Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fully Restored And Finished Charvel Body Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Varg View Post
    Yes, but those are not 80's.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cha....c0.m270.l1313

I cant be the only one who understand the principle of collectible, hard to find and restored. How hard is it to find a Model body that looks like it just came out of the factory, or even better? With not even a fingerprint on it? Maybe i'm just an old Charvel freak, but the idea of building an 80's Charvel, and make it look like i'm in 88 and just took it out of it's box, is extremely appealing to me.

The market is different for this kind of parts. You cant find a J-90C or J-80C, or even the old Jackson single-coils, under 100$. Same for neckplates. Original pickup rings and cavity plates are close to 100$. Bodies and necks sells for anywhere between 150$ and 300$. That's just the way it is, AlienxNation or not.
    I've got tons of those parts, so if you want to pay $100 for a J90C you are welcome to it.

An 80's Basswood import Charvel takes me right back to the days when I could afford a pretty damn good guitar, but I couldn't afford a really great guitar. Sorry. :dunno:

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but quick question: Would you be able to fit a pointy headstock MightyMite 22-fret neck on any Charvel Model 2 body?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
          Sorry to hijack the thread but quick question: Would you be able to fit a pointy headstock MightyMite 22-fret neck on any Charvel Model 2 body?
          It will fit. Not well.

Comment

The market is different for this kind of parts. You cant find a J-90C or J-80C, or even the old Jackson single-coils, under 100$. Same for neckplates. Original pickup rings and cavity plates are close to 100$. Bodies and necks sells for anywhere between 150$ and 300$. That's just the way it is, AlienxNation or not.
            If you ask me, anyone willing to pay anywhere near $100 for a pickup ring, cavity plate or neckplate needs to get their head checked. A 20+ year old piece of cast/stamped metal or plastic isn't 'rare' or 'vintage', it's still just a piece of cast/stamped metal or plastic (which happened to be at some point installed on a mid-priced 80's import guitar). Which ever way you look at it, sellers like AlienXNation encourage this kind of retarded behaviour so whether it's 'just the way it is' or not is debatable.

Either way, my previous question still stands

EDIT:

Thanks MakeAJazzNoiseHere, is it because of the neck pocket shape?

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I think the Mighty Mite neck will be 2 3/16" wide at the heel, and Model Series are 2 1/4", so there will be a gap.

Comment

Ah ok thanks! Anyway back to the topic...

Originally posted by RD

Comment

A friend of mine offered me a pearl white Model 3A body. It just came out of his shop. He's asking 500$ for it. No doubt it's a pro job. I know that a Charvel Model body in ''good'' condition (and never received any kind of body job) sells for around 200$. I think an ''out of factory'' Charvel Model body does worth 500$, maybe even more. What do you have to say about the value of such a job on a classic, hard to find body?
                  Varg,

I'm sorry but you sound like a fool that wants to part with his money.

This last fall I picked up a Model 4 for $125 in almost unused shape (almost no fretwear) and a great looking black body.

Full Disclosure: It's a 1986 which means Kahler that most people don't like, dot inlays, and all electronics were gone. Just a Seymour Duncan Full Shred, volume and Tone. And no case. But even with these "issues", you are telling me you want to pay $500 for a body alone? You are on crack. And I bought this at Nashville Used Music, which is not some 3rd party ebay or craigslist deal, but a DEALER that will not flip unless there is a profit, so just think what he paid for it?

And you think Jackson Pickups are $100? Sure if you can find a sucker.

I've picked up a few Jacksons and Charvels recently where I wanted to restore the original Jackson pickups, so I've been on a hunt recently.

I've paid:

$50 for a great condition J50BC amd 2 J200's here on this forum.
                  $15.50+ship for a J80C on ebay.
                  $20+ship for another J80C on ebay (I accidentally won 2 at the say time).
                  $25 shipped for a J90C shipped from the gear page.

If you want to pay $100 a pickup, pm me buddy and I'll sell you all you want. And if you want to pay $500 for a Model 3A body, I'll sell you the entire Model 4 I have for $500 shipped (in the US) if you are crazy enough to pay that much.

To tell you the truth it would still be a little hard to part with because I've just got the final shipments of parts. I am going to swap the black hardware to gold because black guitar + black hardware, I have too many of these already

Comment

Hey Varg,
                    I can't agree more with DonP's and the "seasoned" members' assessment of model series guitars. I love these things for two reasons. The build quality is decent and they don't cost a lot of money. I wouldn't have eight of these (not including my 375, 475 and Model A) if these were in the price range you are talking about. A couple of my guitars are in near perfect shape but were purchased well below half the cost of the refinned body you mention. Just because someone lists a model 3a (aliennation or whoever) for over $1000.00, doesn't mean it sells at that price. If it did, I'd sell all my model series right now and buy a couple custom shop or pro mod charvels.

Comment

Why do i get the feeling that "Varg" is actually "AlienXnation"?

Comment

Originally posted by dimefan90 View Post
                        Why do i get the feeling that "Varg" is actually "AlienXnation"?
                        If he's not, he's certainly drunk enough of his Kool Aid.

Hopefully most of the potential suckers buying into the bullshit AlienXnation is selling will come here to ask first.

Comment

All the people above said the thruth, even here in Europe ( where everything is more expensive ), model series never sell for that kind of price ( 400-500$ for model 4 and 600-700$ for model 6, and im talking for the guitars in good/really good shape ).
                          Fact is now, alienxnation's sells are quoted like exemples by model series sellers and we see stupids prices right now, it's just boring.
                          Last edited by Florian; 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                            All the people above said the thruth, even here in Europe ( where everything is more expensive ), model series never sell for that kind of price ( 400-500$ for model 4 and 600-700$ for model 6, and im talking for the guitars in good/really good shape ).
                            Fact is now, alienxnation's sells are quoted like exemples by model series sellers and we see stupids prices right now, it's just boring.
                            Is this the guitar you guys are talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140479660529

I watch this guitar for about 2 days and made an offer then it sold. Where can i get one like this??

Also i came on here looking for a place to buy a bar for my jackson tremolo on a model 2. do you know where I can get one online?

Comment

That sounds like it would be a JT6.

Try fretsonthenet.com - I think he has a conversion collar and bar setup.

Comment

Demand will drive up prices.EVERYTHING WILL be collectable.It is all a matter of time,and the buyer. The most important thing is BEING EDUCATED! But all I can say there is SOMETHING about that "Model" series neck that just feels right. I have played a USA 2010 Charvel and I WAS NOT impressed!
                                Last edited by Dan; 01-21-2011, 02:33 AM.
                                HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
                                Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                                (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                                Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
                                Boss TU-2
                                2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
                                1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
                                1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Comment

Working...
                                X