What's this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What\'s this?

Regarding my first Model 3 with flatmount Kahler and no pickguard...

[ QUOTE ]
    Though I was told that a lot of variances did leave the shop back in the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, I remember the seller telling me it was a one of (or few of) a kind "Custom Order". I remember thinking he was full of crap since it was logo'd and plated as an import. But who knows what went on back then, eh?

Comment

Carbuff posted:
      [ QUOTE ]
      Well, if the trem was swapped for a flatmount, you would still have the spring cavity and rout on the back. Did it have that?

[/ QUOTE ]
      You replied:
      [ QUOTE ]
      Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

The evidence points to this being a standard 1986 Model 3A. Somewhere in the chain of ownership someone installed a flatmount Kahler. When I say that some variances left the shop, I mean that if it had a flatmount Kahler, it wouldn't have been a conversion job.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

So flatmount Kahler's had no cavity and springs? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I don't remember the Charvel, it was a long time ago, but I had a flatmount Kahler on a Fender Contemporary Strat and it still worked like most trems in that it had a through the body block and springs and the traditional cavity.

Comment

Flatmount Kahlers were a top-mounted self-contained piece. Instead of tremolo springs, the unit had cams. The routing on the top of the body would be roughly just a square about 2 inches or so with another square towards the neck that was about another 1/2 to 1/4 inch. (not sure on the exact dimensions or the exact shape) There was no need for the tremolo spring cavity.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

I guess there were a heck of a lot of Kahler variations.

Comment

Sure, but only two of them were on Charvel imports that came out of the factory in 1986. The Fulcrum, standard equipment on Model 2, Model 3, and Model 3A. The Flatmount, standard equipment on Model 4, Model 5, and Model 6.

I think you're making this far more complicated than it really is. The guitar in your very first post is the '86 Model 3 which has the Kahler Fulcrum tremolo. By what you're describing the other guitar as it sounds like an '86 Model 3A with an aftermarket tremolo.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Hey, I'm just discussing for the sake of discussion. I could care less about the old one and know what the new one is. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

ok
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

I picked one up on e-bay a couple a weeks ago,it is identical to this one. I was shocked at how clean and well taken care of it was.

Comment

What a hilarious thread! Poor Tekky's clapping with one hand here tryin to keep you straight, Jeff300!

I had one just like that in the pic...bought it brand new in '87. Kahler Fulcrum trem, J90C, two J100's...killer guitar if I remember right.

Comment

Working...
                      X