X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model 5 or 5A

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hi guys, which Model 5 had the Kahler Pro and just 1 Hum? I also am looking for a nice one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Thanks-Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've got one, Jack (w/JT-6). I'll drop you a PM with details.

[/ QUOTE ]

color? post a pic...

Comment

I want this bad boyright here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Charvel-Mode...1QQcmdZViewItem

but my wife would string me up by the nutz if I did...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Dave, I still never found out what you used to fill in the pickup cavities. I've seen other people's guitars and after a while you can see where it was filled. Will this eventually show up as temperature / humidity affects the settling of the wood/foam/filler??

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark (mm2002) did the body & paint work on this one. He's the guru of the Bondo cavity fill. Here's the thread w/ pics of the job:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=3#323644

Mark's method is covered in a couple of threads in the tech section if you search "Bondo". I wrote up a little summary of the steps in this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post417725

The one I did, like Dave's, has shown no signs of of the old cavity or holes for for controls that were filled. I think the key is using the thin coat of glazing putty as a veneer before the primer.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          color? post a pic...

[/ QUOTE ]
          My favorite color: Snow White Pearl Metallic

Comment

Very nice! What's that switch: splitter, boost, kill?

Comment

Thanks! It's a kill switch.

Comment

Quicksilver, did you sand the back of the neck? My 5A neck is painted the same as the body.

Comment

Yes. I'm anti-painted necks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Finished with MinWax Satin Poly, it's protected but feels as smooth, friction-free and unfinished as any oiled neck I've ever felt). I like it much better now.

Comment

Thanks DG for the links, I will check them out and I remember the orginal thread when Dave had Mark refinishing the body.

ps. What is glazing putty?

Comment

DG, sorry to go off topic, but how did that guitar you refinished ever come out?

Comment

The glazing putty is the stuff in the blue can in one of the pics. Made by Evercoat. It's basically the same thing as Bondo (2-part polyester resin) but with fewer solids so it's thinner & easier to spread & sand to a really fine finish. I think Sully mentioned once that he started filling some holes just with the Evercoat putty. The whole idea behind using the 2-part catalyzed stuff is that once it has reacted & hardened it doesn't shrink, expand, or change shape at all. If you top it with catalyzed primer & paint, the repair should never show through. You might even be able to get good results finishing up with rattle cans if you do a really good job with the putty step.

Believe it or not, the project is still in primer! I was dicking around thinking about trying a graphic, then settled on bright green. Then the Dweezils came up so I figured I'd go with something different, then we bought out my partner, moved, etc. I suck, basically... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now it's cold again & raining half the time, so I went ahead & put it together for the time being. Kind of a yellowish baby poop primer color, but it plays & sounds great! I will finish it this Spring, so help me!

Comment

Quick pic in its current state. The JT-6 is coming off as soon as I get a 42mm block for the Schaller I got for it. Probably going to swap out the the Invader for either a Distortion or Custom. Just a little too harsh in this guitar, even with the volume rolled off a bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X