No announcement yet.

Model 6 problem...any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the narrower string spacing of the JT-6 and don't mind the odd fine tuners at all, but the low-quality pot metal of the baseplate really does affect tone, imo. Not sure what the sustain block was made of on the JT-6, but that may be a big factor as well. At any rate, an OFR has brightened up the guitar & added sustain each time I've made the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      Outside of the string lock I don't see what's so bad about the JT-6. :dunno:
      I'm with you on this one. And I've noticed no tone issues either. In fact, the tone of my Model 4 is my favorite out of all of my guitars.
      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        I like the narrower string spacing of the JT-6 and don't mind the odd fine tuners at all, but the low-quality pot metal of the baseplate really does affect tone, imo. Not sure what the sustain block was made of on the JT-6, but that may be a big factor as well. At any rate, an OFR has brightened up the guitar & added sustain each time I've made the swap.
        The one I'm using might be an oddball... It's got a Jackson logo on it, and it's chrome. It also has a brass sustain block AFAICT. It's set up blocked and the guitar sounds just fantastic. Plus with the narrow string spacing I was able to have correct pole alignment with the standard-spaced Duncan.

I guess if I wanted the best I would put a Floyd on it but the JT-6 sounds OK on this one.

Comment

The one I'm using might be an oddball... It's got a Jackson logo on it, and it's chrome. It also has a brass sustain block AFAICT. It's set up blocked and the guitar sounds just fantastic. Plus with the narrow string spacing I was able to have correct pole alignment with the standard-spaced Duncan.

I guess if I wanted the best I would put a Floyd on it but the JT-6 sounds OK on this one.
          I've always said the JT-6 has a great design, just poorly executed with the subpar materials. That being said, I still have a couple guitars w them...even a USA Jackson that it came stock on. BTW, they all had the Jackson logo on it, whether it was on a J or C. They came out with the all chrome ones on a couple transition model Charvels before going to the toothpaste series. The narrower string space I'd think would be a good selling point for those wanting those specs.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
            I've always said the JT-6 has a great design, just poorly executed with the subpar materials.
            That's the bottom line, right there. Using pot metal and casting them in Taiwan was an IMC cost-cutting idea. Had they been made by Schaller using hardened steel baseplates and hardware, they'd kill the hell out of the Original Floyd Rose simply by being an improved design.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
              I've always said the JT-6 has a great design, just poorly executed with the subpar materials. That being said, I still have a couple guitars w them...even a USA Jackson that it came stock on. BTW, they all had the Jackson logo on it, whether it was on a J or C. They came out with the all chrome ones on a couple transition model Charvels before going to the toothpaste series. The narrower string space I'd think would be a good selling point for those wanting those specs.
              The chrome one came off of a 275, so that makes sense. I never saw anything but black before. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Chrome JT-6's I think only came on the spectrum models.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Welp, I took out the preamp, left the J200s and the J80 I had put in there...and right now, it's basically being played as a single humbucker guitar ......

Guess I will have to look out for some cheap Cool Rails or some J100s, as recommended above.
                  http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Chrome JT-6's I think only came on the spectrum models.
                    Here's a current auction of a 275 with the chrome trem. I bought a similar looking body and trem many moons ago...now stashed somewhere in land of lost parts!
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-275-Delu...item230a928232
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Most of the new Duncans should fit the routes these days, they've re-done a lot of them so they don't have the tab on them anymore.

they should but sometimes dont. mainly cause the wire comes straight out the side. unless your routing for the wires go across then down the humbucker route it will not fit right.

the jt6 sucks for the fact that if you dont have small fingers it can be a pain to fine tune. of course thats my opinion. i had a hard time with my little asian hands. lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X