Review of my 2013 San Dimas HS HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
    I have a cool rails in my 2005 H/S pointy and it seems to work well with the TB 14 that is in the bridge.
    Thats one of my choices as it seems to be a fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      Good write up and get some bore oil on that fretboard. It looks as dry as a bone!
      I've been playing guitar since 1979. I all those years I have only had a few professional setups done on all of my guitars. I use to just change strings myself and away I would go.
      I recently took my Jackson SL3 in for a full setup as I use to have the Trem Blocked and Now I have it floating tuned to Eb. When I got it back I noticed the neck was oiled. I played it a few times to check out the work that was done and it sits in it's case.
      Since you mentioned this about the Charvel, I went and got a cool guitar maintenance kit that comes with Polish , cleaner , oil and 2 different rags. One is Micro Fiber the other is like raw leather or something, it's designed to use to clean and oil Rosewood finger boards.
      This is what I purchased:
      http://www.musicnomadcare.com/premiumguitar.html

Dude it's amazing. My neck feels better then the day I purchased it. WOW what an effin difference it made. My god it plays like a dream and it already played extremely well.
      I just want to thank you for pointing that out. Not to mention I polished the body and WOW is it nice. Over the years I have always used Gibson Guitar polish cleaner and thought it was the shit , now that I have used Music Nomad products , I'll never buy any more of the Gibson stuff. I have about 1/4 bottle left of it from years ago, it's going in the trash.

Comment

Have you thought about a Quarterpounder in the neck? I have one in my 3dr body and a JB in the bridge, sounds great

Comment

Little 59's are a great match for the JB JMO.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by tinribs View Post
            Have you thought about a Quarterpounder in the neck? I have one in my 3dr body and a JB in the bridge, sounds great
            No I have not, I will have to do some research on that model. Thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Little 59's are a great match for the JB JMO.
              Thats what I was thinking and this is very high on the list.

Comment

Just wanted to post now about the excellent paint work being done on this new breed of Mexican Charvels.

Picked up one of these hard tails off ebay and I must say the factory in Mexico is doing excellent paint work; very impressive finish fellas.

In the process of building a "classic mutt" with it, using a nice old "Gakki Model 1" neck and the fit is nice & tight and maybe use some "Jackson USA" electronics too. Will post some pictures of it when its finished, but so far, she's looking pretty sweet. Later!.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                  Just wanted to post now about the excellent paint work being done on this new breed of Mexican Charvels.

Picked up one of these hard tails off ebay and I must say the factory in Mexico is doing excellent paint work; very impressive finish fellas.

In the process of building a "classic mutt" with it, using a nice old "Gakki Model 1" neck and the fit is nice & tight and maybe use some "Jackson USA" electronics too. Will post some pictures of it when its finished, but so far, she's looking pretty sweet. Later!.
                  What color did you get? I really like the White and Red. Mine is Red if you looked at the pic's but the White is fantastic. I want to pick up a San Dimas HH with a Floyd in White with the Maple fret board.
                  I'm also thinking that the Hard tail would have been awesome with a Maple Fret board.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                    What color did you get? I really like the White and Red. Mine is Red if you looked at the pic's but the White is fantastic. I want to pick up a San Dimas HH with a Floyd in White with the Maple fret board.
                    I'm also thinking that the Hard tail would have been awesome with a Maple Fret board.
                    My hartail is a white one, and yes, the old Charvel MIJ Model 1 maple fretboard fits like a glove and looks great. It's like the "Model 1" guitar that they never made, but should have.

As far as the San Dimas, picked up a Ferrari red MIJ Pro-Mod two years ago and loving it still.

Don't have any experience on the new Charvel Mexico fret work or neck profiles, but I'd bet they're pretty nice quality too, since the paint work on this new hard tail body is very much on the money.

The early MIJ "model" series guitars have mostly thinner necks, while the MIJ Pro-Mods were a little more "chunky", but still fast. To me the USA necks feel pretty much the same as MIJ, besides the oil or paint used. Truth be told, I like the MIJ a little more because of the roller edges and the way they cut back the "tangs" on the frets; which just feels better to me.

Comment

I'm thinking down the road a Maple Fret board is in it's future. I think it might add a nice flavor to it.

Comment

Just to mention a hot rail single sized hunbucker is going to be brighter than the JB so Lil 59 will get you some smooth meaty tone.
                        If the JB is too bright try a 300k volume pot to tame some of the highs.
                        Hard tails are brighter guitars than a floyd equipped guitar. You could try a DiMarzio PAF in the bridge those pair up nicely with a little 59.
                        Just a few tips for you.
                        Last edited by straycat; 07-01-2014, 07:44 PM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                          Just to mention a hot rail single sized hunbucker is going to be brighter than the JB so Lil 59 will get you some smooth meaty tone.
                          If the JB is too bright try a 300k volume pot to tame some of the highs.
                          Hard tails are brighter guitars than a floyd equipped guitar. You could try a DiMarzio PAF in the bridge those pair up nicely with a little 59.
                          Just a few tips for you.
                          Thank you , the 300k pot is something to consider. CTS or something else you like?

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                            I'm thinking down the road a Maple Fret board is in it's future. I think it might add a nice flavor to it.
                            What kind of neck would you use?
                            Last edited by Matt_B; 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                              What kind of neck would you used.
                              If you want a maple fingerboard neck for a Charvel hardtail, you don't have a lot of options.
                              It'll have to be a 2 1/4 heel, you could get a new one made from Wayne/Mike Charvel and Wayne Guitars in Calif.
                              Maybe Musicraft?

If all else fails, you'll need to get an 86 to 88 MIJ Charvel Model 1 or 1A.
                              You could run down a USA Charvel maple hardtail neck too, but the MIJ's are still floating around at good prices and their quality is second to none.

Good luck, hope it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
                                If you want a maple fingerboard neck for a Charvel hardtail, you don't have a lot of options.
                                It'll have to be a 2 1/4 heel, you could get a new one made from Wayne/Mike Charvel and Wayne Guitars in Calif.
                                Maybe Musicraft?

If all else fails, you'll need to get an 86 to 88 MIJ Charvel Model 1 or 1A.
                                You could run down a USA Charvel maple hardtail neck too, but the MIJ's are still floating around at good prices and their quality is second to none.

Good luck, hope it helps!
                                Musikraft makes necks with the 2 1/4 heel. They make really nice necks!
                                Good deals with:
                                Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Working...
                                X