Model 6 problem...any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 problem...any ideas?

One of the hex holes on my behind-the-nut-lock is stripped. So I can't undo the middle string lock. The key just slips.

Any idea how to unlock it? I really would like to actually use this darn guitar...but it has an out of tune, un-tunable string.

ALSO:

I tried the same guitar at band practice and it sounds a bit mushy (even through phones, mushy).

Could it be the 1200 board? I don't want to take the preamp out as I read here that the stacked single coil buckers sound awful without the pre installed.

Any idea how to brighten it up?
    Last edited by wanthairspray; 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM.
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

1. Vise-grips

2. Don't mess with it or just sell it.

Comment

Swap out those Jackson pickups and 1200 for some EMGs - 81/SA/SA
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks Donnie. I just managed to get the bastard thing loose with another key I scrounged up.

I would like to keep the pickups I have in there. Has anyone here just removed the preamp and left the stock pickups? Did it sound terrible?

Comment

Try changing the battery. And yes the js200s sound like ass without a preamp.

Comment

I have a new Duracell 9V in it.

Maybe it is the brand of battery!:idea:

*cough*
            Last edited by wanthairspray; 09-28-2010, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
              Has anyone here just removed the preamp and left the stock pickups? Did it sound terrible?
              Yup. The humbucker sounds ok, but with too low output. And like Jacksonfreak said, the J-200:s just... kinda shrivel up and die. I replaced the humbucker with a J-80C, and it's awesome, but I have yet to find a good replacement for the J-200:s.

Comment

Buy a new Kahler string lock from kahlerparts.com. It's a direct replacement and easy to install. Besides the stripped screw, that old one probably has string grooves worn into it by now.

As for the electronics, I'm no help because I always remove every last trace of that particular setup and do a fresh passive install with Duncans. I can verify that the existing pickups sound like crap without the JE-1200, though. The mushiness and noise is just part of the deal with it.

Comment

Most of the new Duncans should fit the routes these days, they've re-done a lot of them so they don't have the tab on them anymore.

Comment

Just a quick related question. When did they change the behind the nut lock from a flathead screw to a hex? Was it stock or is it a replacement?
                    My gear
                    87 Charvel Model 6
                    86 Charvel Model 4
                    93 Jackson RR EX
                    93 Jackson Kelly STD
                    88 Ibanez RG560
                    99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                    Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

M6 + J200 - JE1200 = ASS

J100's would make good replacements for the J200's.

Comment

Put it on ebay and say "It's the best sounding guitar I've ever heard."

- E.
                        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                          Yup. The humbucker sounds ok, but with too low output. And like Jacksonfreak said, the J-200:s just... kinda shrivel up and die. I replaced the humbucker with a J-80C, and it's awesome, but I have yet to find a good replacement for the J-200:s.
                          You can do this, replace the stock hum (J50BC, I think) with something hotter...J80, J90. Make sure the stereo jack is working correctly...they easily crap out with the cheap plastic housing.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by Glave View Post
                            Just a quick related question. When did they change the behind the nut lock from a flathead screw to a hex? Was it stock or is it a replacement?
                            You have it exactly backwards. In 1986, the Japanese Charvels were equipped with Kahlers, including the Kahler stringlocks that have the hex screws. In 1987-88, they switched to the Jackson JT-6 trem and Jackson's imitation of the Kahler stringlock, which used the flathead screws. The two stringlocks are completely interchangeable, otherwise. Given how poorly made the JT-6 was, I suspect that the Jackson stringlocks are similarly bad and wear out quickly. They used really soft metal in casting those. Even the Kahler stringlocks ultimately wear out--they develop grooves in the metal where the string is clamped to the blocks, which causes slippage after the string is clamped.

Comment

Outside of the string lock I don't see what's so bad about the JT-6. :dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X