What's this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this?

2 singles, 1 hum, a pickguard and an early Kahler? I've never seen one like this before.

Re: What\'s this?

<font color="aqua">That's an 86 Model 3, my friend. Looks like a nice one as well! </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Really? I had a model 3 before, and it was SSH, but no pickguard and a different type of Kahler which sat flush against the body and had the bar between the 5th and 6th strings. This one floats and has the bar below the 6th string.

Did they change Kahler types at some point?

Comment

They changed the Model components after 1986. You sure what you had was a Model 3? That sounds like the flat mount kahlers that were on the 1986 Model 4s. Did your other guitar have 3 toggle switches?
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Hmm, I didnt know that they ever used flatmount kahlers on a model 3. I have a model 3 that is h-h with no pickguard and has a floyd that was originally a jt6. Im not sure exactly what the difference is between a 3 and a 3a. I thought it was the pickguard but reading reviews on HC confuses me on that. Was the kahler fulcrum used on pickguarded models throughout its production years or just 86? I know the non picguard models got the jt6 in 87. Maybe they used a flatmount in 86 too? Im not sure. There are so many model 3 variations.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Hmm, I didnt know that they ever used flatmount kahlers on a model 3. I have a model 3 that is h-h with no pickguard and has a floyd that was originally a jt6. Im not sure exactly what the difference is between a 3 and a 3a. I thought it was the pickguard but reading reviews on HC confuses me on that. Was the kahler fulcrum used on pickguarded models throughout its production years or just 86? I know the non picguard models got the jt6 in 87. Maybe they used a flatmount in 86 too? Im not sure. There are so many model 3 variations.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an 87-88 Model 3A. In 86 the Model 2, Model 3 (hss), and 3A (hh) all had the Kahler Fulcrum tremolo. The Model 4, Model 5, and Model 6 had the Kahler Flatmount tremolo. In 1987 they changed them all to the JT6.

You should never read reviews about Charvels on Harmony Central. They don't have a clue.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Oh, so its the pickup config that makes it a 3 or 3a. So, did they make an 86 model 3 without a pickguard? And if so, what type of trem did it have?

Comment

No. All variations of the model 3 in '86 had the Kahler Fulcrum and pickguard.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

In '86, all of the Model 3 configurations had pickguards.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    They changed the Model components after 1986. You sure what you had was a Model 3? That sounds like the flat mount kahlers that were on the 1986 Model 4s. Did your other guitar have 3 toggle switches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it had the 5 way switch. Since I wasn't the first owner its possible the tremolo was swapped, but I'm sure it was a Model 3.

Comment

It is possible that the tremolo was swapped. Though I was told that a lot of variances did leave the shop back in the day.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Well, if the trem was swapped for a flatmount, you would still have the spring cavity and rout on the back. Did it have that?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Well, I picked up this Model 3 for a small amount with the intent to flip it, and all I can say is WOW! This thing is a time machine. It supposedly hasn't been played in close to 20 years, and it is mechanically and electronically dead mint. Not a spot of dust, dirt or anything else. Setup is still good, intonation is near perfect, strings were even like new! Case is clean. Only issues are two chunky paint scrapes. Fretboard is a little bit dry, but I've seen much worse.

Don't know if this case hermetically seals or what, but considering it was just lying in a guy's closet for almost 20 years, I can't beleive the condition it is in.

It plays like a dream. Body weight is nice, frets are great, board is great, Kahler is flawless, pickups sound awesome.

Anyone know what the stock pickups are for the SSH Model 3?

Comment

Either the J90C Jackson USA humbucker and 2 J100 Jackson USA single coils in 1986 or J90C Jackson USA humbucker and 2 J100S Jackson USA single coils in 1987-1988.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X