Charvette 150 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razor View Post

I wondered if it was a J90 in it. Damn. I may have to go back and snag it.
    I will give you aj90 dm me
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

I will give you aj90 dm me
      Dude I really appreciate the offer. I do have a spare J90C I picked up a couple of months ago.

Comment

Figured I'd update this thread. Bit the bullet and bought it today. I've seen several posts about installing Gotoh 1996T Floyds on them due to the one side being open which allows it to fit. Gonna try it out and see. The Bendmaster trem posts from center to center are 71mm, and the Gotoh is 74mm. If it works out I'll be posting pictures of the finished product. I'm going to tear it down this weekend, see what pickups are in it, and see if it's solid wood or plywood. I got it for 200 bucks out the door so I'm gonna toss a little money at it. If it doesn't work out I'll have a spare Gotoh for down the road, and I'll be flipping the Charvette. I'd bet this neck is Made in Japan by the narrow dot spacing, and I'm half ass tempted to scrub the "Charvette" off the headstock to see if it was originally a Model series neck.

Last edited by Razor; 03-08-2023, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Pulled it apart, cleaned, and polished the frets tonight. It has a J-50BC in the bridge, and looks like a J-200 in the neck (no sticker). Looks like every catalog I can find even the 1989 one calls it a Model 150. The body is definitely not plywood. If I had to guess I'd say it's a basswood body. I'm going to order a Gotoh 1996 tomorrow, and will let everyone know that goes when I receive it. The base of the neck has an "S" and a dot on it, but no other marks. I also found an old thread where Tekky posted he had a 188 body, and I assume that's because of the "188" ink mark in the neck pocket like mine has. No idea why they ink marked it like that as there's no doubt in my mind it is a Model 150.

Here's a link to the old thread with Tekky identifying a Model 188 Charvette.

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...0-charvette-id

Last edited by Razor; 03-09-2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
            Pulled it apart, cleaned, and polished the frets tonight. It has a J-50BC in the bridge, and looks like a J-200 in the neck (no sticker). Looks like every catalog I can find even the 1989 one calls it a Model 150. The body is definitely not plywood. If I had to guess I'd say it's a basswood body. I'm going to order a Gotoh 1996 tomorrow, and will let everyone know that goes when I receive it. The base of the neck has an "S" and a dot on it, but no other marks. I also found an old thread where Tekky posted he had a 188 body, and I assume that's because of the "188" ink mark in the neck pocket like mine has. No idea why they ink marked it like that as there's no doubt in my mind it is a Model 150.

Here's a link to the old thread with Tekky identifying a Model 188 Charvette.

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...0-charvette-id

I like the J50BC. Have one in a Jackson USA with a J100 in the neck.

If you can get the Gotoh to fit that would be great.

Comment

j-50bc is a great pickup. especially the ones from the 80s where the magnets have 30+ years of age.

tho, I prefer the ones you can adjust the pole pieces on

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I like the J50BC. Have one in a Jackson USA with a J100 in the neck.

If you can get the Gotoh to fit that would be great.
                Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                j-50bc is a great pickup. especially the ones from the 80s where the magnets have 30+ years of age.

tho, I prefer the ones you can adjust the pole pieces on
                I really like the one in my Model 4. Much more than I thought I would considering I'm a J-80C and J-90C fanboy. Gotoh is supposed to come in tomorrow. I'll post an update tomorrow evening on how it goes.

Comment

Shop sent me a chrome Gotoh at first, so I had to wait out the swap for the correct color.

Long and short of it is that the Gotoh 1996T will work. It just barely fits, but it does fit. As mentioned in the other thread, the low "E" string saddle is in the way if it's slid forward. I slid mine back all the way on the first screw. It's just barely out of the way, and my intonation is fine. My string spacing on the fret board is fine, and I have even amounts left on each side of the low E and high E, and they are not right on the edge of the board either so good to go there too..

Thanks again to darkmore for posting his pictures in the other thread. I'd been too chickenshit to try this without seeing his results. The Bendmaster trem posts are smaller diameter than the floyd posts that come with the Gotoh, so they will not interchange. I figured they wouldn't since it's the same with JT-6 posts, but I did double check to be sure. Here are a few pictures of my results.

The J-50BC sounds good, and I do like it. Electronics work fine, and now to break her in during the next week or two. Plays and feels just like my Model and Contemporary series guitars. Zero doubt in my mind this neck is MIJ. If I were ballsy enough I'd sand the Charvette logo off to see if there's a Model series logo under it, but that neck is so pristine I'm not gonna fuck with it.

Comment

Absolutely Beautiful!!

You find great desls!!

Comment

Neck relief and string height has been set. She's good to go, and a damn nice player. I'm really digging it, and glad I bit the bullet and picked her up.

Comment

I like it, do not lose the original tremolo.

Comment

Working...
                        X