Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fully Restored And Finished Charvel Body Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully Restored And Finished Charvel Body Value?

A friend of mine offered me a pearl white Model 3A body. It just came out of his shop. He's asking 500$ for it. No doubt it's a pro job. I know that a Charvel Model body in ''good'' condition (and never received any kind of body job) sells for around 200$. I think an ''out of factory'' Charvel Model body does worth 500$, maybe even more. What do you have to say about the value of such a job on a classic, hard to find body?
    Last edited by Varg; 01-06-2011, 04:13 PM.

You can get an entire Model series guitar in the $200's, so...

Comment

Please tell me where you find your guitars! 200$ for any Model series would be for an extremely beating up guitar.

Comment

For some kind of gauge, here's what alder USA pro mod bodies go for:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

A basswood import body with a refin will fetch less, pro job or not, unless maybe if it has a Mike Learn or Dan Lawrence graphic on it.

Comment

$500 for a refinished Model 3 body?
          Dude is on crack or he's the idiot on eBay using the name alienxnation.
          That guy needs his head examined.

Like the other have said, the body alone is not even worth $200... more like $150 and that's if it's dead mint.

Throwing an overpriced paint job on a cheap guitar is like polishing a turd.
          You can do it, but at the end of the day it's still a turd.
          Last edited by rjohnstone; 01-06-2011, 04:50 PM.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            For some kind of gauge, here's what alder USA pro mod bodies go for:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

A basswood import body with a refin will fetch less, pro job or not, unless maybe if it has a Mike Learn or Dan Lawrence graphic on it.
            Yes, but those are not 80's.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cha....c0.m270.l1313

I cant be the only one who understand the principle of collectible, hard to find and restored. How hard is it to find a Model body that looks like it just came out of the factory, or even better? With not even a fingerprint on it? Maybe i'm just an old Charvel freak, but the idea of building an 80's Charvel, and make it look like i'm in 88 and just took it out of it's box, is extremely appealing to me.

The market is different for this kind of parts. You cant find a J-90C or J-80C, or even the old Jackson single-coils, under 100$. Same for neckplates. Original pickup rings and cavity plates are close to 100$. Bodies and necks sells for anywhere between 150$ and 300$. That's just the way it is, AlienxNation or not.
            Last edited by Varg; 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

And yeah, AlienXnation is kind of an idiot, but he SELLS! Why does he sell that overpriced crap? Because that's what the market has become, and many, many people are fond of old hard-to-find Charvel parts... and they understand that if they want old Charvel parts, they'll have to pay for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Varg View Post
                I cant be the only one who understand the principle of collectible, hard to find and restored.

The market is different for this kind of parts.
                Ask whatever price you want. If you can get some sucker to pay $500 for a body, then good for you. If you can get $1200 for a Model 3A - good for you.

This summer, I bought a Model 3A with an Original Floyd for $200. Before that, I was barely lucky to get $175 for a 1A and a $400 for a killer Model 4 with EMGs.

Original Jackson pickups - while some may like them - are basically shit. There's a reason why they don't make them anymore and haven't in a long time. Don't treat them like 1959 PAFs.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

the model series are not collectible.
                  I have many times bought entire model series and comtemporaries mint for under $300 for complete guitars.

Comment

They are a little bit collectible, but are still considered a "budget" guitar. 80's MIJ Charvels cannot compete with 2000's MIA Charvels in terms of price.

Well, unless it's a surfcaster.

Comment

I have this beauty then ill do ya one better you can have the whole damn thing with an OFR in it for the shipped price of.....$400 its a "pro restored relic"
                      Ill even find you some sort of drop kick murphys sticker for it....eh what do ya say.

Hell you do 375 and its yours without the trem bar

Haters gonna hate
                      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        in terms of price.
                        Model Series guitars are great guitars for the money. And that means cheap. If you're talking $125 for a Model 4 (like I paid) or $100 (for a Model 1A) - they cannot be beat. You start going higher and higher and all of a sudden, you're in the $400 - $500 range and then you're dealing with wonky trems and questionable control layouts and electronics that fizzle and piddle out on you - all of a sudden a $350 Ibanez RG 550 or a MIJ ProMod looks better and better.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

What is hard to find about Model Series parts? What is collectible about mass-produced import guitars made in the tens of thousands? I must have missed something. Model Series guitars are about getting great bang for the buck, end of story. All the paragraphs of BS and hi-res auction pics in the world aren't going to change that. If somebody chooses to do a full resto and pro paint job on one, good for them, but they need to go into it knowing they aren't ever going to get their money back out of it.

Comment

I just sold my Absinthe Frost (ISH) Model 375 super mod for 415 on the bay, so if done right there may be a buyer out there...but then again that was for a WHOLE GUITAR with duncans and HSC

and a custom paint...Here for reference.

Note also it has some dings and a tip chip. But this guitar was brought back from death and made into damn near perfection. In your terms the body must be worth 800 alone

Haters gonna hate

Comment

Note that its painted with sealer, primer, base, pearlizer, interference color shifter, and clear.....

I am no super pro but I can tell ya that a chitload more went into this axe than the model 3a your talkin about.
                              Haters gonna hate

Comment

Working...
                              X