No announcement yet.

Review of my 2013 San Dimas HS HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh, I was asking the OP what kind of neck he planned to use because his post made it sound like he was just going to swap the fingerboard which we all know isn't cost effective. Some folks think about replacing a fingerboard without understanding the cost. It just seemed odd to me that someone would buy a Charvel to only replace the neck to get a different fingerboard wood. Genuine Strat heads with a maple board and no locking nut route are few and far between but if you're going to mutt it up anyway it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      Uh, I was asking the OP what kind of neck he planned to use because his post made it sound like he was just going to swap the fingerboard which we all know isn't cost effective. Some folks think about replacing a fingerboard without understanding the cost. It just seemed odd to me that someone would buy a Charvel to only replace the neck to get a different fingerboard wood. Genuine Strat heads with a maple board and no locking nut route are few and far between but if you're going to mutt it up anyway it doesn't matter.
      Totally agree.

I only used a Model 1 neck because I had a nice one handy and scored a new hardtail body off ebay.
      Since the fit would make a great player, I figured why not, but if the hardtail was complete with the rosewood neck I doubt I'd mess with it. Its too bad they don't offer them with maple fingerboards, because they would look great.

Will try to post up some pics of my 1987/2014 white Charvel hardtail mutt tonight/tomorrow.

Comment

Most of the model series rosewood necks I own look darker than the ebony they use these days anyway. I love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
          Most of the model series rosewood necks I own look darker than the ebony they use these days anyway. I love them.
          +1
          Nice thin, fast and well shaped necks.
          Very hard to beat those Model series guitars, even by today's standards!

Comment

Here's pics of my 1987/2014 Charvel Hardtail Mutt, lol

With the Model 1 neck and MIJ plate on it, need to finish up the electronics this weekend, but even without it, I can already tell its going to play awesome. Hardtail body has nice natural tone & sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
              Hi Matt,
              I was thinking of just a direct swap in a San Dimas HH model neck which has a Maple Fret Board. I do however like the Rosewood but would like to have options and see if it sounds any better or worse with the Maple board.

Comment

I did however pickup a LIL 59. Excellent choice guys. It matches the TB4 perfectly. It's exactly what I wanted in overall tone. Output is silky smooth and when you change pickups from one to the other there isn't this huge volume change like the Classic stack did. I don't like that pickup at all and IMO it had no business in this guitar. If you want a Strat sound, go buy a Strat.

Comment

Here is a few Pic's after install.

Comment

nice, I love the Little 59. I had one as a bridge pu in a Tele once.

if I get one of these HSHT I'll get one of those as well. and a Distortion for the bridge.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                      I don't like that pickup at all and IMO it had no business in this guitar. If you want a Strat sound, go buy a Strat.
                      I have one of them Malmsteen single pickups in my hardtail and it gets real nice strat "hardtail" tones. To me the best "Strats" are "Model 1A's". I've had a few Strat Plus & Deluxe's, great guitars no doubt, but the narrow string spacing and neck radius always bugs me; feel more at home with Charvel necks.

Comment

I'm glad you took my advice mantis a JB and lil 59 are magic together.
                        A screamin demon and lil 59 works great too.
                        I have that combo in my black and white crackle.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                          I have one of them Malmsteen single pickups in my hardtail and it gets real nice strat "hardtail" tones. To me the best "Strats" are "Model 1A's". I've had a few Strat Plus & Deluxe's, great guitars no doubt, but the narrow string spacing and neck radius always bugs me; feel more at home with Charvel necks.
                          I popped a Texas Special into the bridge position of my 1A. Other than that change, love the guitar.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            I popped a Texas Special into the bridge position of my 1A. Other than that change, love the guitar.
                            Yeah, I feel the same way about mine too. The only time I'll ever buy a Strat again is if its cheap, pretty mint and I'm gonna flip it.
                            I think the only reason we can get those 1A's at nice prices still is because of all of the "haters" that can't handle the pointy headstocks. lol

I bet the Texas Special sounds cool. I've had the 1A's with stock Jackson J100's, Dimarzio's, Duncans and now EMG's, they're all more fun to play than any of the USA Strat's I've owned. When my 1A's frets wear out, I'm getting them don't in stainless steel.!
                            Last edited by jspeed; 04-13-2015, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Duncan Custom Custom. Fix that bright issue in a tasty hurry.
                              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
                              A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Working...
                              X