Oh and BB, thanks for the nice compliments on my guitars. I'm very proud of them, and it took a long time before I was able to afford to do this.
                  Dana <~~~

[ February 14, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
                  '85 Rhoads Custom
                  '86 SD Str*t
                  '86 Model 4 (5)
                  '87 Model 1
                  '87 Model 6
                  '88 Model 3DR
                  '90 650 XL
                  '94 KE-3
                  '97 DR Amberburst
                  '97 Dinky BOFlames
                  '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I have only seen a 5&6 and Jackson nevr a 3 or 4. toloud found they were only made 1 year and that was 88. So I would have to say they would be rare for a production Guitar. I play all my Axes I have a 1978 Taylor 510 one of the first hundred that were made from there Lemon Grove Location. I have been offered lots O money but I have had since new and the sentimental value is priceless. I play this guitar regularley and it still sounds unreal.

Do you know what the stamp means in my neck pocket
                    M 4-6 it the 6 thats confusing me.

The Pics look good nothin a little PhotoShop won't fix I'll throw somthin together and post I hope by tomorrow night.

Where is it you live. Let me guess______TEXAS?

Later GF [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I've seen (not in person, but online) Models 3,4,5,6 and the Predator with the Firecrackle scheme...as well as some Jacksons. I've never seen a Model 1 or 2 with this paint...probably because those were the low-end models and that paintjob was a little pricey to produce in relation to the cost of those lower-end guitars.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what the 6 means in your neck pocket.

Can't wait to see the pic you do with all 3 of the Firecrackles in one. I'll check tomorrow.

Yes, I live in Texas. What made you think that? Well, it's in my profile, is that how you guessed?
                      Dana <~~~ [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ February 14, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
                      '85 Rhoads Custom
                      '86 SD Str*t
                      '86 Model 4 (5)
                      '87 Model 1
                      '87 Model 6
                      '88 Model 3DR
                      '90 650 XL
                      '94 KE-3
                      '97 DR Amberburst
                      '97 Dinky BOFlames
                      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Nope just seems to me that there are lots of Charvels down there I lived in Houston in 95-96 when I was working at KHOU CH-11. Thats were I bought my first Charvel. I sold it a few years later for peanuts I think it was a 375 but at the time I had no idea what it was. I wish I hadn't sold it now but hey thats life. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Later BB

Comment

Yes, it's definitely a Model 3DR. I'm pretty familiar with the model series since I own all but the Model 1. (plus I've been a member of this board for 2 years, and these guys make sure you know what you have [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

The standard Model 3 was hum, single, single, and a blade selector. However, there are variants of the Model 3. Some have a pickguard (the 3C) some have 2 hums (the 3A) and then there is the 3DR which is what mine is, and it has the reversed headstock. (DR=Dinky Reverse)

I'll take some better pics tonight though my pics won't look as good as the ones you guys posted, unfortunately. I'll do the best I can. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Oh, and thanks for the nice compliments.
                          Dana <~~~
                          '85 Rhoads Custom
                          '86 SD Str*t
                          '86 Model 4 (5)
                          '87 Model 1
                          '87 Model 6
                          '88 Model 3DR
                          '90 650 XL
                          '94 KE-3
                          '97 DR Amberburst
                          '97 Dinky BOFlames
                          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I posted the collage as a new topic called 3 sisters.

Let me know what you think guys

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] BB

Comment

If I don't get a firecrackle now I'm gonna burst.

Comment

Working...
                              X