Hiatus of Pro Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
    A mid-level line? Yeah, I guess with the features the MIC would be their high end import. Even though it's pretty much beginner level quality with an exceptional neck.

And the pro-mods weren't selling well? I thought that was one of CJ's best selling models...
    Probably were selling well for CJ, but a miniscule number vs the other brands.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
      Probably were selling well for CJ, but a miniscule number vs the other brands.
      Charvel and Jackson have always been niche brands. They're Ibenshecterizing their line to mainstream them.

I still think Fender has no idea what to do with the brands. Kinda like asking grandpa to help you go clothes shopping.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I figure with FMIC's failed IPO, you will see some brands get sold off or closed down next year.
        I'm fully expecting Hamer to get sold. I'd guess that Charvel could be a potential sell off also, if the desolation stuff tanks.

Jackson would become Fender's "Metal" Brand.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I figure with FMIC's failed IPO, you will see some brands get sold off or closed down next year.
          I'm fully expecting Hamer to get sold. I'd guess that Charvel could be a potential sell off also, if the desolation stuff tanks.

Jackson would become Fender's "Metal" Brand.
          That would be weird if they only sold off one of those labels. I think Mustaine is older, wiser and more stable than he was a decade ago. I'd like to see what he'd do with Jackson. Not that I care for him personally, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if Jackson and Charvel were owned by an artist... Phil Collen even. Or let Mike, Pablo and the rest of the employees have it.

Time to remove all the corporate BS plaguing Jackson. It would be nice if the owner actually loved the guitars and the brand instead of being in some venture capitalist's portfolio.

Comment

I'd agree that Charvel isn't going to be returning to the Charvel of old under FMIC management. However, "Metal" guitars are a huge market. Jackson competes with Ibanez, Schecter, ESP, etc. and competes well. Despite having very few big endorsers they are highly thought of by most. Even if GC and other crap outlets don't stock many models.

It is in FMIC's best interests to keep Jackson in the game. Charvel unfortunately is a different story. They sort of tread the line between vintage and modern. That is the brand I would be worried about.

From the new models we're seeing I think Jackson is safe, hell, half of sevenstring.org wants one of the x series 7s. Sweetwater Sound sells X series neck throughs so fast they can't stock them. It would be nice to see MIJ guitars return but there are many reasons why they went away for a while. They might come back eventually, but with the India and Indonesian-made guitars looking good it will probably be quite a while.

Relax.

Comment

Time to remove all the corporate BS plaguing Jackson. It would be nice if the owner actually loved the guitars and the brand instead of being in some venture capitalist's portfolio.
              Here's the rub,
              Love of guitar making usually doesn't translate into being able to run a guitar making business.
              As much as I don't like it, a good guitar maker needs the corporate BS to support it.
              Unless you want to stay at the hand to mouth existence.

Maybe FMIC will make Charvel a CS name only. Made by the same team that makes the Fender CS.

Comment

Here's the rub,
                Love of guitar making usually doesn't translate into being able to run a guitar making business.
                As much as I don't like it, a good guitar maker needs the corporate BS to support it.
                Unless you want to stay at the hand to mouth existence.
                Such a defeatist attitude. Yeah, you probably couldn't run a company well, that doesn't mean someone else could.

Comment

Such a defeatist attitude. Yeah, you probably couldn't run a company well, that doesn't mean someone else could.

Thus ends this discussion.

Comment

Thus ends this discussion.
                    Yep.

Before Fender, Jackson used to compete with Suhr, Caparison, ESP, BC Rich, Dean, etc... and you'd find high end customs on the top shelf at many stores.

10 years later they're competing with Schecter, Ibanez, LTD and are relgated to the bargin bin if you can even find them.

Comment

Working...
                    X